UEFA Nations League 2019

mikeyp102

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Only days after the FA released a good promotional video telling fans not to be that idiot 

Wish they'd stop saying 'a small number' and face up to what it is. 

England (and most clubs away days) have a new generation of LADS LADS LADS, away day culture has changed, its not necessarily hooliganism its something different, a day in the sun on the piss and the coke, slightest provocation and they try and take on the world

I think labelling it as hooliganism and a football problem is a bit simplistic, you'll see the same people doing the same thing at a lot of gigs and in clubs, its a social problem being magnified by football

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

England (and most clubs away days) have a new generation of LADS LADS LADS, away day culture has changed, its not necessarily hooliganism its something different, a day in the sun on the piss and the coke, slightest provocation and they try and take on the world

I think labelling it as hooliganism and a football problem is a bit simplistic, you'll see the same people doing the same thing at a lot of gigs and in clubs, its a social problem being magnified by football

I think the coke makes it worse, it does seem to make people a lot more aggressive. I worry about how prevalent it is nowadays. My dad is in his early 60's, every one of his mates who used to do coke in the 80's, about 8 of them, all died of heart related issues with the eldest one being 46...

12 hours ago, Junxs said:

Better than the meaningless friendlies its replaced with 8 subs every game

I disagree.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Junxs said:

You don't think it's better? or you don't care for either? There is a difference.

I think the Nations League is bad for 2 reasons.  The first is a footballing reason.  Friendlies were a safe and important opportunity to blood youngsters into the senior side without overly-compromising your world rank by risking a loss in a competitive game.  Now all 'friendlies' have been made competitive, and as such, first 11 selections have become far more safe and much less interesting.  And it's that much harder for the next generation to make the step up in a timely manner.  The second reason is one of UEFA greed.  UEFA had no way of monetising the potentially lucrative friendlies that were being arranged by the individual associations before the Nations League was dreamt up.  Even though they have their own tournament and are rolling in cash, they had to sit back and watch as the FAs made their money.  So the Nations League was UEFA's clever way of getting their cut.  Now pretty much every game is a UEFA-sanctioned competitive game with a direct bearing on the pot you end up in for the next qualifying tournament for the next UEFA or FIFA competition.

**** the Nations League.

• Like 3

yep completely agree with the 2nd part of that

to me it stinks of UEFA casting an envious eye over England playing Brazil in Doha and them thinking how do we get a bit of that money, expanding the Euros to more teams, making the Euros multi country hosts, expanding the CL, there isn't anything UEFA does that my 1st thought isn't "that makes them more money"

as with most things FIFA /UEFA its sold as giving the lowest nations a fighting opportunity and the 1 FA 1 vote thing does the rest

19 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think the Nations League is bad for 2 reasons.  The first is a footballing reason.  Friendlies were a safe and important opportunity to blood youngsters into the senior side without overly-compromising your world rank by risking a loss in a competitive game.  Now all 'friendlies' have been made competitive, and as such, first 11 selections have become far more safe and much less interesting.  And it's that much harder for the next generation to make the step up in a timely manner.  The second reason is one of UEFA greed.  UEFA had no way of monetising the potentially lucrative friendlies that were being arranged by the individual associations before the Nations League was dreamt up.  Even though they have their own tournament and are rolling in cash, they had to sit back and watch as the FAs made their money.  So the Nations League was UEFA's clever way of getting their cut.  Now pretty much every game is a UEFA-sanctioned competitive game with a direct bearing on the pot you end up in for the next qualifying tournament for the next UEFA or FIFA competition.

**** the Nations League.

OK I take on board what you say about the UEFA greed, but I'm not a fan of players getting international call ups without deserving it. It seems like if you come through either Man Utds or Liverpools academy you become a regular for England before you even make 10 appearances for your club. It really annoys me, perhaps far more than it should. When I started watching football in the last 80s' and throughout the 90s a player would only get called up for England if they were good. There used to be something called a B team back then as well where they could try players prior to full call ups.

s for the actual quality of the games, last night for example was a thrilling match with both teams playing well and going for it, had that been a usual friendly it would have been a set of players just going through the motions thinking about the beach.. and most have them would probably have pulled out with "injuries" so they didnt have to play. Everything seems to be about money these days, but as a fan of football I'd rather watch quality football and the Nations League provides that over friendlies. 

25 minutes ago, BOF said:

**** the Nations League.

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you're saying I don't have too much of an issue with the fact that first 11 selections have become less interesting. I don't find it interesting to have players like J'Lloyd Samuel, Rickie Lambert, Jay Bothroyd and Dominic Solanke receiving unwarranted full England caps in games where the entire first 11 is taken off after half time.

The Nations League has been competitive with some great games between evenly matched sides and I prefer it than a week off in the season to watch pointless friendlies with effectively reserve international teams. 

Completely agree re UEFA greed but short of making more games meaningful I'm not sure how the issues around devaluation of international caps and the continued withdrawal of international players could be resolved.

instead we get Hudson-odoi playing in the shite qualifiers and Delph called up to every England squad going

the calling up of undeserving players isn't going to stop no matter who we play or in what format

joe Gomez has played 12 minutes of football since December, straight back in the team for these finals

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

instead we get Hudson-odoi playing in the shite qualifiers and Delph called up to every England squad going

the calling up of undeserving players isn't going to stop no matter who we play or in what format

joe Gomez has played 12 minutes of football since December, straight back in the team for these finals

thats on Southgate though, other big  nations you have to earn your caps

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'd argue what the alternatives are to calling up Fabian Delph and Hudson-Odoi when he was being called up. 

There hasn't been anywhere near as many withdrawals from international squads in the Nations League which has meant that for the most parts we've been playing our strongest team against the strongest team from other nations.

The addition of more meaningful international games as opposed to pointless friendlies is a good thing for me and it seems like the players have taken to the new competition and its produced some great games of football.

Even taking yesterday as an example, the Portugal vs Switzerland game was a good game which if it had been an international friendly there is no way I would have watched and there is no way that half of the players playing would even have been there.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

This may well be true, but it isn't a recent thing with England fans.  It isn't the product of a new generation.  England fans have always, always, always behaved appalling abroad.

Let's please stop coming up with excuses and accept the fact that the nation as, and always has had, a problem with it's fans being abroad.

Â