Harvey Weinstein

maqroll

Harvey Weinstein. What a spectacular fall from grace. I'm guessing there are dozens more victims, maybe more than that. Hard to believe some of these "startled" movie stars though, I'm sure they heard stories. Ultimately it was a woman no longer attached to the industry to raise the alarm on him.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Harvey Weinstein. What a spectacular fall from grace. I'm guessing there are dozens more victims, maybe more than that. Hard to believe some of these "startled" movie stars though, I'm sure they heard stories. Ultimately it was a woman no longer attached to the industry to raise the alarm on him.

Harvey Weinstein’s Accusers Tell Their Stories

Multiple women, including Mira Sorvino, Rosanna Arquette, and Asia Argento, share harrowing accounts of sexual assault and harassment by the film executive.

https://www.newyorker.com/

Harrowing to read but at the same time none of it's surprising which is very sad. Man abuses his position of power over the vulnerable. An open secret in the movie industry for many years it seems.

Trump, Weinstein, O'Reilly, Ailes - Hopefully the outing of this behavior and public shaming will lead to a society that won't accept it any longer. Hopefully.....

(Of course in the case of Trump it led to the GOP helping him get elected to be the President.)

Didn't really fit anywhere else...

Parallels with Savile a bit. Lots of people knew but nobody did anything, in this case seemingly because he was so powerful he could literally ruin you. Some of the stories are grim.

The Hollywood 'casting couch' has been around since the dawn of the studios and for people to come out and say they weren't aware of it smacks of pure bullshit. 

40 minutes ago, sne said:

To continue the Savile parallels, I seem to recall both Jerry Sadowitz and Johnny Rotten calling him out in the 80s, although far more harshly than MacFarlane does here.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Back in 2013.

Everyone knew. No one did anything.

There's a problem when 'everyone knows' but has no evidence. There's quite a few people still working that are 'well known' for being sexual predators. I can think of an American kids TV producer who's been accused of being a bit too friendly with the kids by many people, and a well known comedian who 'everyone knows' exposes himself to female comedians after locking them in the same room. But it's all just whispers and internet stories.

For every one of these that actually turns out to be a predator, there's a chance that an innocent person could be having their life ruined by malicious rumours. You need more than "everyone knowing".

20 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There's a problem when 'everyone knows' but has no evidence. There's quite a few people still working that are 'well known' for being sexual predators. I can think of an American kids TV producer who's been accused of being a bit too friendly with the kids by many people, and a well known comedian who 'everyone knows' exposes himself to female comedians after locking them in the same room. But it's all just whispers and internet stories.

For every one of these that actually turns out to be a predator, there's a chance that an innocent person could be having their life ruined by malicious rumours. You need more than "everyone knowing".

Indeed. The rumours of the producer have been around for years as has the alleged wider Hollywood 'paedophile ring'

In terms of Weinstein, I wonder why it has all come out now? Is it because he isn't as powerful as he was before therefore can't make or break people anymore?

Edited by Xela

Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance had a case in 2004 and buried it. Coincidentally, he received a political donation shortly thereafter. It also appears that the NYT had this story or a related case and similarly buried it, though it's not the first time they've behaved like Pravda. This goes right to the top of the democratic fund raising machine, e.g., him and Wintour hosting a big fund raising event for Clinton last cycle. 

Statements from Clinton/Obama? Nope. Many of those who got all shouty around statements made by the current president are being shown to be a little hypocritical right now. Or at least that's how it appears given the apparent wide-spread knowledge of this guys behavior over many many years.

As with the Saville case mentioned above and the global church scandals, it's amazing the way humans can just not care about the most abhorrent acts. 

20 minutes ago, villakram said:

As with the Saville case mentioned above and the global church scandals, it's amazing the way humans can just not care about the most abhorrent acts. 

It's almost as if Davkaus' post two above yours doesn't exist.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, choffer said:

It's almost as if Davkaus' post two above yours doesn't exist.

I know that it's possible to disagree with Davkaus' post, but I admit that calling it abhorrant is a little too far :P

3 hours ago, villakram said:

Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance had a case in 2004 and buried it. Coincidentally, he received a political donation shortly thereafter. It also appears that the NYT had this story or a related case and similarly buried it, though it's not the first time they've behaved like Pravda. This goes right to the top of the democratic fund raising machine, e.g., him and Wintour hosting a big fund raising event for Clinton last cycle. 

Statements from Clinton/Obama? Nope. Many of those who got all shouty around statements made by the current president are being shown to be a little hypocritical right now. Or at least that's how it appears given the apparent wide-spread knowledge of this guys behavior over many many years.

They've both released statements?

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

They've both released statements?

Yup, they have now as of sometime earlier today, but this has been all over the news for the past few days. Very slow PR response from them imho, especially Clinton who is in full book schilling PR friendly mode right now.

51 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is there a warrant out for his arrest?

nevermind for crime, he might need to be arrested for his own safety as he is persona non grata in the US now and this type of pressure can lead the human mind to a dark dark place.

Â