Harvey Weinstein

maqroll

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Yup, they have now as of sometime earlier today, but this has been all over the news for the past few days. Very slow PR response from them imho, especially Clinton who is in full book schilling PR friendly mode right now.

When you're in a position of authority, or perceived authority, it's wise to refrain from making a statement until you're certain that you're in possession of the facts and your statement has been run past a publicist and a lawyer.

I can only imagine the damage that might be done if a preeminent figure were to make a knee-jerk reaction to an unfolding situation only for it then to turn out they'd jumped the gun or got it wrong.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I expect this being pretty much "Story of the Month", then mostly just vanish and most people forgetting the whole thing. Anyone who's surprised that these things happen in the Hollywood is very naive, Hollywood is full of assholes, desperate narcissists running after fame, etc. Hollywood is made for people being dickwads. I remember Orson Welles talking about Hollywood after he left for Europe, that most people in Hollywood isn't there for the money, as there are easier ways to make it than films, most people are in Hollywood due egos, fame, (perceived) power and feeling of being important.

Hollywood will throw Weinstein, and maybe some others under the bus, do some "We're gonna set up safeguards to prevent this happening again" etc the usual bullshit, and nothing will really change. Hollywood has been utterly disgusting and degenerate place since it was founded. Having some knowledge how the film business work, they are not gonna change anything unless they have to and out of desperation.

Other than the specific comments about Weinstein (which until he gets charged and found guilty are a bit much), I thought Emma Thompson's interview on Newsnight was very good - especially her comments about power (and power imbalances).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, snowychap said:

Other than the specific comments about Weinstein (which until he gets charged and found guilty are a bit much), I thought Emma Thompson's interview on Newsnight was very good - especially her comments about power (and power imbalances).

She never fails to impress. A smart and emotionally intelligent woman.

• Like 1

Rose McGowan has publicly claimed she was raped by Weinstein.

Rest of Hollywood continues to claim to be 'shocked' that they never knew a powerful producer allegedly tried to offer roles in movies for sexual favours. I've never been to Hollywood and know that goes on, its pretty much common knowledge. It even has a name; the casting couch. 

Happy hands Harvey’s world really has come crashing down, what a fall from grace.

I’ll be amazed if he is still drawing breath in 12 months.

I have little doubt about his guilt, I do though feel a little uncomfortable with the trial by media. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 12:28, sne said:

Back in 2013.

Everyone knew. No one did anything.

This isn't calling Weinstein out at all, it's suggesting the actresses are making moves on him to land roles in jobs (rather than him forcing himself onto females who aren't interested which is the allegation).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Happy hands Harvey’s world really has come crashing down, what a fall from grace.

I’ll be amazed if he is still drawing breath in 12 months.

I have little doubt about his guilt, I do though feel a little uncomfortable with the trial by media. 

Given his apparent record, auto-erotic asphyxiation would be the smart money there.

Especially as the back of the bathroom door and the belt of a dressing gown can't complain when you knock one out in front of them.

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

This isn't calling Weinstein out at all, it's suggesting the actresses are making moves on him to land roles in jobs (rather than him forcing himself onto females who aren't interested which is the allegation).

McFarlane has said that the joke was inspired by an experience a woman he worked with had with Weinstein. So it would seem that it was (sort of) calling him out. Albeit far too subtly and ambiguously. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JB said:

McFarlane has said that the joke was inspired by an experience a woman he worked with had with Weinstein. So it would seem that it was (sort of) calling him out. Albeit far too subtly and ambiguously. 

it's suggesting actresses are faking affection for Weinstein to get jobs, not the same as these allegations, in fact it supports what I assume would be his argument that women frequently throw themselves at him for sex.

I understand exactly what you're saying but it's not accurate. He's literally said that a co-star of his was one of Weinstein's victims. She told him (McFarlane) about it and he decided to make a reference to it in a joke, whatever the rights and wrongs of that.

As per here.

Responding to the backlash, he took to Twitter to tell his followers: ‘In 2013, my friend and colleague Jessica Barth, with whom I worked on the Ted films, confided in me regarding her encounter with Harvey Weinstein and his attempted advances. She has since courageously come forward to speak out.

‘It was with this account in mind that, when I hosted the Oscars in 2013, I couldn’t resist the opportunity to take a hard swing in his direction.’

He added: ‘Make no mistake, this came from a place of loathing and anger.’

12 minutes ago, JB said:

I understand exactly what you're saying but it's not accurate. He's literally said that a co-star of his was one of Weinstein's victims. She told him (McFarlane) about it and he decided to make a reference to it in a joke, whatever the rights and wrongs of that.

As per here.

I think I’m the context of the video I’m right, but he’s added more words to it since (but I still think the video and his statement contradict each other).

Video: Women need to stop pretending to be interest in him in a sexual way

Statement: HW was pestering a friend of mine.

They are 2 different things imo.

I totally agree that the joke was ambiguous. I could see why it could be read as women throwing themselves at Weinstein to further their careers. Equally, I can see how it would have been a reference to Weinstein killing careers if he didn't get his own way. That's the way I took it, anyway  

Either way, for a "hard swing" it's really shit and there's a chance MacFarlane could be trying to cover his arse for not saying more at the time. 

• Like 2

Â