17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

They are not a bad team but under huge pressure they look to have buckled and are not playing as they were a month ago - I’ve watched their last 3 games and the pressure of the situation has got to them in my opinion .

Agree.

Interestinly ( well, slightly so !) although only a snapshot the last 5 games show it’s close.....

Villa Won 3 Drawn 1 Lost 1 Scored 7 Conceeded 2

Derby 3/1/2 Scored 10 Conceeded 5

Boro 3/1/1 Scored 8 Conceeded 5

Fulham 2/1/2 Scored 7 Conceeded 6.

I do like that Goals Against Tally :)

• Like 2

The only thing that can stop us from going up now is complacency to be honest. We have the right players and the right manager to do this, just need consistency and experience to show now for another 2 games. Bruce got it bang on in the first leg. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

The only thing that can stop us from going up now is complacency to be honest. We have the right players and the right manager to do this, just need consistency and experience to show now for another 2 games. Bruce got it bang on in the first leg. 

I don’t think there will be any complacency - the mindset is bang on and everyone focussed on the aim of promotion .

many players are playing for contracts here next season too .

10 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Would still make Fulham favourites to go as I wouldn't be surprised for them to win the home leg by a couple of goals.

Derby score and Fulham need three. I don't think they'll get three if Derby are as disciplined as they were in the first leg. 

14 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Derby score and Fulham need three. I don't think they'll get three if Derby are as disciplined as they were in the first leg. 

or 2 and win on pens!

• Like 1

Boro beat us by two goals at villa park. Ok it was a weaker side but they still have beaten us at villa park. I expect pulis to play Hanford, assembolonga downing and traore. Therfore we will really have to expect a onslaught here. Will be difficult to keep all of those quiet for another 90. We have two take the game to them so they are more under pressure to score.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Boro beat us by two goals at villa park. Ok it was a weaker side but they still have beaten us at villa park. I expect pulis to play Hanford, assembolonga downing and traore. Therfore we will really have to expect a onslaught here. Will be difficult to keep all of those quiet for another 90. We have two take the game to them so they are more under pressure to score.

Pullis is not happy chasing a game, it’s ours to lose and we will have chances, just hope grabban and the others take those chances.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Pullis is not happy chasing a game, it’s ours to lose and we will have chances, just hope grabban and the others take those chances.

Yep for sure. We certainly have to create a hell of a lot more than we did at riverside. Second half we created very very little

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Yep for sure. We certainly have to create a hell of a lot more than we did at riverside. Second half we created very very little

Looking forward to the noise, it will have an impact.

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Can't see it. Pulus only played with one striker yesterday, and even when chasing the game (at home) he replaced assembolonga with Bamford, rather than going with 2 up top. 

There is absolutely no way (imo) that Tony Pulis will come to VP and start with 2 upfront. Its just not in his make-up. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Looking forward to the noise, it will have an impact.

That's something boro are going to try do score early to quieter us down. 

I think pulis will study the hull second leg game where they almost imploded

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Can't see it. Pulus only played with one striker yesterday, and even when chasing the game (at home) he replaced assembolonga with Bamford, rather than going with 2 up top. 

There is absolutely no way (imo) that Tony Pulis will come to VP and start with 2 upfront. Its just not in his make-up. 

Because he knows there is another 90 mins he did not need to take ultra risks at that stage. He will have to take risks this leg.

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Pulis really said it all in his post match interview, when he said “we really did enough not to lose” ... that’s his career summed up in a sentence.

100%. I don't subscribe to sky so i went to my moms to watch the game yesterday., and my mom and her husband are both baggies fans. 

As soon as the first goal went in, they both said 'that's it, tie over'. 

13 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Agree, he sounded pretty downbeat in his post match interview on Sky last night when he said, "There's no hiding from the fact they've got the advantage and it's going to be difficult at a full Villa Paaaaahk".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Pulis will never play such an attacking team - we’d kill them off quickly if he did as we did to Bristol city and wolves - he is defence minded and will never change - he will hope to nick a goal from a set piece and defend well - I see very little to worry about from here - to be honest I think we will win comfortably on Tuesday 3-0 

Complacency is the only enemy, not suggesting that we WILL be subject to it, but going in to Tuesdays game with a one goal lead can mess with psychy.

We need to treat the game like it is 0-0.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Complacency is the only enemy, not suggesting that we WILL be subject to it, but going in to Tuesdays game with a one goal lead can mess with psychy.

We need to treat the game like it is 0-0.

There will not be complacency - the stakes are too high for that and there is too much experience in the squad and staff - we will finish the job .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Thanks for the stats both. I mean its FELT better this past season or so, I guess it IS better. It used to be nailed on we would find someway to concede late or lose from a winning position. 

Reminds me of last season under RDM. 

• Like 1