Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

14 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

But Russian state TV say's everything in Kherson is hunky dory and most support Russia lol? They even had a couple of kids playing under armed guard on the TV just over a week ago??? 

I mean, there are no medicines, goods are 3 times the norm. Probably have citizens being systematically being killed by Russians....but everyone seems happy in this new world.

'The first' - in reality the only one. The only reason they took it is that Russia had a rat inside UA's Southern army group that retreated rather than blowing up the main bridge from Crimea. Other than that Russia hasn't made one actual big city come under their control through military action, almost 4 months later.

Edited by magnkarl

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

When Duda the rabid populist has a better moral compass than you, isn't it time to revise your 'grand statesman' plan?

There needs to be a new part under "Appeasement" in the Oxford dictionary. 

Appease - verb.

To appease somebody - to make someone calmer by giving them what they want.

See: Neville Chamberlain and Edoard Daladier decided to give Hitler Sudentenland without even talking to Czechoslovakia, or Macron and Scholz telling everyone that Ukraine needs to give Russia what they want to stop the war.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 2

The news industry have lost interest in this.  The live tickers have now either disappeared or barely updated.  It's further and further down the news which is now mainly looking at the consequences than the war itself.

I do worry as focus drifts that Government's also lose interest in their support for Ukraine because that is certainly one of the expectations Russia has.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The news industry have lost interest in this.  The live tickers have now either disappeared or barely updated.  It's further and further down the news which is now mainly looking at the consequences than the war itself.

I do worry as focus drifts that Government's also lose interest in their support for Ukraine because that is certainly one of the expectations Russia has.

It was unrelenting jolly news about Ukrainian farmers taking Russian tanks that weren’t fit for purpose.

Turns out, war is a lot harder and people hadn’t been prepped for it like grown ups.

It’s still item number 1 on the news. It’s just that now they’re calling it petrol at £2 a litre.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s still item number 1 on the news. It’s just that now they’re calling it petrol at £2 a litre.

I wonder how long it will be before we in the UK get towards where France seem to be “can we do a deal with Russia to stop the war so our bills come down a bit”.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wonder how long it will be before we in the UK get towards where France seem to be “can we do a deal with Russia to stop the war so our bills come down a bit”.

I’m sure Johnson has factored all this in to his holistic strategy for the UK.

He’s leading the Western World response and has got all the big calls right. But there is a risk that he could be perceived by some cynics as a chancer chasing populist causes without thinking about what happens tomorrow when the bill arrives.

For clarity, I believe we need to give Ukraine what they need to defeat Russia or this will keep on happening. I’m not sure our glorious leader has prepped the country for the potential cost. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m sure Johnson has factored all this in to his holistic strategy for the UK.

He’s leading the Western World response and has got all the big calls right. But there is a risk that he could be perceived by some cynics as a chancer chasing populist causes without thinking about what happens tomorrow when the bill arrives.

For clarity, I believe we need to give Ukraine what they need to defeat Russia or this will keep on happening. I’m not sure our glorious leader has prepped the country for the potential cost. 

Good point, unless I’m mistaken there has not been a single word said about the cost of supporting Ukraine. This cost will be significant.

I agree the cost of not supporting them would be far higher and it’s a must do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Of course, backbones made out of Jelly. Once it starts moving into the autumn the west will be cacking themselves on the fuel crisis and start to suggest to Ukraine that maybe just giving up a fifth of their country to the Ruskis might not be so bad after all.

The problem is Putin doesn't have to factor the extreme poverty of most of his own population into his plans. He's already insulated himself from the potential consequences of that.

He's a nasty man and it's a pointless war, and doubtless a huge mistake on his part. But some of his calculations have been sound - the reluctance of the European democracies to really stomach this huge hit on GDP + living costs being one of them.

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

2 Britons captured by Russia have been sentenced to death, will Boris get them off the hook or even bother trying?

My initial thought was when you go off and fight in foreign wars, you should be in your own, but then, our foreign secretary encouraged it...🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

What the **** is he expected to do? There is no negotiating with these head cases.  They will probably insist on a complete cessation of all support for Ukraine.  They are just flouting all international law, they are a totally despotic state.

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

My initial thought was when you go off and fight in foreign wars, you should be in your own, but then, our foreign secretary encouraged it...🤦‍♂️

That isn't what happened here both were members of the Ukraine Army, under contract. Aslan had been in the Ukraine Army for over two years, not sure about Pinner

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

That isn't what happened here both were members of the Ukraine Army, under contract. Aslan had been in the Ukraine Army for over two years, not sure about Pinner

Definitely sounds like a whole lot of not our **** problem then, IMO.

Just now, Davkaus said:

It is though because they are being tried as mercenaries which they aren't. Both were regular soldiers in the Ukraine Army, they are still British Subjects and entitled to the protection that affords

The Geneva Convention has been broken in relation to British subjects. It is our problem

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Correct. Aslin is married to a Ukrainian and has been over there for many years. The bs is claiming they're terrorists which they clearly are whilst under contract and as they were captured in Ukraine. 

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's not really the point being made here though. It's politically motivated and a blatant FU to Britain. 

Â