Crap Hometown Clubs

Xann

1 minute ago, limpid said:

No, Church Street. Blackwell Street was Blackwells / Flirtz / Time / Elements.

Church St? I think that's where I used to go the doctor and the dentist.

Didn't they make the old public swimming baths on Castle Rd in to some sort of venue?

Kidderminster, laser and my Mate's militant dad giving us a lift home, because my Mate's sister was there?

That's all I remember.

Must have still been at school then? For him to pick us up.

Oof

Just now, snowychap said:

Church St? I think that's where I used to go the doctor and the dentist.

That's the one. The doorway led down some stairs. Opposite what was the Midland bank.

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Didn't they make the old public swimming baths on Castle Rd in to some sort of venue?

Knights and then later a chain but I forget which.

• Like 1

Zanzibar and then something else I think, knights was Nigel Such, I went to school with his daughter, only "fight" I've had in my life was getting beat up in there for the kiddy classic "looked at his mate funny"

the one on church street is a complete new one on me, never heard of it before will have to ask my dad

time was the easy to get in to underage place, mirage was the place to be if you could get past slim on the door, redwoods was where the scumbags went! The young uns with tribe don't even know they're born

now it's just nu bar which is horrific

• Like 1

I was regularly in the markwt tavern for gigs in Kidde but never in clubs. 

Recall seeing the inside of Cascades in Telford a bit. Its a greek restaurant now I think.

I used to work in Norfolk and years back, the late 80's there was a god awful club in Cromer, the absolute worst. 

Lived in Skegness too and went in a few clubs, the most random was this real cheesey disco where I saw the band of holy joy. 

21 hours ago, Xann said:

The Market Tavern used to be a laugh. I think @Seat68 would agree?

vvkiaQQ.jpg

Think I saw Radical Dance Faction and Dodgy on flyers recently?

I was at that Pop am good gig. Uknown bands and that, I loved them, saw them 3 times in total, 2 at the market tavern. I saw pretty much all of those bands on that flyer, but not in Kidde.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 12:54, Stevo985 said:

I went to Yates' in Sutton Coldfield a couple of weeks ago.

We were doing a bar crawl so it was only for one drink and it was early in the night so it wasn't anywhere near busy yet.

But Jesus. You could tell that place is an absolute horror show

I haven't been in there as a Yates, but have driven past on a Saturday early evening and seen some of the people outside having a fag and thought "Yeah, no desire to go in there". 

It was a Litten Tree before and a bit of a pit. Sounds like its got worse. 

Unfortunately Sutton on a night out attracts a lot of people from outside Sutton, like the Vale, the Standing and my old stomping ground, Erdington. Not all of these people are very nice! 

On 2/16/2017 at 15:17, dAVe80 said:

Three Tuns used to be my ale house of choice, when I was at Sutton College. It was a Firkin pub at the time, and served Dogbolter. Most lunch times, I'd go in and have a bacon sarnie, and couple of pints. Good duke box too, although you could guarantee you'd hear every track off What's The Story Morning Glory, if you stayed in there long enough.   

When were you at Sutton College mate?

I was there 95-97

On 2/16/2017 at 18:13, villa4europe said:

I've been to the new one about 8 times and id say only once did it capture the magic of the old one, I treated the missus to a night in there, bigged it up beyond belief, it's was uncomfortably full, took about 25 minutes to get served, stood to enjoy the music and Kanye came on followed by I think maroon 5 and i necked my drink and left

Can't face going to the new Snobs. It just won't be the same. The old one was an institution. Dingy basement club, sticky floor and cheap drinks. I first went when I was 18 and last probably when i was in my early 30's. It hadn't changed a jot! The faces on the wall! The bar(s) never seemed that busy either, despite the club being busy. Had some wonderful nights out there and never any aggro. 

It was one of the 2 clubs in Brum that I have been to the most... the other one, may well fit in the definition of the title of this thread. The Dome II. What a place! Yeah it was a shit-hole but I snogged and shagged more girls from there than I can remember. Yeah sure some of them were skanks but I was young and enjoying myself. Student nights on Thursdays, 70's night on Fridays (or was it Saturdays?). Few pre club drinks at Circo vodka bar then over to the Dome. Always touch and go whether you would get in and if you hadn't been punched by the end of the night it was a success. Tragedy struck once when a kid deliberately ploughed a car into the queue outside and killed a bouncer. The Works was the closest there came to being a replacement to the Dome but wasn't the same. 

Looking back I've had some fantastic nights out in Brum. 

Edited by Xela

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

When were you at Sutton College mate?

I was there 95-97

September 96 to Jan 97. Didn't stick my course out, so buggered off up North not long after. 

We may have passed in the hall ways, or even read the same copy of the Daily Mirror, they had in the library.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

On 15/02/2017 at 17:39, Xela said:

Thinking about it, Atlantis in Wolverhampton was probably the most desperate place I've been

It became an Oceana before closing down then was rebranded "Faces" - referred to as "faeces" by me & my mates (cos we're soooo funny) before closing down again last year. 

I've heard that in the mid to late 90's, Wolverhampton was THE place to go and people travelled from Birmingham for a night out. This seems unlikely to me, but I've been told this on more than one occasion by taxi drivers whilst drunk so I assume it's gospel.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It became an Oceana before closing down then was rebranded "Faces" - referred to as "faeces" by me & my mates (cos we're soooo funny) before closing down again last year. 

I've heard that in the mid to late 90's, Wolverhampton was THE place to go and people travelled from Birmingham for a night out. This seems unlikely to me, but I've been told this on more than one occasion by taxi drivers whilst drunk so I assume it's gospel.

I hadn't heard that before, but may be true? However Brum was pretty banging in the mid to late 90's for clubbing. I was in Wolves as I was going out with a couple of mates who at the time lived in Walsall, and didn't fancy heading to Brum. 

I remember the Light Bar (it had cobbles on the floor!) and Yates as well. Night got hazy in Atlantis! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Can't face going to the new Snobs. It just won't be the same. The old one was an institution. Dingy basement club, sticky floor and cheap drinks. I first went when I was 18 and last probably when i was in my early 30's. It hadn't changed a jot! The faces on the wall! The bar(s) never seemed that busy either, despite the club being busy. Had some wonderful nights out there and never any aggro. 

It was one of the 2 clubs in Brum that I have been to the most... the other one, may well fit in the definition of the title of this thread. The Dome II. What a place! Yeah it was a shit-hole but I snogged and shagged more girls from there than I can remember. Yeah sure some of them were skanks but I was young and enjoying myself. Student nights on Thursdays, 70's night on Fridays (or was it Saturdays?). Few pre club drinks at Circo vodka bar then over to the Dome. Always tough and go whether you would get in and if you hadn't been punched by the end of the night it was a success. Tragedy struck once when a kid deliberately ploughed a car into the queue outside and killed a bouncer. The Works was the closest there came to being a replacement to the Dome but wasn't the same. 

Looking back I've had some fantastic nights out in Brum. 

I used to work at McDonald's whilst at college. My nickname there was Mr Dome. 

I was trying to think recently where I used to go where they showed videos on the screen which were not the songs being played,  remembered only the other day it was The Dome. 

I used to get there early so see the light show they put on with the War of the World's music. 

I have seen Timmy Mallet there whacking people on the heads with Mallets Mallet. 

Also once they had a live band on (unheard of) and my mate nudged me and said "That's Russ Abbot playing drums that is" 

I obviously didn't believe him until the lead singer asked us all to thank the guest drummer Russ Abbot at the end. . Totally bizarre. 

Those things were very odd isolated breaks from it just being a normal night club. 

More weird though was Bonkers which was next to the old ATV studios where they used to film Tizwaz.  They had somehow commandeered the old props so you used to get appearances from The Phantom Flan Flinger and girls were regularly rounded up and put in the cage. 

Bonkers was definitely an apt name for it,  it was an utter madhouse and a totally different proposition from any other clubs about in the 80's

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Xela said:

I hadn't heard that before, but may be true? However Brum was pretty banging in the mid to late 90's for clubbing. I was in Wolves as I was going out with a couple of mates who at the time lived in Walsall, and didn't fancy heading to Brum. 

I remember the Light Bar (it had cobbles on the floor!) and Yates as well. Night got hazy in Atlantis! 

Yeah I heard it said a few times. I think it may have been a case of them overstating it and what they really meant was that Wolverhampton was once fairly decent but gradually declined compared to the ever popular Broad Street, etc.

Yep, my main memory of Yates is going past in a taxi on my way into Queen's square and seeing a never ending queue for it, never really understood why. The little civic followed by the civic hall (cheeky monkeys/blast off) was normally where we found ourselves. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tinker said:

Areo Club, Elmdon, The Embassy, Tamworth, The Dilcke, Aldridige, The Garryowen, Small Heath,Tressines, Newhall Street, shit holes from my past

I have asked SO many people about Tressines and literally no one remembers it.  I thank God you have mentioned it because I was beginning to think I was hallucinating. 

They used to have an arcade at the back so after a boogie you could go smash some aliens. Very odd. 

I actually work in that building now but no one can remember it.  

It's a restaurant now owned by Glynn Purnell who I bump into from time to time the bluenose twonk. 

56 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have asked SO many people about Tressines and literally no one remembers it.  I thank God you have mentioned it because I was beginning to think I was hallucinating. 

I remember Tressines back in the day. I believe it was called Top Cats before the renaming. Early/mid 80's

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

They used to have an arcade at the back so after a boogie you could go smash some aliens. Very odd. 

I actually work in that building now but no one can remember it.  

It's a restaurant now owned by Glynn Purnell who I bump into from time to time the bluenose twonk. 

I always used to end up in there Xmas eve late afternoon, I think it used to be open all day, very messy. Anyone remember Stoodi Bakers laser show and the big bang they used to have that always made me shit myself? I can also remember a wine bar down by the law courts on the corner, Hawkins bar i think.   

Â