Squad Numbers 2017/18

villan-scott

7 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

For the young 'uns out there, before Sky invented football in 1992, a manager would pick his team from the squad and assign numbers 1-11 to whoever was playing. 2 was right back, 3 was left back. For me I like to see traditional positions and numbers but maybe it doesn't matter if you never saw footballers wearing those numbers.

Yep, back when 4-4-2 was yer only man (or 90% yer only man any way) :D

026e26f5c466881d646e3872f7f5571b.png

• Like 4

For me, growing up with Beckham, I think the No 7 is a special shirt. Should be your talisman wearing that, your most skillful player who can produce what no other can. Becks, Raul, Suarez, Villa, Le Tissier, Pires, Cantona,Daliglish. Someone you go to when you need a bit of magic, someone who can dig you out of a hole. Not Bacuna, he probably isn't the most skillful footballer in his own back garden.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

That sir, is a thing of beauty right there.

Obviously Number 4 & 6 were interchangeable for center back/hard man of midfield. Booby Moore of course was a great Number 6 and I remember loving Kent Nielson playing number 6 for us. Peter Reid was an archetypal number 6 'hard man' midfielder and I also think Glenn Hoddle wore number 4 in midfield for England although I maybe wrong with that.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

For me, growing up with Beckham, I think the No 7 is a special shirt. Should be your talisman wearing that, your most skillful player who can produce what no other can. Becks, Raul, Suarez, Villa, Le Tissier, Pires, Cantona,Daliglish. Someone you go to when you need a bit of magic, someone who can dig you out of a hole. Not Bacuna, he probably isn't the most skillful footballer in his own back garden.

Ah yes, who could forget that famous Welsh forward ;)

Agree with you about Bacuna, my dog's arse dingleberry's have better positioning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

A question for younger fans who have grown up with "squad numbers." Do you have any affinity for numbers 1-11 or does it just not bother you what number a player wears?

For the young 'uns out there, before Sky invented football in 1992, a manager would pick his team from the squad and assign numbers 1-11 to whoever was playing. 2 was right back, 3 was left back. For me I like to see traditional positions and numbers but maybe it doesn't matter if you never saw footballers wearing those numbers.

This for me too. I've grew up on the numbers being ridiculous in the professional game. But being a Saturday afternoon centre back at a really, really shit standard... we are 1-11 and I'm number 5! To me, it should be 1-11 for starting people.

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

A question for younger fans who have grown up with "squad numbers." Do you have any affinity for numbers 1-11 or does it just not bother you what number a player wears?

(...)For me I like to see traditional positions and numbers but maybe it doesn't matter if you never saw footballers wearing those numbers.

I'm almost religiously particular about shirt numbers, and especially the number 10. I'm strangely and fanatically obsessed with it. If I see a defender wearing number 10 I'll take it as a personal insult and enough for me to genuinely dislike both the player and his club.  

Numbers 7-11 should never be worn by a defender, and forwards should never wear 2-6. 2 and 3 should always be fullbacks, right and left. 4, 5 and 6 are central defenders or midfielders, and 8 is a central midfielder or maybe, just maybe, a striker. 

I could go on about numbers 12-25 too, but I should stop before someone calls the nurse. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

I'm almost religiously particular about shirt numbers, and especially the number 10. I'm strangely and fanatically obsessed with it. If I see a defender wearing number 10 I'll take it as a personal insult and enough for me to genuinely dislike both the player and his club.  

Numbers 7-11 should never be worn by a defender, and forwards should never wear 2-6. 2 and 3 should always be fullbacks, right and left. 4, 5 and 6 are central defenders or midfielders, and 8 is a central midfielder or maybe, just maybe, a striker. 

I could go on about numbers 12-25 too, but I should stop before someone calls the nurse. 

I hear ya!

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Yep (if I count as a youngster-following football since 1991/92ish).

Exactly how @BOF has it set out is perfect. 

Number 5 is the experienced defender, number 4 his trusted partner. 

Number 6 is the tough tackling, no nonsense ball winning midfielder, number 8 is the attacking link to the forwards, he's the most likely to score the most from midfield.

Number 9 is the main striker and has to score more than the number 10 (the number 10 is also not necessarily a "number 10").

edit - for subs number 12 is the main reserve defender, number 13 is the reserve keeper. I'm not too particular with the other substitute numbers.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Or:

Left wing     Inside left     Centre forward     Inside right     Right wing

Left half     Centre half     Right half

Left back     Right back

Goalkeeper

No substitutes or reserves

No extra time

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Or:

Left wing     Inside left     Centre forward     Inside right     Right wing

Left half     Centre half     Right half

Left back     Right back

Goalkeeper

No substitutes or reserves

No extra time

That's more what nos 1-11 mean to me, I confess. 2-3-5. That's how they played in the good old days, before all this fancy 4-4-2 stuff came in.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Why don't goalkeepers ever get included in the formations? It must piss them off always being taken for granted.

Haha, true! But it will always be 1. No matter what. So no point including him. 

26 minutes ago, Hornso said:

Can somebody confirm Jedinak has changed from 25 to 15? The article list suggests he has, but it doesn't actually say he has changed.

He has, yeah. His number for the Aussies and at Palace too I believe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StewieGriffin said:

Nerd alert!

What numbers did O'Hare, Davis, RHM and the unused kids on the bench wear tonight?

Need confirming but from memory it was:

RHM - 29
O'Hare - 36
Davis - 39

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hornso said:

Need confirming but from memory it was:

RHM - 29
O'Hare - 36
Davis - 39

Doyle-Hayes - 32

Clark- 35

Which means Blackett-Taylor has lost his 35 shirt from last season. Don't know if that suggests he's off on loan or he's been offered a better number in the squad.