• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

45 minutes ago, sne said:

Already back tracking on that moronic speech. 

The comment was apparently - "For God's sake this man cannot remain in power"

That sounds pretty unambiguous to me. 

White House doing damage limitation. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

The cynic would say it's almost like the US want's the war to keep going. Surely not...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sne said:

The cynic would say it's almost like the US want's the war to keep going. Surely not...

We’ve known that for weeks. Ukraine is a way to bleed a former superpower dry and hopefully induce change.

That Biden said something as Trumpish as that is certainly interesting.

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

I presume Biden got emotional from hearing the stories from the refugees earlier in the day and went a bit off piste. If Churchill or Roosevelt had a Twitter feed out of Auschwitz they’d probably say much, much worse.

Yes, I went there. What’s happening in Mariupol is Auschwitz level evil, and I’m Jewish.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

I presume Biden got emotional from hearing the stories from the refugees earlier in the day and went a bit off piste. If Churchill or Roosevelt had a Twitter feed out of Auschwitz they’d probably say much, much worse.

Yes, I went there. What’s happening in Mariupol is Auschwitz level evil, and I’m Jewish.

The holocaust was an event in a class of its own and no one (regardless of faith) should ever cheapen that, imo. Mariupol is of a piece with Aleppo and Grozny, a city that is systematically destroyed and a civil population abused by design - but not exterminated on sight. It’s worse than Sarajevo though, making it the biggest atrocity of this type in Europe since 1945.

It’s also important to note that while Putin is a very bad and evil man, he’s not Hitler*. Russia’s campaign in Ukraine is one of old-fashioned imperial conquest, not a racial war to eradicate specific groups of humanity. 

* Caveat, if Putin starts wanging nuclear weapons around willy-nilly then clearly he’s on a fast track to historic infamy. 

Edit: In terms of Biden getting emotional, that’s likely exactly right. I think most of us are, just from witnessing this through screens and social media. 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

I'm hoping the Biden comment was strategic in some way, but it was likely just reckless riffing off script, a Biden specialty. He can't help himself. He went there to flex his muscles but overdid it.

A gaffe like this would normally have been smoothed over in back channels, but those appear to be scrapped.

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Baghdad but on a smaller scale?

Nope, not even after the Iraqis had spent five years ripping it apart. If you want to point to a western equivalent of destruction deliberately inflicted on civilian infrastructure, you’ve got to go back to WW2. 

Â