General Election 2017

ender4

Why are people saying Teresa Mays 'Gamble' backfired. It didn't look a gamble at the time - and she was so shite that no one liked here. But calling the election wasn't the risky option. Running the campaign so poorly was the risk.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Could you imagine a coalition of labour- lib dems-SNP and greens? Would be absolute chaos (i know that wasn't your point but imagine if we had a situation like this) 

I don't see it as a problem. For the first time in my voting lifetime I think Labour might actually represent unity. We shall see over the coming months,

We need to get used to coalitions because electoral reform (one day) will bring us many more. No reason why those four can't collaborate together now, even if it's been in the name of anti-Tory and not pro-policy......though that rhetoric might change with Corbyn in charge,

So what happens? They have a majority of 2 with the DUP, and the rest of the house is fairly unified as the anti-tory coalition. A couple of rebels is all it'll take to hold back any peice of legislation.

How long can this coalition of chaos stumble about in a weak and wobbly fashion before they have to call another election?

1 minute ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

I don't see it as a problem. For the first time in my voting lifetime I think Labour might actually represent unity. We shall see over the coming months,

We need to get used to coalitions because electoral reform (one day) will bring us many more. No reason why those four can't collaborate together now, even if it's been in the name of anti-Tory and not pro-policy......though that rhetoric might change with Corbyn in charge,

Really ? - Ive heard many times last night and today - That JC earned respect for running an upbeat campaign and not getting into personal slanging matches. One of the verdicts from the tory campaign seems to be they did to much labour bashing 

31 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well I meant any election not just last nights. and the greens have publicy stated they would never help a tory gov't.

PR, I believe is used in other countries - but the bigger parties still call the shots. 

You get a lot more dynamic mix of parties in a PR system. A small single issue party can get a few members in parliament based on the number of people interested in their single issue, they then get asked to form a coalition and often grow from there into a proper party. It's hard to get a big majority and govern outright if people are not compelled to vote for a major party to prevent their vote being wasted. A party has to be spectacularly good to convince over 50% of the population to vote for them and not one of the other options.

By contrast, first past the post systems nearly always tend towards becoming a duopoly over time. 

Australia uses AV for the lower house where you rank the parties in order of your preference and then votes are distributed in those preferences until one party gets at least 50% of the vote. What this means in practice is small singe issue parties offer to direct their core voters to give their second preference to a similarly aligned major party in return for consideration on their important issues.   

It means a Greens voter (for example) doesn't consider their vote wasted and will put greens first but probably Labour 2nd, knowing that their vote will end up with Labour in a closely contested seat. 

Personally I consider Proportional Representation to be the truest for of democracy. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

So what happens? They have a majority of 2 with the DUP, and the rest of the house is fairly unified as the anti-tory coalition. A couple of rebels is all it'll take to hold back any peice of legislation.

How long can this coalition of chaos stumble about in a weak and wobbly fashion before they have to call another election?

I never thought the lib\dem coalition would last - and the DUP are more aligned with the Tories - they are pro brexit and centre right. Its looking like they won't have a formal coalition just rely on there votes to get stuff through.  

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Really ? - Ive heard many times last night and today - That JC earned respect for running an upbeat campaign and not getting into personal slanging matches. One of the verdicts from the tory campaign seems to be they did to much labour bashing 

the campaign and anti Tory thing aren't the same thing surely ? ... same way that the Tory resurgence in Scotland was as much an anti SNP / Indi Ref thing as Scotland falling in love with the Tories again

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Prediction: This coalition won't last, election by the end of 2017.

God I hope not (election, rather than ConDUP - that can get to ****).  Would probably be a 20% turnout everyone is so pissed off with this shite.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

the campaign and anti Tory thing aren't the same thing surely ? ... same way that the Tory resurgence in Scotland was as much an anti SNP / Indi Ref thing as Scotland falling in love with the Tories again

Think youve misunderstood. It was suggested that Labour had run just a tory bashing campaign - where is its widely believed they had a popular manifesto. 

They might see out the whole 5 years. I mean, the DUP are disgusting, loathsome individuals who actively work against the basic human rights of their citizens, think abortions shouldn't be legal, and hate gays. And they're teamed up with Theresa May. I don't see any incompatibilities at all.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Think youve misunderstood. It was suggested that Labour had run just a tory bashing campaign - where is its widely believed they had a popular manifesto. 

ah ok  ...

Labour themselves steered away from it ( from the little campaigning  I actually saw )  , but their activists most certainly went on a tory bashing campaign , I couldn't go on Facebook without seeing countless May wants to eat our children type images and streams of mis-information and outright lies  ... I don't doubt the Tories had similar memes , but tory activists didn't seem to be taking over twitter and Social media with the same vigour Labour did

Massive damage caused to the conservatives by May and her DUP friends. Even conservatives will be looking at this and thinking something aint right. Meanwhile, Corbyn gets a bit more time to position himself as the saviour, with none of his own MPs allowed to backstab. In some ways, this is better than a 'rainbow coalition'.

So this moral 'victory' for Labour will probably end up with the civil-liberty-hating, human-rights-hating misanthropic robot getting into bed with bigots who have no representatives on the mainland :lol:

Talk about a pyrrhic victory :(

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

More chaotic than Tories/DUP?

If so, why?

Well for starters SNP want Independence Corbyn doesnt want it so they argue there. then you will have the Lib Dems pipping up like they are something. then you will have the greens going on about environment etc. It would be carnage

32 minutes ago, blandy said:

Luckily, we've got continued unflustered, calm, tory leadership. Apart from the fact that absolutely nothing whatsoever has been calm, gone to plan or looked remotely sane and that they're a chaotic abomination.

:crylaugh:

That did make me laugh :) Hard  to complain about that, as I said both choices are complete turd 

In the short term, DUP are bigoted scum who have no place in parliament, and having them help form the government is horrific.

In the medium term, hopefully this damages the tories even more.

• Like 1

Â