17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

Just like ours in 1980/ 81 with 14 players....to go on and win the top prize.

That will never be emulated.

I am majorly surprised that feat is not talked about outside Birmingham more.

I am very much not surprised that the feat isn’t mentioned more outside of Birmingham.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2018 at 10:10, omariqy said:

So overall we got 10 points from those games in Feb. Quite happy with that return. 

March prediction time. 

QPR (H) - Win

Sunderland (A) - Win

Wolves (H) - Draw

Bolton (A) - Win 

Hull (A) - Draw 

11 points from 5 games. Would take that right now. 

7 points in the end.  Looking at Bruce's Hull record it looks like the same thing happened to them around March time under him when they went through via the playoffs. Good omen?

April predictions

Norwich - I said draw originally so that was wrong

Cardiff - D

Leeds - W

Ipswich - D

Derby - W

Edited by omariqy

1 hour ago, TRO said:

why?

Several reasons. 

It took place before 1992.

Despite being revered by us, that squad isn’t particularly well known to non Villa supporters. I could ask my non Villa mates to name me three of the fourteen players and I’d be shocked if they could name two between them. There are no household names like a Dalglish or a Souness. Even Ron Saunders’ name would result in a few blank faces.

Put it like this, if Liverpool had won it with fourteen players, it would be a much more we’ll known fact. If a national treasure like Bobby Robson had won it with fourteen of his Ipswich players, it would be a much more well known fact.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

7 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Several reasons. 

It took place before 1992.

Despite being revered by us, that squad isn’t particularly well known to non Villa supporters. I could ask my non Villa mates to name me three of the fourteen players and I’d be shocked if they could name two between them. There are no household names like a Dalglish or a Souness. Even Ron Saunders’ name would result in a few blank faces.

Put it like this, if Liverpool had won it with fourteen players, it would be a much more we’ll known fact. If a national treasure like Bobby Robson had won it with fourteen of his Ipswich players, it would be a much more well known fact.

My point entirely.

We have a far better chance of winning play-offs games against Fulham than Cardiff so let them be and get them out of the way. Rest a few tonight - to prevent injuries - and once that play-off spot is cemented just rest the better players so they're fresh for the most important 3 games in the club's recent history. 

3 points against Leeds and no injuries is our main target this week!

Edited by villarocker

3 minutes ago, villarocker said:

We have a far better chance of winning play-offs games against Fulham than Cardiff so let them be and get them out of the way. Rest a few tonight - to prevent injuries - and once that play-off spot is cemented just rest the better players so they're fresh for the most important 3 games in the club's recent history. 

Why do you think that? Fulham are a much better team than Cardiff. 

• Like 3

I’m coming round to the opinion (like others already have) that Fulham are the ones to avoid. 

I still worry about Cardiff’s physicality, but if they were to miss out on second place they might struggle to pick themselves up.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why do you think that? Fulham are a much better team than Cardiff. 

Agree totally , we will give our promotion hopes a huge lift by beating Cardiff tonight allowing Fulham to go 2nd 

42 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Agree totally , we will give our promotion hopes a huge lift by beating Cardiff tonight allowing Fulham to go 2nd 

Interesting psychology going into the playoffs, for all teams.

Villa - Will have had several weeks of planning for the play offs. Should be mentally prepared. Squad full of big game players as proven this season. We can beat any of the play off hopefuls at home, we just have to be resolute in the away leg. 

Cardiff - If they blow the chance of automatic they could be mentally spent for the play offs. Particularly if they do end up losing to us tonight, having already lost to wolves. Self doubt could be key.

Fulham - Currently on the longest unbeaten run in english football. If they don't get 2nd after the run/form they've shown, having lost out in the play offs last season.....how will they respond?

Derby - Look booked for 5th barring a catastrophe. Much the same as Villa...will have had several weeks of mental preparation.

Boro/Millwall - Both dangerous opponents and will arguably be the form side going into the play offs. Don't personally think either have the quality to make the final however.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Interesting psychology going into the playoffs, for all teams.

Villa - Will have had several weeks of planning for the play offs. Should be mentally prepared. Squad full of big game players as proven this season. We can beat any of the play off hopefuls at home, we just have to be resolute in the away leg. 

Cardiff - If they blow the chance of automatic they could be mentally spent for the play offs. Particularly if they do end up losing to us tonight, having already lost to wolves. Self doubt could be key.

Fulham - Currently on the longest unbeaten run in english football. If they don't get 2nd after the run/form they've shown, having lost out in the play offs last season.....how will they respond?

Derby - Look booked for 5th barring a catastrophe. Much the same as Villa...will have had several weeks of mental preparation.

Boro/Millwall - Both dangerous opponents and will arguably be the form side going into the play offs. Don't personally think either have the quality to make the final however.

I think we should just look to seal 4th as soon as possible then rest players over the couple weeks so fresh for play offs. It might be better to  finish 4th as opposed to 3rd as i think a two legged game against boro or millwall would be tougher than two legs vs derby.

i actually think if it was cardiff vs boro in other game boro would win that. Pu;is will be able to counter the rugby style by warnock 

• Like 2

Millwall have Bolton, Sheff Utd, Fulham, Boro and us as their remaining games. 

They’re doing well but I think they may just fall short.

Looking at their fixtures, I’m not 100% on Boro now either (Sheff Utd, Bristol, Derby, Millwall and Ipswich). 

If Sheff Utd and Bristol City get positive results tonight, I think it may be one of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually think it's difficult playing mid table championships teams that no longer have anything to play for. No pressure on them. 

Either that or we're just s**t. 

The latter 

7 hours ago, villarocker said:

3 points against Leeds and no injuries is our main target this week!

Shouldnt we be getting those 3 points asap, cementing our place in the playoffs. I wouldnt be resting anyone tonight. I would however start onomah and tuanzebe.