• Amavi
    • Kodjia
    • Hogan (Kodjia 35)
    • Grealish (Lansbury 65)
    • Hourinhane (Adomah 65)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Ah well. It was always a long shot. A reminder to play better football, but also of the size of the task we had given ourselves. Still, we're on a decent run and let's just be positive about finishing that well. 

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

We got what we deserved, and to an extent, what we've deserved for weeks. We haven't played well despite winning seven of the last eight - it's been peculiar and it couldn't last forever. 

I've enjoyed the little bit of a glimmer of the playoffs, even though it has been extremely unlikely - what worries me though is that despite recent results we're not a good football team and we play absolutely no football at all - in the bigger picture and with next season in mind, this run we've been on has papered over some pretty deep cracks. There's a lot of work to do this summer.

Bang on, we've played 41 games and not once put together 90 minutes of decent football, not great, not outstanding, not worldbeating, just decent!

The run was mental, Bruce himself said a few times during the run we need to be better, even though we'd won. On the radio, they were saying Burton were the better side. Which is massive credit to Clough seeing what he has to work with but it's damning for us surely? With the playing staff we have, what is wrong with the coaching (not pointing finger specifically at Bruce, it's been years this) that we can't put out a side that is more than the sum of it's parts? 

Hopefully with the pressure off now Bruce will try and take the defensive shackles off and explore ways of trying to get the best out of the squad in terms of playing actual football.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

Do you mean work on the training ground or major squad overhaul again?

I certainly hope we don't buy another new squad this summer. We've tried doing that twice in one season and look where it's got us. We have a perfectly decent bunch of players now and a manager who has been successful several times in getting teams out of the Championship. What they mainly need now is a period of stability to get to know each other start playing together better as a team.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I certainly hope we don't buy another new squad this summer. We've tried doing that twice in one season and look where it's got us. We have a perfectly decent bunch of players now and a manager who has been successful several times in getting teams out of the Championship. What they mainly need now is a period of stability to get to know each other start playing together better as a team.

I concur. I think Bruce said this week they will only look at adding quality to add a bit of "magic" or words to that effect. 

12 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Bang on, we've played 41 games and not once put together 90 minutes of decent football, not great, not outstanding, not worldbeating, just decent!

The run was mental, Bruce himself said a few times during the run we need to be better, even though we'd won. On the radio, they were saying Burton were the better side. Which is massive credit to Clough seeing what he has to work with but it's damning for us surely? With the playing staff we have, what is wrong with the coaching (not pointing finger specifically at Bruce, it's been years this) that we can't put out a side that is more than the sum of it's parts? 

Hopefully with the pressure off now Bruce will try and take the defensive shackles off and explore ways of trying to get the best out of the squad in terms of playing actual football.

Don't hold your breath. 

I'm now typing with my left hand as I cut my right one off shorty after full time. Never shall I comment on how well we are doing on anything again.

I'm off now to live as a impaired goat.

Although I really think we will benefit from another season down here. If we can storm the league next year we will be better prepared than scraping 6th this year. 

• Like 2

Bruce giving a very honest assessment on WM now. Congratulates Burton and admits we are poor, don't take care of the ball and need to be better to move forward. Quote "Frail without Kodjia"

He echoes all the stuff his critics on here bang on about.

• Like 2

I said this last week and got hammered so here goes again ...... Villa are as bad as they can be with the players we have. We can't be too bad because we have too much quality in the individuals but Bruce is contributing nothing. Yes he bought the players and yes he picks the team but then what exactly is he contributing ?

We still have no playing style and but for the rock solid partnership of Baker/Chester holding the defence together and an in-form Kodjia converting the few chances he gets, we'd be scrapping down with the Small Heathen at the foot of the table.

The midfield is a mess. Jedi plays his role okay but we've turned two major attacking midfielders at this level in Hourihane and Lansbury into exceptionally mediocre players who add little if anything to our attack. The midfield is so disjointed and ineffective that Bacuna looks standout when he plays !

I was never an anti-Bruce man. If he gets it moving, I'll back him but we are approaching the end of the campaign and I still couldn't tell you what our best team is, what our playing style is nor where our goal threat away from Kodjia comes from despite having players who were attacking forces at their previous clubs.

I don't care about drawing at Burton but I'm worried that Bruce appears to have no idea how to create a decent team out of decent players. Yes he can get an extra 10% out of struggling sides but can he actually take quality players and craft a quality side ? I haven't seen the slightest shred of evidence that suggests he can !  

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

I'm now typing with my left hand as I cut my right one off shorty after full time. Never shall I comment on how well we are doing on anything again.

I'm off now to live as a impaired goat.

Although I really think we will benefit from another season down here. If we can storm the league next year we will be better prepared than scraping 6th this year. 

I really think you are letting yourself off too lightly.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We got what we deserved, and to an extent, what we've deserved for weeks. We haven't played well despite winning seven of the last eight - it's been peculiar and it couldn't last forever. 

I've enjoyed the little bit of a glimmer of the playoffs, even though it has been extremely unlikely - what worries me though is that despite recent results we're not a good football team and we play absolutely no football at all - in the bigger picture and with next season in mind, this run we've been on has papered over some pretty deep cracks. There's a lot of work to do this summer.

Agreed and I don't think we will progress any further with Bruce, hope I am wrong but with the players we have there is no excuse to play with so little possession and composure, we play the same brand of McCleish anti football except we have Kodjia to paper over the cracks.

i hope Green and RHM can play now if fit and even Grealish also.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paul33 said:

I said this last week and got hammered so here goes again ...... Villa are as bad as they can be with the players we have. We can't be too bad because we have too much quality in the individuals but Bruce is contributing nothing. Yes he bought the players and yes he picks the team but then what exactly is he contributing ?

We still have no playing style and but for the rock solid partnership of Baker/Chester holding the defence together and an in-form Kodjia converting the few chances he gets, we'd be scrapping down with the Small Heathen at the foot of the table.

The midfield is a mess. Jedi plays his role okay but we've turned two major attacking midfielders at this level in Hourihane and Lansbury into exceptionally mediocre players who add little if anything to our attack. the midfield is so disjointed and ineffective that Bacuna looks standout when he plays !

I was never an anti-Bruce man. if he gets it moving, I'll back him but we are approaching the end of the campaign and I still couldn't tell you what our best team is, what our playing style is nor where our goal threat away from Kodjia comes from despite having players who were attacking forces at their previous clubs.

I don't care about drawing at Burton but I'm worried that Bruce appears to have no idea how to create a decent team out of decent players. Yes he can get an extra 10% out of struggling sides but can he actually take quality players and craft a quality side ? I haven't seen the slightest shred of evidence that suggests he can !  

Surely it's the team that just won 7 out of the last 8 games?

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

But it isn't because the "team" didn't win those games. I saw most of them and Kodjia scored with Chester/Baker hanging on to the lead. In every one of those games, we've played poorly and the opposition have had more possession and but for our defending (often an 11 man defence) we would have lost. Good results but poor performances !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Funnily, I'm not sure that's true.  Yes we won, but without Kodjia there was not a whole hell of a lot to cheer about.  Maybe some other pieces would create more?  Maybe some other pieces would let a forward other than Kodjia have a chance?  

• Like 1

There is still a fair way to go.....the team is good in parts that's all.

we do need stability, but this team still needs players with a different skill set.

We need further additions in the summer, but maybe more quality than quantity.

......We at least need a winger who can undo teams.....and players who are comfortable  with the ball.

like I say, lots to do.

not trying to be depressive, but this team is not ready for the lofty heights we are looking for (I think Steve knows that)....having said that a remarkable job, stopping the rot.

Â