General Election 2017

ender4

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

No cant accept that, i think you should blame the 51.9% who voted for it

I blame both, just saying it was a terrible political decision in his part.

9 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I guess applause also for YouGov. I think the only ones to predict the hung parliament as the end result when everyone else was still going for a pretty big Tory majority.

I thought they were a Tory-backed machine that were predicting low Tory votes to encourage a vote for them?  Interesting.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I see she's saying she won't resign, but I still think she's going to have no choice. Together with the DUP, they may have a majority of 4 or 5. So if 3 government MPs rebel, or are indisposed through ill health or absence, then no legislation can be passed. It's not difficult for the Tories and the DUP to reach an agreement, it's achieving anything afterwards that will be almost impossible. 

EDIT: . . . so we're going to have to have another election, is what I'm saying. 

And right on cue:

Arlene Foster (DUP leader): 'It will be difficult for her to survive given that she was presumed at the start of the campaign, which seems an awfully long time ago, to come back with maybe a hundred, maybe more, in terms of her majority . . . Now we’re in the position we find ourselves in tonight so it will be an incredibly difficult evening for her'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/jun/08/general-election-results-2017-uk-live-labour-tories-corbyn-may-election-results-live-news-line?page=with:block-593a56cee4b0be3ed19248a2#block-593a56cee4b0be3ed19248a2

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I see she's saying she won't resign, but I still think she's going to have no choice.

Yes  The usual pattern is for them to say this while they try to gather support from colleagues, and while others confer.  Then they are told to go.  I imagine the deputation is being chosen as we speak.

• Like 1

No more elections

What happened to great dictators of our time. ?  - I think Corbyn should lead a military coop - dictatorship is what we want none of this namby pamby voting stuff.

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, in the replay, do away goals count double, or do we go straight to penalties? 

It's all about momentum now,  to me Labour feels like it has only just started at the moment.  I think the Tories will now tear, rip and bite themselves apart in the gutter,  splashing around in gallons of irony and blood (A political fox hunt if you will where Teresa May is the fox that can't quite run right since it's got vertigo and 2 legs shorter than the other) with the EU pissing themselves at the sheer arrogance of putting party before people just becasue she wanted to make her life easier doing a deal in the future and just before you start dealing.  How difficult the negotiations with the EU are is irrelevant to outside of government,  it's your job that you are paid to do.  

She had a a relatively comfortable seat at the negotiating table but now she has exchanged this for a very, very small unstable stool that's impregnated with glass shard's with a lite but visible dusting of asbestos the silly, silly bitch.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

And right on cue:

Arlene Foster (DUP leader): 'It will be difficult for her to survive given that she was presumed at the start of the campaign, which seems an awfully long time ago, to come back with maybe a hundred, maybe more, in terms of her majority . . . Now we’re in the position we find ourselves in tonight so it will be an incredibly difficult evening for her'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/jun/08/general-election-results-2017-uk-live-labour-tories-corbyn-may-election-results-live-news-line?page=with:block-593a56cee4b0be3ed19248a2#block-593a56cee4b0be3ed19248a2

Whats she on about there 'discussions with the SNP' ? 

Just now, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Youth turnout predicted at 74% compared to 43% in the last election. Amazing by Corbyn! 

If only he'd have bothered to try and mobilize that vote in the EU referendum.

• Like 2

Of course she wont resign,but I would bet she will be gone before the autumn.

Boris has played a blinder, ducked out of the last leadership election because he could see the shitstorm ahead, but will probably ride in as the hero and take over from May.......

Is the result an anti-vote against May or a pro-vote for Corbyn?

2 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Youth turnout predicted at 74% compared to 43% in the last election. Amazing by Corbyn! 

And the drive to get them registered will continue, ready for next time.

In marketing terms, the tories are trying to squeeze the most out of a declining customer base, and Labour are developing new customers.

The eclipse of the tories starts here.  Will take many years, but they must be extremely worried about the end of young voter disengagement - it spells disaster for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Boris has played a blinder, ducked out of the last leadership election because he could see the shitstorm ahead, but will probably ride in as the hero and take over from May.......

Both, I think. As for Boris, bring it on. People seemed to think Trump would cut out the buffoonery once he was in office. Nope. 

Edited by mjmooney

What does the future hold for JC ?

I hold my hand up - he's fought a great campaign, won 30 more seats , and increased labour share of the vote.

That said - he's on 260 seats - quite some distance from ever forming a majority labour government. His main angle now will be to ensure his successor comes from the left of the party - which might not be that straightforward. But that is the legacy he would want. I don't think he would want to fight another election when he is in in his 70's.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If Boris has played a blinder he'll keep his head down. It's poisoned chalice right now.

It was both anti May and pro Corbyn.

7 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

One party says he will scrap tuition fees tge othe other says she will revers fox hunting. Hmm i wonder why ! 

Â