General Election 2017

ender4

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

It was more of a broad point. The last general election where a left wing government was voted in was 1976 so 41 years ago. Anyone eligible to vote then would be 59 now. Doesn't really prove anything either way, I just thought it was interesting in that it could be that you get more right wing as you get older, or equally viable that different generations have certain political leanings and keep them, and that the baby boomers who are Tory have always been right/Tory, while generation x and below have been and always will be socially conscientious.

Wouldn't they be 59+?  And the point still stands, doesn't it?  If the older generations are voting Conservative now then, chances are, many of those voted Labour back in 1974 or whatever.

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

The DUP won't be changing any time soon, they have their demographic I don't claim to understand. But they are what they are.

I don't think their own demographic know what they are themselves anymore, as long as they have their flegs and their maches they are happy. The fact that they are poor and have no prospects doesn't stop them constantly voting for a right wing corrupt conservative party.

2 minutes ago, PauloBarnesi said:

The things is whether you agree with the Telegraph, Guardian, Mail, Sun, Mirror, Times etc, etc you should be aware of the others and that people have a different view point. 

Yeah it's good to know the details of the stuff people are wrong about :)

• Like 2

Typical right wing tactic, attack, attack attack. No solutions, no addressing the real issues. 

Sorry, but you've been figured out. Thatcherism favours the rich at the expense of the poor. The game is changing.

I can't wait for the next election. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Straggler said:

But the number of 65+ is growing not shrinking. With more people living longer that isn't going to change any time soon. Also assuming people bring their political leaning through from their youth to their old age is a mistake. Becoming a parent changes how you think, becoming a pensioner changes your priorities, getting older on average (all these are an average) makes you less keen on change. You can't rely on the Tory vote simply dying out, the bucket is not emptying it is overflowing. The only real solution is for the young as they did in the last election to get out and vote. That lobby on its own if consistent can shift politics significantly over the long term.

Agree with most of that.

SF's entire political philosophy is that British occupation of the six counties is immoral. This goes right back to 1922 when SF refused to take the Irish Free State's oath of fidelity (not even allegiance) to the Crown. We had a Civil War over it. Sure SF only started to recognize the legitimacy of the Irish government around 1987!

No way would they surrender that for what will likely be a short lived parliamentary term. They would only surrender that if something like a vote on NI's independence/reunification was on the table. (Which will never happen, since it is now exclusively the people of Ireland (North and south), not the House of Commons, that decides NI's future.) So it's really, really just an academic matter.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

You can't rely on the Tory vote simply dying out, the bucket is not emptying it is overflowing.

Maybe this long term outlook could be the very thing that strangles the Tories,  just over quite a long time.  

As the bucket starts to overflow and said contents of bucket live longer this will ultimately need to be paid for by the old people themselves somewhere along the line and I suppose (not sure about this part) this could ultimately lead to some sort of unplanned distribution of wealth that Tory voters would never vote for but due to increases numbers there really is no choice.  I think they have no choice but to spend it on care as they all will live longer with forever more complex and expensive needs I would guess ? Wat I mean is the older vote will kill you in the end ? 

10 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Maybe this long term outlook could be the very thing that strangles the Tories,  just over quite a long time.  

As the bucket starts to overflow and said contents of bucket live longer this will ultimately need to be paid for by the old people themselves somewhere along the line and I suppose (not sure about this part) this could ultimately lead to some sort of unplanned distribution of wealth that Tory voters would never vote for but due to increases numbers there really is no choice.  I think they have no choice but to spend it on care as they all will live longer with forever more complex and expensive needs I would guess ? Wat I mean is the older vote will kill you in the end ? 

Interesting points - we'll have to wait and see what happens but regardless of the party in charge the provision of care for the elderly should be high up on the priority list now and will no doubt become a bigger issue as people live longer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Seems May isn't the first lame duck PM to try and do a deal with the DUP ... wonder if the DUP were evil in 2010 or are they like Murdoch and only evil when in bed with the Torys :) 

I don't know, what did Staines tell you to say?

Edited by snowychap

20 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Seems May isn't the first lame duck PM to try and do a deal with the DUP ... wonder if the DUP were evil in 2010 or are they like Murdoch and only evil when in bed with the Torys :) 

Politics is all about timing....

• Like 3

Â