Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

54 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Re: the Belarus thing, I was reading an article yesterday talking about the threat of nuclear escalation in a conflict with Russia and it was talking about how NATO had wargamed the scenario of NATO being in armed conflict with Russia and how to respond to Russia using a single relatively small tactical nuke on a military base in Germany as a warning. They ran it several times with different personnel to see how they would react.

The first team decided that they would just ignore the nuclear attack and continue with the war against Russia using only conventional weapons in order to prevent further escalation, the logic being that tactical nukes aren't actually substantially more powerful than the most powerful conventional weapons. Which is fair enough.

The second team to run the exercise decided it would be more appropriate to respond with a more significant nuclear strike to illustrate to Russia the dangers of further escalation (which is also fair enough). What made me laugh is that they decided to make that point to fictional Putin by nuking Belarus, who weren't even involved in the fictional conflict.

It does make a weird kinda sense though, given Belarus doesn't have its own nukes. So as @magnkarl said above we might see NATO make an example of Belarus if things end up escalating.

Re the taking of a smaller ally as an example, it’s been done before to great effect. In example the allies took out Mussolini first as they knew that Germany would have to divert forces and attention to Italy. Putin will have to try to do the same and he’ll effective lose another country to NATO as any government that takes over will want to get out of Russia’s clammy hands.

It’s an effective way to both get Russia scared and to rid Europe of one of its last dictators without upping to anti to nuclear war.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

I do feel a bit sorry for Belarus. They're probably being threatened with extinction by Russia if they don't join in. Are they not just a puppet state anyway? 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I do feel a bit sorry for Belarus. They're probably being threatened with extinction by Russia if they don't join in. Are they not just a puppet state anyway? 

Lukashenko himself tried to distance himself from Russia for a while until he figured he couldn’t keep power. Since then he’s has Putin’s help and effectively been a puppet for Putin.

The weird thing is that Putin’s now trained and armed possibly the best army in Europe in less than 4 weeks. It’s ironic that it isn’t his own. He’s created a togetherness that I’ve not experienced since 1989. It’s even more ironic that he’s laid bare the extreme incompetence of his armed forces when most of the world feared his army up until the end of Feb 2022.

The new versions of the soviet wonder tanks and planes aren’t up to the task, and his command structure is all but modern. It’s mind boggling to me that a weapon we trained with in the 70s can penetrate the armour of a 2016 made tank. (T72 obr 2016)

9 hours ago, magnkarl said:

The weird thing is that Putin’s now trained and armed possibly the best army in Europe in less than 4 weeks.

I don't agree with this assessment.  NATO trained for 40 years to make sure that what happened to Russia cannot happen to NATO troops.  Communication and logistics are the foundation of everything and NATO know what they are doing.  If NATO were invading Ukraine as a comparable example I suspect it would have been a 3-4 day thing and then all over.  That is how it is supposed to work with Air / Sea / Land forces working as one to overwhelm to opposition.  NATO would not have columns of tanks stationary in a war situation like Russia.

Their tanks are Russian which is never good (T-72 / T-80).  These are actual death traps and as we have seen they are utterly defenseless around the main turret.  If British Leyland made tanks,  these are it.  They really don't work very well in the cold either (If diesel and super cold they don't start so they leave them running)

Belarus Vs virtually any EU / NATO country would not be good and they would be destroyed,  Romania for example,  NATO standard tanks and a NATO trained force VS Belarus that is a filthy dirty corrupt nation doesn't end well for them.  They have had loads of resignations recently also as they just don't want to fight IMO.

I use tanks as they are easy to compare,  I like tanks as a subject as their design is so different around the world.  An Abrams tank from the US,  Never been blown up by an enemy as far as I know and the new UK Challenger 3 is a beast.

An RPG vs an Abrams,  will not kill it at all.  

It could be a reason why Russia stopped and is just shelling.  Their armor is getting shredded by the Wests anti tank stuff.  Some of these don't even hit the tanks but explode straight above the Russian turrets (weak point).

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't think they know what to do now apart from panic,  they seem to have for some while, heavily backed the horse ridden by a stone cold child killer. They are in it and cant escape the madness of Putin. They are now the Rose West or Myra Hindley of Geopolitics.  Not a great look going forward with no economy or other normal freinds.

As a nation choosing your friends wisely if you are a Belarus sized country is quite important.  Like your life depends on it important.  Without Belarus maybe he wouldn't have gone ahead,  who knows.

18 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Can we have another thread for posting Russel Brand videos?

Things you don't get thread? 

Things that piss you off? 

What do you dislike most about yourself?

How Do You Whip It Out To Point Percy?

What animal could you win a fight with?

Seems to be a, range of threads suitable to post Russel Brand videos. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Afraid this situation has shown the west that nothing short of free elections in Russia is going to do. Or else we’ll be back in the same spiral with a tin pot dictator from FSB.

Keep the sanctions in place until Russia is allowed to elect its own president in a free and fair way. Navalny would sweep it.

Now I'd suggest that is propaganda

Why announce that publically?

"Dear Vlad, you are going to be overthrown and this is your successor"

Nope, not buying that as factually correct

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is only about sowing mistrust  within the Kremlin, reducing its ability to work effectively. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Anthony said:

This is only about sowing mistrust  within the Kremlin, reducing its ability to work effectively. 

Next thing you know they'll be sitting miles apart from each other at a stupidly large table, with Putin shouting at them whilst they visible tremble. 

• Haha 1

Â