Ron Saunders

tonyh29

1 hour ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Some years ago, I had the tremendous pleasure of sitting and chatting with Ron for ten minutes at the Former Villa Players Association 50th Anniversary. We chatted about the great years leading up to winning the league and he was on tremendous form. Towards the end of our chat I asked if it was true that he left because of Ellis's pending return to the club and he just smiled and said "it was years ago". Throughout our chat people were coming up to him and asking for his autograph and he asked them politely to wait till we had finished. Will never forget it. 

He was with his daughter who subsequently took a great photograph of us together. 

Ron Saunders is one of my all time heroes who genuinely felt that the fans were the most important thing about the club. 

I agree that it is a disgrace that he is not properly acknowledged at VP.

Maybe we need to do something about that....?

Interesting Mike.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Pedant alert : It was his 2nd league game and that was the last game of that season (30/04/75).  Goals from Leonard, Gidman, McDonald & Carrodus.  His league debut was a 2-0 home win v Bristol City 3 months earlier (11/01/75).  Goals from Little & Hamilton.

His senior debut was in the FA Cup on 04/01/75 at Oldham.  A 3-0 win with goals from Little, Nicholl & Graydon.

/Pedant

Was it the first game he started then? I was at the cup game at Ipswich when we were 2-0 up and lost 3-2. That remains my biggest disappointment watching Villa.

Edited by PaulC

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Was it the first game he started then? I was at the cup game at Ipswich when we were 2-0 up and lost 3-2. That remains my biggest disappointment watching Villa.

He started the Bristol game too.

On 27/03/2017 at 21:35, John said:

The goals from the game were shown the following evening on TV. What happened to the footage I do not know I think we all thought that it was recorded over by a Liverpool fan but I think John Lerwill might have mentioned once that all hope is not yet lost that it might turn up again one day. 

Ah! Ok but I remember Gary newbon )or whoever) apologise the following evening that the cameras were not there to cover the game so there must have been some obscure footage from somewhere! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nazvfc said:

Ah! Ok but I remember Gary newbon )or whoever) apologise the following evening that the cameras were not there to cover the game so there must have been some obscure footage from somewhere! 

The BBC possibly? :detect: 

I think they chose Derby over our game. In those days they only covered one game. I thought there wasn't any cameras there at all. Are you sure you are not confusing it with the 5-1 against Arsenal John? We used to score goals for fun then. 5-2 Ipswich, 4-0 West brom lol

Edited by PaulC

On 27/03/2017 at 17:52, PaulC said:

He had no time for Doug I think not the club or the fans. Nothing against Doug but its a disgrace that he has a stand named after him and not Ron.

Trust me , Ellis will be long forgot before Saunders regardless of a stand . And that is what matters to Villa fans .

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

I think they chose Derby over our game. In those days they only covered one game. I thought there wasn't any cameras there at all. Are you sure you are not confusing it with the 5-1 against Arsenal John? We used to score goals for fun then. 5-2 Ipswich, 4-0 West brom lol

In some strange way without cameras it becomes almost some beautiful myth , let it remains that way .

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Exactly my fear.

Thanks for shitting me up with that unnecessary post ? I clicked on here wondering why it had recent posts and expecting the worst. 

It may be his birthday and sadly, he may not know or understand it. I hope he does. 

We know it though, and we salute you. We will remember for you. Everything you achieved - Villa through and through. Thank you.

A true legend.

A Villa legend.

Happy Birthday sir.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, westholmevillan said:

I have great memories of Ron.  Villa were playing a German lower league club in a pre-season game (we had just signed Peter Withe).  I was serving in Germany at the time and I was well pi**ed.  I realised that I could'nt get back to barracks as the last train had left well before the game ended (this didn't deter me as I was desperate to see my beloved Villa in action).  At the end of the game I made my way to the dressing room area and to my surprise the door was open and there was Ron and the team with a couple of crates of beer which the players were enjoying.  I said hello and was offered a beer which I gratefully accepted. To my surprise, Ron asked me about serving in the Army in Germany.  Eventually, we got into to talking about how I couldn't get back to barracks as I had missed the last train.  Villa were staying in a hotel in Dusseldorf and to my amazement he allowed me to travel on the team coach to their hotel from where I could get a connection to get home! It was a fantastic experience for me, and one I'll never forget!

Thanks Sir Ron

Brilliant story and not in the least bit surprising.

thank you for sharing 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dave J said:

Brilliant story and not in the least bit surprising.

thank you for sharing 

You're welcome....I think about that night so often.  You wouldn't get anywhere near the dressing room these days and to transported by the team coach is a very special memory!

3 minutes ago, westholmevillan said:

You're welcome....I think about that night so often.  You wouldn't get anywhere near the dressing room these days and to transported by the team coach is a very special memory!

I can only imagine - I did get a lift if Terry Donovan into town from BH one time - a gentleman 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Â