UEFA Nations League 2019

mikeyp102

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Ok, please define how far an offside has to be to be counted offside

I prefered the daylight rule tbh, pretty much your whole body had to be ahead of last defender in those days for offside to be called.

Now it seems toe, nose or other anatomy parts are a couple of centremeters ahead and it's offside.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

That's not what I said.

I didn't say that's what you said - I asked a question of when you think an offside has to be an offside, considering your original post admitted that the player was in fact in an offside position.

You said:

For me, when you're talking centimetres, although officially it is offside, that's not why the offside rule exists. 

So when does the offside become an offside? How far are we talking?

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I prefered the daylight rule tbh, pretty much your whole body had to be ahead of last defender in those days for offside to be called.

Now it seems toe, nose or other anatomy parts are a couple of centremeters ahead and it's offside.

Maybe that was better, maybe not. But the rule is any part of the body that can score a goal.

It seems to me a clear ruling (whether we like it or not) so I don't understand the debate of whether that should or shouldn't be a goal.

33 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I didn't say that's what you said - I asked a question of when you think an offside has to be an offside, considering your original post admitted that the player was in fact in an offside position.

You said:

So when does the offside become an offside? How far are we talking?

The offside rule exists to stop players abusing their position on the field of play. 

As for the rule being clear, it's not. A player can be 20 yards behind the back line, with the ball played to someone else, who can then play it to him to score. He's clearly gained an advantage by being offside, but this "phase" nonsense means it's okay? 

I'm not saying there should be a defined distance or anything like that, I'm saying common sense needs to be used. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

The offside rule exists to stop players abusing their position on the field of play. 

As for the rule being clear, it's not. A player can be 20 yards behind the back line, with the ball played to someone else, who can then play it to him to score. He's clearly gained an advantage by being offside, but this "phase" nonsense means it's okay? 

I'm not saying there should be a defined distance or anything like that, I'm saying common sense needs to be used. 

There are situations where the rule is ambiguous, but this wasn't one of them. 

He was offside and it was a correct call.

In this situation, I can't see how you can argue that specific goal should stand. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

In this situation, I can't see how you can argue that specific goal should stand. 

I don't disagree. 

I'm saying common sense needs to be used. 

The goal the other night should not have stood as per the rules. I don't disagree there. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

This is literally not what he's saying. You're arguing by the current rules it wasn't a goal, and nobody is disagreeing with you. @kurtsimonw is saying the rule is shite and should be changed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Delph now captain. Yes, you read that correctly.

And only on his 5th start of the season for club and country... 

southgate doesn’t help himself by stating he wants to pick players who are playing regularly and then picking the likes of Delph, lingard et al

How England could do with a player who knows how to release a pass forward into space at the right time at the right weight...

About half a dozen times this half alone we had the game open and the pass was either too weak, too soon or too late or too heavy.

We have some awful footballers who will try hard and can "nick a goal" but we lightyears behind the game still.

This isn't a golden generation and we are an awful watch.

Dunno how anyone can complain with that VAR decision. It's exactly why it's needed. Wilson clearly pulled him back and fouled him. If someone did that against England and scored i'd want it overturned.

Wilson is an idiot for doing it. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Â