January transfer window 2018

Jareth

14 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Why would the parent club jump now though?

They may have a better options further in to the window, better financial terms or a more suited playing style.  It could be done but there is certainly no rush.

We certainly wont have a full market to pick from yet either. Maybe something better will come up later from our side too.

You are right of course but I would really like to see us move sooner rather than later for a loan target.   

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I think we need more oldies that have played for Bruce at previous clubs.

Sounds a bit of a loaded comment. But actually, how many of that criteria of player have we actually signed? One in Elmohamady? Hourihane was at Sunderland at the same time, but he's hardly an oldie. 

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

That's because we are waiting on the Ioan market to start, that won't be till the end of the window. No rush on the parent clubs just yet till they see their options.

We dont even know who will still be available then.

Patience!

True, but you would like to think that Wyness and Round would atleast be making enquiries and drawing up potential targets for when these parent clubs decide the time is right for to let there unfeatured players go?

Without sounding antagonistic, if someone came in now for say Richards on loan, do we tell them to piss off until late January as we want to see who else comes forward with a better offer first?

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Why would the parent club jump now though?

They may have a better options further in to the window, better financial terms or a more suited playing style.  It could be done but there is certainly no rush.

We certainly wont have a full market to pick from yet either. Maybe something better will come up later from our side too.

I understand your reasoning Nigel but at the same time we also have a promotion to be getting on with/securing and if we have identified a shortlist if you will I would sooner us move now rather than later..

Why do tomorrow what can be done today and all that malarky.

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

, if someone came in now for say Richards on loan, do we tell them to piss off until late January 

Yea, because it will take that long for us to get over the shock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

That's not true though.

Isn’t it? Davis got in through injury. Bree got dropped after a nil nil and others we’re fit. OHare has hardly had a kick. He played Birkir DM on Saturday instead of Doyle Hayes who did well last time he started. He even dropped Jack for  Onomah recently and even though he has been atrocious at times he always plays. Saying it’s not other true means nothing.  Can you back it up? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Isn’t it? Davis got in through injury. Bree got dropped after a nil nil and others we’re fit. OHare has hardly had a kick. He played Birkir DM on Saturday instead of Doyle Hayes who did well last time he started. He even dropped Jack for  Onomah recently and even though he has been atrocious at times he always plays. Saying it’s not other true means nothing.  Can you back it up? 

Davis is the only youth player that has been forced through necessity. Even then Bruce had other options than Davis. he didn't HAVE to play him. Doyle-Hayes has played one game IIRC? There are 3 DMs ahead of him, why is everybody suddenly so sure Doyle-Hayes should be playing? He didn't drop Grealish for Onomah. Grealish was returning from a big injury. He was rightly eased back in. And even if he did drop him, Onomah is younger than Grealish, so how does that prove he doesn't use young players?

He's regularly played Andre Green, he's claimed he wanted to build the side around Jack Grealish (and even if that claim isn't true he's still played Grealish regularly), he's given game time to Rushian Hepburn Murphy, he's given a debut and game time to Callum O'Hare, he's given a debut to Doyle Hayes, he's signed and played James Bree although he ultimately, rightly lost his place; he's signed Sam Johnstone as his number 1, he's signed Josh Onomah and played him regularly.

I've probably missed some others.

That's a hell of a lot of youth involvement for someone who "only uses youth as a last resort".

It's just another lazy criticism of the manager, which has little truth to it.
We do have an aging squad, and we could probably use MORE youth, but I think that's a result of our transfer policy at the moment (which will make sense IF we get promoted). Either way, saying Bruce "only uses youth as a last resort" is demonstrably untrue.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Davis is the only youth player that has been forced through necessity. Even then Bruce had other options than Davis. he didn't HAVE to play him. Doyle-Hayes has played one game IIRC? There are 3 DMs ahead of him, why is everybody suddenly so sure Doyle-Hayes should be playing? He didn't drop Grealish for Onomah. Grealish was returning from a big injury. He was rightly eased back in. And even if he did drop him, Onomah is younger than Grealish, so how does that prove he doesn't use young players?

He's regularly played Andre Green, he's claimed he wanted to build the side around Jack Grealish (and even if that claim isn't true he's still played Grealish regularly), he's given game time to Rushian Hepburn Murphy, he's given a debut and game time to Callum O'Hare, he's given a debut to Doyle Hayes, he's signed and played James Bree although he ultimately, rightly lost his place; he's signed Sam Johnstone as his number 1, he's signed Josh Onomah and played him regularly.

I've probably missed some others.

That's a hell of a lot of youth involvement for someone who "only uses youth as a last resort".

It's just another lazy criticism of the manager, which has little truth to it.
We do have an aging squad, and we could probably use MORE youth, but I think that's a result of our transfer policy at the moment (which will make sense IF we get promoted). Either way, saying Bruce "only uses youth as a last resort" is demonstrably untrue.

Green got in last year through injury. Davis got in through injury. Both grabbed their chance proving given game time our kids can step up. Bree has been treated awfully. Jacks been fully fit for weeks and was dropped. OHare has looked good and deserved at least a place on bench and bringing him on yet he gets dropped all the time from the squad. Doyle Hayes may not be good enough but as with Lyden if you don’t play them you’ll never know. Lyden will leave and i bet in 12 months we’ll say we should’ve give him a chance as is said about Daniel Johnson. You actually made my point for me. Onomah has been given loads of time to adjust and his awful performances have been put down to being a kid yet ours aren’t afforded the same leeway. Hence my OP. Bruce’s treats other youngsters better than ours. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Green got in last year through injury. Davis got in through injury. Both grabbed their chance proving given game time our kids can step up. Bree has been treated awfully. Jacks been fully fit for weeks and was dropped. OHare has looked good and deserved at least a place on bench and bringing him on yet he gets dropped all the time from the squad. Doyle Hayes may not be good enough but as with Lyden if you don’t play them you’ll never know. Lyden will leave and i bet in 12 months we’ll say we should’ve give him a chance as is said about Daniel Johnson. You actually made my point for me. Onomah has been given loads of time to adjust and his awful performances have been put down to being a kid yet ours aren’t afforded the same leeway. Hence my OP. Bruce’s treats other youngsters better than ours. 

Well I totally disagree, but can't be bothered to make the same points again.

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

True, but you would like to think that Wyness and Round would atleast be making enquiries and drawing up potential targets for when these parent clubs decide the time is right for to let there unfeatured players go?

Without sounding antagonistic, if someone came in now for say Richards on loan, do we tell them to piss off until late January as we want to see who else comes forward with a better offer first?

Im 100% certain we have sounded out a number of possible additions, unfortunately id say these will be in demand.   Which brings me to your next point...

If you want to get any teams version of Richards Im quite sure you could get them here this afternoon.  If you have a genuine prospect (or a player whos value you need to protect) then you will have options, therefor you will want to survey these before acting.

I understand your reasoning Nigel but at the same time we also have a promotion to be getting on with/securing and if we have identified a shortlist if you will I would sooner us move now rather than later..

Why do tomorrow what can be done today and all that malarky.

Because its not up to us alone.

On 07/01/2018 at 13:50, sne said:

Can't really say I care about this transfer window.

Doubt we have the money or nous to bring in someone who will lift us much, short term or long term.

Guess we might be a able to shift one or more of the non playing players, but they'll probably hang around picking up salary until whenever their contracts expire.

What? Are you saying we haven't made any good signings?

1 hour ago, sne said:

Seen mentioned that we are looking to offload Thor and Lansbury to fund a loan with option to buy for Lewis Grabban.

No idea if there is any substance to it.

It makes sense. Lansbury isn't a starter here and I am sure numerous championship clubs would want him. Thor also needs to leave for the sake of his own career. 

I agree, we have too many samey one paced midfielders. We wouldnt notice if Lansbury and Thor made way for Lyden and DoyleHayes in the squad, and those funds could then go towards a striker

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I agree, we have too many samey one paced midfielders. We wouldnt notice if Lansbury and Thor made way for Lyden and DoyleHayes in the squad, and those funds could then go towards a striker

Thor doesn’t add anything we’d haven’t got. Lansbury decent for me and can get better if we’d pass the ball more. The reverse pass for OHare on Saturday shows he is better further forward he’s not a DM. CF and DM are the weakest spots for me. 

Niklas Hult is a sensible option for us to sign as cover/starter at LB/LW

He's at Panathinaikos currently but will be able to leave on a free as he's sued the club for not getting any wages this season.

Not currently a regular in the Swedish national side, but the left is by far the area Sweden has the most options with L Augustinsson, O Wendt, M Olsson at LB and E Forsberg, Sam Larsson, 

On a free he would be a good option.

3 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Thor doesn’t add anything we’d haven’t got. Lansbury decent for me and can get better if we’d pass the ball more. The reverse pass for OHare on Saturday shows he is better further forward he’s not a DM. CF and DM are the weakest spots for me. 

Yes that pass was sublime, but the trouble is we have too many who want to play there. Ideally I'd send Onomah back but thats not happening as Bruce thinks hes class and thinks we should "break the bank to keep him"

Somethings gotta give, realistically its the ones who can't get in the team under Bruce