Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

To be honest I doubt he will. Everyone can see what a shambles this is. Whoever takes over will be abandoning Putins delusions as fast as possible 

I’m not so convinced those candidates who would be in a position to take over Russia after Putin see the world the same way you or I do. 

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 hour ago, trekka said:

(and I'm surprised you felt the need to post as you did

Because I was being a little silly and a little serious in the same post. There was no attempt to bait in the post.   

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

To be honest I doubt he will. Everyone can see what a shambles this is. Whoever takes over will be abandoning Putins delusions as fast as possible 

If that was the case, I'm not sure how they'd achieve a complete turn around. The Russian public have been subject to ludicrous propaganda for such a long period, they can't just flick a switch and change everyone's minds. They may well ease away but I doubt it'll be that swift. It's not like the sanctions will ease. Ukraine would be after reparations, there's all sorts they'd need to explain and in a way that whoever does take over wouldn't themselves be implicated. Because of what they've done in Ukraine and what they've told the Russian public they can't just go "Thats it we're leaving." The are tens of thousands of families (at least) without their fathers or sons, to be then told their sacrifice was based on a lie and utterly futile is another thing they'd have to try and sell.

It just wouldn't be that easy.

• Like 2

Xi to visit Moscow 20-22nd March.

What are we expecting? 
I assume China will want to de-escalate the war which is bad for business but Putin will want to sell more gas / oil to China and maybe an arms deal. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

What are we expecting? 
I assume China will want to de-escalate the war which is bad for business but Putin will want to sell more gas / oil to China and maybe an arms deal. 

Nothing good will come from that, the very fact he's visiting says enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

What are we expecting? 

China trying to elevate themselves by not getting involved. Almost like a father sorting out 2 squabbling children. 

They won't dare get involved militarily for obvious reasons. 

40 minutes ago, tinker said:

Nothing good will come from that, the very fact he's visiting says enough.

He's having a meeting with Zelensky at some point too. This is Xi playing world statesman

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Does Xi speak English?

A bit but not much seems to be the consensus but that doesn't really matter, I doubt he speaks Russian or Ukrainian either. There are people to do that for him

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

A bit but not much seems to be the consensus but that doesn't really matter, I doubt he speaks Russian or Ukrainian either. There are people to do that for him

Zelensky and Putin both speak good English which is why I wondered. A translator makes an already awkward conversation even more awkward, but it’s purely symbolic anyway so guess it doesn’t matter.

Maybe Xi will have one of his top diplomats doing all the talking and he’ll just be observing.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Zelensky and Putin both speak good English which is why I wondered. A translator makes an already awkward conversation even more awkward, but it’s purely symbolic anyway so guess it doesn’t matter.

They're gonna use this guy

GettyImages-1346959075.jpg?width=968&aut

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Maybe Xi will have one of his top diplomats doing all the talking and he’ll just be observing.

Both speak bollocks in their own language, sit down at a table flags behind them, shake hands

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

He's having a meeting with Zelensky at some point too. This is Xi playing world statesman

Is that right? If so that fills me with slightly more hope. No problem with Xi trying to end the war, as long as the terms are agreeable to all (probably not, but I don't have a problem with him trying). 

I do fear it's a prelude to closer ties with Russia and escalation, though. No good can come of that. 

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Is that right? If so that fills me with slightly more hope. No problem with Xi trying to end the war, as long as the terms are agreeable to all (probably not, but I don't have a problem with him trying). 

I do fear it's a prelude to closer ties with Russia and escalation, though. No good can come of that. 

He's never met Zelensky since the prelude to the war (if ever) and last time him and Putin met, it was in China. Putin went to him. The differences are subtle but big at the same time

2 hours ago, Genie said:

It doesn't matter, meetings like this are always conducted using translators.

Merkel and Putin always used translators even though she speaks Russian and he speaks German.

Â