Squad Numbers 2017/18

villan-scott

On 7/28/2017 at 15:52, Junxs said:

I always pay special attention to numbers 1-11

So numbers 1,2,3,6,8,10 are all available (Elphick good as gone). Cant remember the last time so many numbers 1-11 were free. 

Like to see Kodjia take the #10

Edit: just realised Taylor took the #3 in January

There were a number of games last season where I believe Taylor was the only 1-11 number in the starting lineup :) 

20 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Samba at #4 is interesting...

Presumably Cissokho and Sanchez have definitely gone then...

I think RDL at 2 is more interesting.  Terry got his number and Samba is 3rd choice CB so #4 was kind of Samba's for the taking.  But Hutton, Bree & even Elmo would be ahead of RDL for the (traditionally right back) #2 jersey. 

Anyhoo, it's all a bit like 'who's the captain'.  Everyone needs to do their job and we'll be grand even if they're wearing #99 :) 

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:
6 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

Am i right in saying he is a homegrown academy player so doesnt have to be named?

I was thinking that but wasn't sure

It's possible.  It would explain Keinan Davis' omission too.  Although it could be argued that Andre Green falls under the same category yet he is included.  Grealish too, although he's probably too well an established senior to be left out.

17 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I hope people who have preordered shirts have got the right numbers! Quite a reshuffle this summer. 

Yeah I was lucky enough with Green & Hourihane. These should have been put out last week before the kits were released. 

52 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

Am i right in saying he is a homegrown academy player so doesnt have to be named?

Theres no such rule in the championship, only prem you have to name 25 people with additional homegrown youngsters. They still need squad numbers though. 

7 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Theres no such rule in the championship, only prem you have to name 25 people with additional homegrown youngsters. They still need squad numbers though. 

my bad , didnt realise it was Premier League only

Nice show of power from Bruce to remove 4 from Richards. Pleasing to see Jack take 10, satisfied we finally have a right footed player with 2 and a defender with 5.  When everyone is back fit we may even see a starting 11 picked from numbers 1-11, which is a weird way, genuinely pleases me. Obviously wont be our best team, but possible. Bacuna, Samba, Gabby in for Elmo, Kodjia and Terry. 

4 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

It wasnt his for the taking though, it "belonged" to Micah Richards, which is why I found it interesting... 

I went and checked in hope that Micah had been given no number. I was disappointed with the result that I found.

A question for younger fans who have grown up with "squad numbers." Do you have any affinity for numbers 1-11 or does it just not bother you what number a player wears?

For the young 'uns out there, before Sky invented football in 1992, a manager would pick his team from the squad and assign numbers 1-11 to whoever was playing. 2 was right back, 3 was left back. For me I like to see traditional positions and numbers but maybe it doesn't matter if you never saw footballers wearing those numbers.

• Like 3