Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Despite the fact they can’t access independent news sources you’d think the fact they are being cut off from them might be enough to generate suspicion all was not as it seems.

You’d think so, but don’t underestimate how easy it is to trick a population into believing something. 

You only have to look at the millions of people that believe the earth is round, for example :ph34r:

• Haha 2

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Or, you know, this turd slipping down the wall in slow motion..

350m Brexit claim was 'too low', says Boris Johnson - BBC News

It's a fair point. We do have a fairly free press, able to criticise the government and show them to be liars, and it still often doesn't matter. Imagine what it's be like if the media was unanimously behind the state, and people who criticised Boris had a habit of going missing in the night.

13 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

You only have to look at the millions of people that believe the earth is round, for example :ph34r:

Now you're just flat out lying!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's a fair point. We do have a fairly free press, able to criticise the government and show them to be liars, and it still often doesn't matter. Imagine what it's be like if the media was unanimously behind the state, and people who criticised Boris had a habit of going missing in the night.

Brexit was a bit more nuanced, the dream was to keep what he had and get a bit more on top. You can see why people fell for it.

Putin bombing the shit out of the country next door and denying the Russian citizens access to independent coverage of it should be setting off serious alarm bells.

Call me cynical but this woman on Russian TV looks suspicious as anything.

I find it hard to believe they don't have a delay in the broadcast, especially from the main news channel in Russia.

Also the sign is half in English, half Russian? Why?

This from a Ukrainian MP got me thinking about it.

Anyone worried that China might help support Russia and risk sanctions should probably check who they predominantly export to. Cut out the top 7, even by 20%, and China's economy will be in free fall. (Hong Kong aside)

From Wikipedia

The major Chinese trading partners for 2018 were as follows:

image.thumb.png.43fa4541df454e3ceb1aa6e2c7540a8a.png

Edited by magnkarl

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Call me cynical but this woman on Russian TV looks suspicious as anything.

I find it hard to believe they don't have a delay in the broadcast, especially from the main news channel in Russia.

Also the sign is half in English, half Russian? Why?

This from a Ukrainian MP got me thinking about it.

Pre recorded statement:

arrested, now in court:

11 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Pre recorded statement:

arrested, now in court:

Not really sure what the pre-recorded statement proves. I read a bit yesterday about her mention of brotherhood between Ukranians and Russians. It's also loosely linked to a Kremlin talking talk that they are long lost brothers and belong together as one. Weak connection perhaps but interesting.

The Kevin Rothrock tweet isn't him and her. It's her and her lawyer. I read about him. Belarussian. He lost his licence in Belarus and then acquired one in Russia. 

I just find it all a bit convenient to be honest. Trying to keep an open mind and see the other factors at play. We know Putin loves a bit of theatre.

We have a country where the media is massively, massively restricted and somebody can get on air that easily? We have delays of 'live' news even in the UK, without the same restrictions.

On the flip side, she does seem to be represented by those with a history of defending human rights in Russia. Sergei Badamshin for example. FWIW, Ukranians don't believe it's a legit protest in the slightest. I don't blame them. She spent years spreading Putin's propaganda despite knowing the truth. Rightly or wrongly.

To add to the above,

Strange. Especially considering the videos of people being pulled off the street for holding up blank signs.

The analysis I read yesterday about 'brotherhood' (and much more) here

• Thanks 1

I must admit her and her solicitor do look a bit jolly bearing in mind the grave situation. 

Bozza mentioned this the other day, you would think he would have had intelligence briefings about how genuine it is....... But then it is Bozza. 

Edited by sidcow

Just now, sidcow said:

I must admit her and her solicitor do look a bit jollt bearing in mind the grace situation. 

Bozza mentioned this the other day, you would think he would have had intelligence briefings about how genuine it is....... But then it is Bozza. 

The entire world as reporting it as a legit protest, media, governments, everyone.

You'd think we'd all hold back a bit rather than do the Kremlin's work for them (if it does turn out to be a big psyop)

33 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Kind of difficult to see what Putin gains from this though. 

Trying to soften Russophobia which impacts ordinary Russians in terms of sanctions etc, and also an opportunity for him to demonstrate tolerance of opposition, which is something he has always tried to do.

If one prominent protestor only gets a 10 day sentence, he can show that as evidence of his democratic ideals, while quietly locking up / torturing / disappearing 10s of 1000s of real dissidents.

Edit: just speculating btw, got no idea at all what the truth is, but Putin is a prolific bamboozler who loves to distract and disinform. I tend to trust the instincts of people in neighbouring countries, as they understand his psyche best.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Despite the fact they can’t access independent news sources you’d think the fact they are being cut off from them might be enough to generate suspicion all was not as it seems.

We can no longer get RT in the UK, should I be concerned? 

(Clearly I should not, but I think it's probably easier over a number of years to persuade people into a worldview than you'd think. The people of Russia are no more stupid than the people of anywhere, they've just been fed a different viewpoint for a long time).

Zelensky now talking of how Ukraine cannot be part of Nato - looks like a compromise. Many will say why didn't he agree to this earlier - but there must be countries out there who are glad Russia have had major long term damage done to their economy with no obvious way back for them, let alone the damage they've taken to their army. Maybe Ukraine were playing the long game here. 

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

To add to the above,

Strange. Especially considering the videos of people being pulled off the street for holding up blank signs.

The analysis I read yesterday about 'brotherhood' (and much more) here

I would argue this is not a misdemeanour as the invasion of Ukraine is a "Special Operation", not a war. Therefore it's fake news and she should get a 15 stretch telling such lies. 

Â