General Election 2017

ender4

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It won't happen.

But in the exceptionally unlikely event it did they'd have to pull the keys to No. 10 from her cold dead hands. She'd try to purge the party before giving in. Her whole persona is dictatorial, do as I say... and those types of people rarely walk from power.

I think YouGov polls allow more assumption of young people voting compared to others. So this could happen if young people did actually go out and vote. Which they won't. But they could.. this time..

You're right about dictatorial though. If things get any closer you'll probably see her start to feel desperate and have a meltdown.

3 hours ago, blandy said:

I know. That's why I said no such thing. The price you pay is, in this hypothetical example mentioned in the blog post, the share price x the number of shares. In my reply I used an example where that came to 1 billion quid. There are then additional costs on top of that headline price.

Why, then, did you talk about 'getting the billion back' after the bit you quoted that ended in ' a return that more than pays for the borrowing'?

22 minutes ago, a m ole said:

47 minutes ago, peterms said:

Baring in mind the usual caveats about polls, but interesting all the same:

If this happened, surely she couldn't continue as PM?

Apparently plans are in hand to replace her.

What's the difference in methodology in the polls this time?  Just before the polls in 2015, there was a 1% difference between the two main parties, and that led to an overall majority.  At present there's a 7% gap, and the Conservatives are going to lose 20 seats and Labour gain nearly 30.  How does that stack up then?

27 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It won't happen.

But in the exceptionally unlikely event it did they'd have to pull the keys to No. 10 from her cold dead hands. She'd try to purge the party before giving in. Her whole persona is dictatorial, do as I say... and those types of people rarely walk from power.

I agree with the 'won't happen' bit (as in I can't see it) but I don't on the if...

Were it to happen then the Tories would ditch her quick smart. It doesn't matter how much she wanted to cling on to things; if there's one thing that Tories don't piss about with: it's knifing an unwanted leader.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Risso said:

What's the difference in methodology in the polls this time?  Just before the polls in 2015, there was a 1% difference between the two main parties, and that led to an overall majority.  At present there's a 7% gap, and the Conservatives are going to lose 20 seats and Labour gain nearly 30.  How does that stack up then?

I gather the problems with the polls in recent years have been understating tory votes, which seems to be due to sampling methods.  Presumably too much online, trying to respond too much to new communication methods, not paying enough attention to known factors like turnout rates.

It's not so much the "shy tory" story we've been told, more a failure of basic methodology and survey design.

Seems hard to credit they could miss something that big, yet I've seen that story told.

This is why tories are relaxed about polls showing them behind.  They've seen that line fail to hold, several times.

I wouldn't place too much faith in the polls, whatever they say.

Worth a shufti:

Quiz: How well do you know your constituency?

How much do you know about your neighbourhood?

How many people in your area voted at the last election? How much older or younger are you than the average voter there?

Use the search box below to find your constituency and take the quiz.

Edit: I have to say, other than the average price of a house in the constituency, I didn't do very well.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 3

Judging by the number of 'kids' I've heard whilst working and how they are lining up to vote we could be in for a few shocks methinks. The tuition fees 'bribe' seems to have worked for a few as well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LancsVillan said:

Judging by the number of 'kids' I've heard whilst working and how they are lining up to vote we could be in for a few shocks methinks. The tuition fees 'bribe' seems to have worked for a few as well. 

Can't blame them really,  it's like free money which is a little different to the current debt model.

Surely almost everyone will try to get a degree,  I would of if it was free and I was that age.

When finding work is getting tougher why wouldnt you try and spend 3 years of your life funded for you! 

Very sceptical of those polls. Refuse to believe them given the past few years. Still expect a tory majority

• Like 1

8 hours ago, snowychap said:

Why, then, did you talk about 'getting the billion back' after the bit you quoted that ended in ' a return that more than pays for the borrowing'?

It's one of the most compelling arguments made for nationalisation, as you probably recall. "Instead of the profits going to private shareholders, or overseas, they would go to the whole country, to cut prices and be reinvested in new infrastructure and returning the initial outlay over time."

7 hours ago, snowychap said:

Worth a shufti:

Quiz: How well do you know your constituency?

Edit: I have to say, other than the average price of a house in the constituency, I didn't do very well.

You scored:
68 out of 100

Rating

0-25: Lost on the way to the shops again
26-50: Room to improve
51-75: You know your neck of the woods
76-100: Bragging rights down the local

quite pleased with that, mind you 26 years in one place...

Â