• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That’s what scares me most. They’d have weighed up pretty much the worst case scenario in terms of sanctions and their economy and he still thought the best option was to invade a country and kill hundreds of thousands of people. 

I don't think he expects the death toll to be that high. he probably thinks this will be a lot easier.

2 minutes ago, AXD said:

I don't think he expects the death toll to be that high. he probably thinks this will be a lot easier.

Doesn’t the Ukrainian army and their reserves total around 250k soldiers? And then there are the deaths of the Russian soldiers too. 

I’d be surprised if the death toll isn’t well into the thousands but you might be right. 

Either way, it’s the children I feel for the most. Such innocence. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Doesn’t the Ukrainian army and their reserves total around 250k soldiers? And then there are the deaths of the Russian soldiers too. 

I’d be surprised if the death toll isn’t well into the thousands but you might be right. 

Thought it was around half that.

I think the best Ukraine can hope for is to slow the grab of territory. I don't see any pause on the Russian side I think they will try and advance pretty quickly.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Russia will ultimately win. Soldiers, weapons, intelligence - different level to Ukraine. Think you’ll see a lot of jawing from the states but im not too sure they’ve the stomach for this or want to commit the numbers. I don’t think Europe want this either. Gotta feel for the Ukraine. May well get decimated. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I actually don’t think I can fully comprehend what’s happening. Like, I’m not sure the human brain can process it nor can I put into words how utterly insane all of this is. And for what? Why do thousands of men, women and children need to die? Why? 

Like, what the f*** is actually happening? Ukrainians are being slaughtered for absolutely no reason other than the will of one psychopath in Moscow. Why does this have to happen again? Have we not learnt our lesson? 

Ukraine haven’t a hope in hell here (literally) so what are their soldiers doing? I know what they’re doing, they’re fighting until inevitable death. 

It makes me wonder why I brought children into this world. I’ve had a good life, I don’t really care about dying (albeit I’d rather live) but why do children have to witness this. Thousands will die.

Why. Why. Why. Just stop it. 

Nationalism.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Seems BoJo is actually trying to do something.

No chance the US will do that. It means we cut off all oil and gas imports from Russia which would be crippling for Europe. If we cut them off from SWIFT we can't pay for the oil and gas

• Like 1

The social media dynamic will be a challenge for Putin domestically. He can't keep them completely in the dark. As awful as this all is, it will ultimately be looked back on as the beginning of the end for Putin. The Russian people might view this calamity as an opportunity.

Just now, CVByrne said:

No chance the US will do that. It means we cut off all oil and gas imports from Russia which would be crippling for Europe. If we cut them off from SWIFT we can't pay for the oil and gas

They can still pay for it but it takes a lot lot longer to process payments which is why Swift is used as its instant.

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I actually don’t think I can fully comprehend what’s happening. Like, I’m not sure the human brain can process it nor can I put into words how utterly insane all of this is. And for what? Why do thousands of men, women and children need to die? Why? 

Like, what the f*** is actually happening? Ukrainians are being slaughtered for absolutely no reason other than the will of one psychopath in Moscow. Why does this have to happen again? Have we not learnt our lesson? 

Ukraine haven’t a hope in hell here (literally) so what are their soldiers doing? I know what they’re doing, they’re fighting until inevitable death. 

It makes me wonder why I brought children into this world. I’ve had a good life, I don’t really care about dying (albeit I’d rather live) but why do children have to witness this. Thousands will die.

Why. Why. Why. Just stop it. 

Putin believes if he does nothing it will slowly spell the end for him. Belarus will "fall" to the West too. He'll then be fighting opponents at home and be deposed. He's decided no, he'll invade Ukraine and put his puppet in power there and station troops in Belarus and Ukraine to keep the West out. 

To him that decision which comes with sanctions is better than doing nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

They can still pay for it but it takes a lot lot longer to process payments which is why Swift is used as its instant.

Putin knows Europe needs the Russian oil and gas so what sanctions can be put on Russia is nothing severe right now. It'll take years of focussed efforts for the West to cripple Russia's economy. Starting with moving away from buying Oil and Gas from them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Silence from the Germans is defeaning. One of the biggest importers of Russian gas. 

1/3rd of their Gas comes from Russia. Which is why Putin knows the West can't do much. 

Hard as it is to say it but he's won this round. Ukraine is gone now, it's a Russian puppet state ala Belarus. Just need co ordination from the West to slowly cripple the Russian economy. It will take years but that's all we can do.

All the other countries in Europe on the border are part of Nato so if he attacks then he's at war with the entire Western World 

Â