General Election 2017

ender4

7 hours ago, darrenm said:

Labour SNP absolutely is a possibility if Tories fail to get a majority. You could possibly add Green in there too as they're practically telling their supporters to vote Labour.

That would be a fantastic outcome.

It would certainly give him his best chance to get rid of Trident in his first strategic security review.

Edited by sharkyvilla

6 hours ago, bickster said:

So you'll vote for someone who actually was Home Secretary...

Why isn't more being said about this? (John Pilger)

What is quite astonishing about this is that although the media certainly know about it, the story is not being covered in any of the mainstream outlets.

They have decided that the story on cuts in police numbers is acceptable to cover, though even then interviews on eg the Today programme just now emphasise Carlile saying there is no necessary connection between that and the last batch of deaths, and inviting the Labour spokesperson to assert that there was a causal link (which as this is unknowablem is just a debating trick aimed at catching someone out, not a real exploration of the issue).

But the allegation that under May as Home Secretary, the security services knowingly allowed numbers of people to travel to the ME, link up with jihadist groups, receive training and indoctrination, and return here, is not being discussed.

That is utterly astonishing.  Especially since Abedi was apparently one of them.  Could there be a more serious allegation?  Compared to which, stuff about who Corbyn may have met 35 years ago, is just vanishingly trivial.

Even on this page, the allegation has gone completely unremarked, with discussion returning to whether Diane Abbott performs poorly on tv. 

I assume the media have been told not to report it, and have either willingly gone along or have been cowed into silence.  It's less clear why even on here, people don't pick up on it.

Let's put it plainly.  Our security services have taken actions, it is alleged, which have made us more likely to be killed in the streets,  and must have had political cover for this, and yet it's not to be discussed?

• Like 2

It's a pity they didn't stop her from doing any more media stuff before the election. And I bet Corbyn regrets appointing her now, no matter what personal ties they have. The problem is he can't sack her off now so what would Lynton do?

Leaked info to the press that Corbyn would reshuffle the cabinet after the election and Abbott wouldn't be in it?

Or going house of cards for a minute, have her mowed down by a car so she has to resign from the shadow cabinet? 

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

Without meaning to sound too offensive, you are exactly the type of person that the Tories will be counting on in this election - and they'll win because of the same. 

Zero inclination to query anything that is fed through if you're likely to vote that way.

I'm not even sure the Conservatives have discussed any policies or proposals? They've spent the entire time getting the current leader of our country(!) to spout inane crap over and over again whilst slagging off Labour the rest of the time.  There's nothing to their campaign! Can't even answer questions.

But they'll easily win. Because look, some made up stuff about other people being shit and slagging off others.

Britain is shit. 

When did I say i was voting conservative?

I have openly said I strongly dislike May and wont vote for her. But Corbyn does not inspire me either 

Your right Britain is shit but not because of the Conservative Party its because of the Conservative Party and the Labour Party. Both are pathetic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Yes, I've said it before and I'm going to repeat the obvious but depressing truth again.

Whether it's Abbott or Johnson, Gove, May, Corbyn or Fox, we must currently have the poorest selection of low calibre candidates to run this country. All at the most important time in Theresa May's lifetime.

Could any of them run the company or department that you work for? No, but they are going to negotiate Brexit on our behalf. Utterly unimpressed with the lot of them.

Buckle in chaps, it's going to be a bumpy ride. 

While I don't necessarily disagree, if I'm sticking my partisan hat on for a moment, I would point out that Labour's chief point man on Brexit, Keir Starmer (who unlike Diane Abbott, actually is a good performer and is unlikely to change brief in the event of a win) did used to run a large organisation - the CPS - and largely did so very well. 

On a different topic, this is the front page of the Express today:

_96359786_eex06p001-1st.jpg

Now, given the subheading and the political leanings of the editor and the proprietor, this can surely be filed under 'we were only trying to help'. But I've gone 180 degrees in the last couple of weeks on whether this helps the Tories. I saw this headline as a I got off a crowded train, and I can't have been the only passenger expecting it to explode in a shower of nails and shrapnel at any moment. I mean, I don't know what else she can say, but the obvious retort is 'no Theresa, I don't trust you to keep me safe, that's a promise you can't keep, and have failed to keep in three major terrorist incidents in as many months'. It elicits nothing more than a contemptuous snort. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

Without meaning to sound too offensive, you are exactly the type of person that the Tories will be counting on in this election - and they'll win because of the same. 

Zero inclination to query anything that is fed through if you're likely to vote that way.

I'm not even sure the Conservatives have discussed any policies or proposals? They've spent the entire time getting the current leader of our country(!) to spout inane crap over and over again whilst slagging off Labour the rest of the time.  There's nothing to their campaign! Can't even answer questions.

But they'll easily win. Because look, some made up stuff about other people being shit and slagging off others.

Britain is shit. 

I'm happy to admit I may have missed it, or can't remember it, or haven't looked in the right places.

But I can't remember a single part of the Conservative campaign that has given me a reason to vote for them other than "We're not Labour" or "I'm not Jeremy Corbyn"

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

When did I say i was voting conservative?

I have openly said I strongly dislike May and wont vote for her. But Corbyn does not inspire me either 

Your right Britain is shit but not because of the Conservative Party its because of the Conservative Party and the Labour Party. Both are pathetic. 

I disagree.  One party has clearly set out what they're aiming to do.  You might not agree with it (**** knows why not, but people have differing opinions) but I can't see how that's pathetic.

(I didn't mean to imply you were voting Conservative, by the way, just that your way of thinking over those "stats" is exactly how Tories would wish for voters to view such material).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm happy to admit I may have missed it, or can't remember it, or haven't looked in the right places.

But I can't remember a single part of the Conservative campaign that has given me a reason to vote for them other than "We're not Labour" or "I'm not Jeremy Corbyn"

It's because they haven't done anything but attack Corbyn. Crosbyism 101.

33 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I disagree.  One party has clearly set out what they're aiming to do.  You might not agree with it (**** knows why not, but people have differing opinions) but I can't see how that's pathetic.

(I didn't mean to imply you were voting Conservative, by the way, just that your way of thinking over those "stats" is exactly how Tories would wish for voters to view such material).

Fair enough :)

I just think people are being unrealistic and think things are going to be so much better under Labour. I cant see it myself like I said before (a few pages back) the two options are not making me feel positive for the future 

• Like 1

Â