Crap Hometown Clubs

Xann

4 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Was it not Zig Zags upstairs and Picasso's downstairs? Athough it was about 97/98 I'm talking i guess, I know I was at school when I went and think it shut down not long after that. I was meant to being going to Nicky Blackmarket but it wasn't on so we went to the rock night downstairs.

I just love the names. Zig Zags and Picasso's! 

Acupulco... in Halifax! I can just imagine it. 

• Like 1

i haven't been to any on that list... my clubbing was all done in Brum. I haven't really been exposed to the small market town nightclub experience, save for a few nights out in Ipswich when I was seeing a pole dancer in my younger days.

There is a place in Rugeley called the shrew. It used to be a decent night out for a quick shag  back in my younger days. The police have tried to get it closed down a few times over the years for disorder and drugs. Tbf though it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be and I remember one Friday night the police stormed in with their sniffer dogs and you should of seen everyone just throwing their drugs on the floor away from them. Luckily I was at the window drinking and saw them pull up outside so that gave me the time I needed to hide mine in the toilet. The cedar tree was another place that used to be open on a Friday night but that got closed down when the bouncers got done over with baseball bats. That was a pretty rough place but it's been closed now for 14 years. Town used to be good but it's shit now.

Just looked through the list a bit closer. The only ones I really know of is Cuba in Plymouth (No21) That's like a little bar on North Hill IIRC, can't be much more than 100 capacity, all the real awfulness is down Union Street. Blondes was particularly crap 20 years ago, As was Ritzy's.

The Corporation in Sheffield (No14) was on Bank Street when I was up there so god knows what it's like these days.

The Buttermarket in Shrewsbury (No11) has a little soft spot for me as it's where I've seen a few decent bands down the years but I'd have never gone near it on a 'club' night tbf.

It's been gone for donkeys years now but the worst club I ever went to was Peppermint place. We only used to go there because we were under age and they would let us in. 

Had the smallest dance floor in the universe and I went to at least 3 closing down final nights there. 

On the last one me and a few kids from school were about the only people in there and I remember there was one of those portable gas heaters at the side of the dance floor. 

Thinking back we only went there when we got refused from Maximillions next door,  which for me was the best club then.  Obviously Faces next to that was out of our league being over 21's only which was club speak for no schoolchildren back in those days. 

Garrison town nightclubs make that list look like the very best of Ibiza.

Stax in Catterick and pretty much anywhere in Aldershot spring to mind rather vividly. 

They are the worst of the worst.

Brilliant times in the late 90's though.

I love it when a hidden memory is lured back into focus. :D

I love hearing about old nightclub memories of Birmingham. Had some cracking nights out... don't think clubbing nowadays is as good at is was. Bars and pubs are much better now IMO but people don't tend to go clubbing much now

Think my parents pet at Barbarellas in the early 70's

47 minutes ago, Xela said:

I love hearing about old nightclub memories of Birmingham. Had some cracking nights out... don't think clubbing nowadays is as good at is was. Bars and pubs are much better now IMO but people don't tend to go clubbing much now

Think my parents pet at Barbarellas in the early 70's

Do we really need to know what base your dad got to with your mum?! ;)

• Like 1

Worst club I've been to has to be The Drink in Guildford. Horrible music, practically empty, and £4 for a bottle of Rolling Rock (back when that wasn't the norm, certainly not in the Northern nightclubs I was used to!).

11 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Worst club I've been to has to be The Drink in Guildford. Horrible music, practically empty, and £4 for a bottle of Rolling Rock (back when that wasn't the norm, certainly not in the Northern nightclubs I was used to!).

Awful. Possibly less awful than Time, but definitely awful. 

I have a dim recollection of a nightclub in Kiddy that had a laser in the late 80s - Thought it might have been Weavers? Not seeing it mentioned.

There was the occasional visit to Gas in Cheltenham, and the Lenches in Evesham! Jesus.

Nostalgic for Eddie's and the Hummingbird suddenly :)

1 hour ago, Xann said:

I have a dim recollection of a nightclub in Kiddy that had a laser in the late 80s - Thought it might have been Weavers? Not seeing it mentioned.

Weavers, then Millers, then Yankees (I think).

There were much worse clubs in Kiddy.

Â