Ron Saunders

tonyh29

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

didn't see this posted already  ? but the Mail had a nice article about Ron Saunders in it over the weekend

I read it......it was very good.

you can clearly see how the persona of the man resonated through the team.

Ron, for me was our Shankly.....similar characters IMV.

I remember a story about a Surveyor/ architect who was working on the ground.In passing, Ron heard him chattering and rubbishing the team......Ron had him removed from the ground.

No messing with Mr S

ps a story well worth reading and you can see why we was successful.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, BOF said:

An absolute disgrace.  We all know why it's the case.  Because Ellis wasn't part of the success.  But why we, and everyone associated with the club, still allow it to be the case to this day is beyond me.

.....and I think someone with better IT skills than me, ought to write to Dr Tone and explain  our disappointment and ask if the club can remedy it.

It is a major mystery how a man and his cohorts had such a major impact on our history and the records of his achievements are paltry.Its all so very, very disappointing.

Its something I think should be remedied ASAP.

To hell with the past 2 owners and their reluctance to honour him......let's just put the record straight.

We owe him that much.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, BOF said:

An absolute disgrace.  We all know why it's the case.  Because Ellis wasn't part of the success.  But why we, and everyone associated with the club, still allow it to be the case to this day is beyond me.

I heard a rumour once, way way back, that he wanted nothing to do with the club after he left, in any way shape or form. He is a very stubborn man, once he takes a dislike to you that's that.

However he then did return in 2007 for the 25 year European Cup anniversary, so I'm not sure what is and isn't the truth.

Unfortunate as it is, I imagine there will only finally be some tribute to him when he's gone. 

I get the impression once he left football he did not much  to do with it anymore, which you have to respect. What you also have to respect is his achievements at Villa, in which look even more impressive by each year. Promotion, 2 league cups, the title after a 70 year wait and effectively his side winning the European Cup and Super Cup.

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I heard a rumour once, way way back, that he wanted nothing to do with the club after he left, in any way shape or form. He is a very stubborn man, once he takes a dislike to you that's that.

However he then did return in 2007 for the 25 year European Cup anniversary, so I'm not sure what is and isn't the truth.

Unfortunate as it is, I imagine there will only finally be some tribute to him when he's gone. 

He never had an issue with the club, just one man.

He was never a man for fuss or praise.....Ron never wanted praise, just respect.

there is a difference.

I would imagine Ron wouldn't give a toss now as he duffers from dementia.....its about us and what's right.

We need to feel we have respected him for the remarkable achievements.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Built two ,yes two , of the greatest Villa sides to ever grace the game .

Deehan ,Little and Gray . Just the mention of that forward line gives me goose bumps .Ask anyone who remembers about the night they put the mighty Liverpool to the sword . A truly great side ,And even with the loss of the great characters from that side ,along came an even better one ,and the rear, as they say ,.

For me , Ron Saunders is an absolute legend .

Long Live The King .

I was at that Liverpool game. What a night!!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Me too and itv (central tv) took cameras to derby county and so there is no footage of that game as far as I know! Those were great times for us old farts!! 

Edited by nazvfc
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, nazvfc said:

Me too and itv (central tv) took cameras to derby county and so there is no footage of that game as far as I know! Those were great times for us old farts!! 

The goals from the game were shown the following evening on TV. What happened to the footage I do not know I think we all thought that it was recorded over by a Liverpool fan but I think John Lerwill might have mentioned once that all hope is not yet lost that it might turn up again one day. 

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think that was the only time he was invited back! 

I really hope we do not wait to give him a fitting tribute until he has joined the HEITS. Both Ron and Peter McParland sadly will not be around forever and I hope both will get a belated yet fitting tribute very, very soon.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

He was never a man for fuss or praise.....Ron never wanted praise, just respect.

there is a difference.

I would imagine Ron wouldn't give a toss now as he duffers from dementia.....its about us and what's right.

He might not depending on how far the dementia has gone but his family would and I'm sure they would do what they could to let him know. In any case he deserves what he has done for the club marked in a fitting way I'm sure he has always known how much we all think of him his reaction at Villa Park to the fans in 2007 showed that for me.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

there is a difference.

I'm not sure if you've thought that sentence through TRO. We should respect the man's wishes no matter what they are within reason, no matter what mental state he's in.

• Like 1

Great article reminding me of fond times of early childhood, learning about the 'great Aston Villa' from my older brother in the late 70s. My brother took a great amount of time telling me who all the players were on the team poster, and who the manager was. I didn't always get the players' names right, but I always knew who Ron Saunders was. I kind of got the impression that you would have been in for a 'spanking' from him if you were naughty...

Sir Ron of Saunders... really should have a stand named after him. Maybe a revitalised North Stand.

• Like 1

Yes best days to be a Villa fan were under Ron Saunders. He built 3 really good sides!  He rarely made a mistake in the transfer market. Tommy Craig was the only one I think! Great days!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Me too.....and that was no ordinary Liverpool team, it was one of Europes best.

the missus won a portable tv in the raffle in the Aston social that night.....some night for me.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes best days to be a Villa fan were under Ron Saunders. He built 3 really good sides!  He rarely made a mistake in the transfer market. Tommy Craig was the only one I think! Great days!

That '77 side was so exciting too.......Rimmer in lieu of budgie and we would have won the league.

Â