Crap Hometown Clubs

Xann

19 hours ago, Xela said:

Thinking about it, Atlantis in Wolverhampton was probably the most desperate place I've been

I went to Yates' in Sutton Coldfield a couple of weeks ago.

We were doing a bar crawl so it was only for one drink and it was early in the night so it wasn't anywhere near busy yet.

But Jesus. You could tell that place is an absolute horror show

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I went to Yates' in Sutton Coldfield a couple of weeks ago.

We were doing a bar crawl so it was only for one drink and it was early in the night so it wasn't anywhere near busy yet.

But Jesus. You could tell that place is an absolute horror show

Sutton has had some shonky clubs over the years, shades, iBar(?) and the abhorrent Rosie O'Briens to name a few.

luckily the pubs have always been decent (the station, three tuns, the older Gate and even the crown is ok if you want to drink into the small hours)

I'm back home this weekend so will be revisiting a few of the old haunts. 

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Sutton has had some shonky clubs over the years, shades, iBar(?) and the abhorrent Rosie O'Briens to name a few.

luckily the pubs have always been decent (the station, three tuns, the older Gate and even the crown is ok if you want to drink into the small hours)

I only move there in October so I haven't been to many, but yes they all look dodgy. Yates', one in the shite shopping centre (not gracechurch, the one over the road) and one called something like JB's. Look awful.

But yeah the pubs are great so far. Station is great and I like the Gate Inn. The landlord in there seems really nice (I think he was the landlord anyway, chap behind the bar certainly acted like he was anyway!) and plenty of villa memorabilia

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xann said:

I have a dim recollection of a nightclub in Kiddy that had a laser in the late 80s - Thought it might have been Weavers? Not seeing it mentioned.

im too young to remember clubbing in kiddy in the 80s, never heard of that one before

the towns had some shocking places, they're a parody, you know its bad when people are getting mini buses up to bushwackers and tramps in worcester because they're better than what we have

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

im too young to remember clubbing in kiddy in the 80s, never heard of that one before

the towns had some shocking places, they're a parody, you know its bad when people are getting mini buses up to bushwackers and tramps in worcester because they're better than what we have

The Market Tavern used to be a laugh. I think @Seat68 would agree?

vvkiaQQ.jpg

Think I saw Radical Dance Faction and Dodgy on flyers recently?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

my entire knowledge of clubbing in brum is the works once and never again (not been back to broad street since either, 12 years)

and snobs, lots and lots of snobs

Original snobs was brilliant - lots of dancing, lots of drinking and lots of ladies (was a particularly lucky place for me!)

went into the relocated snobs last year - same music, same beer but felt soooo old!!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Three Tuns used to be my ale house of choice, when I was at Sutton College. It was a Firkin pub at the time, and served Dogbolter. Most lunch times, I'd go in and have a bacon sarnie, and couple of pints. Good duke box too, although you could guarantee you'd hear every track off What's The Story Morning Glory, if you stayed in there long enough.   

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Three Tuns used to be my ale house of choice, when I was at Sutton College. It was a Firkin pub at the time, and served Dogbolter. Most lunch times, I'd go in and have a bacon sarnie, and couple of pints. Good duke box too, although you could guarantee you'd hear every track off What's The Story Morning Glory, if you stayed in there long enough.   

I probably served you! Was a barman there for a fair while! 

Dogbolter, there's a blast from the past!!!! 

I loved working there, great dukebox, always busy and plenty of free drinking after hours!!! 

• Like 1

Just now, VILLAMARV said:

I thought they only played 1980's Genesis.

Not when I was there. 

Martin the landlord, who I'd always known as Joe loved music and used to dj at parties and functions back in the late 80s and early 90s. 

The dukebox was well stocked and as staff we could play what we wanted for fee!

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Original snobs was brilliant - lots of dancing, lots of drinking and lots of ladies (was a particularly lucky place for me!)

went into the relocated snobs last year - same music, same beer but felt soooo old!!!! 

I've been to the new one about 8 times and id say only once did it capture the magic of the old one, I treated the missus to a night in there, bigged it up beyond belief, it's was uncomfortably full, took about 25 minutes to get served, stood to enjoy the music and Kanye came on followed by I think maroon 5 and i necked my drink and left

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xann said:

The Market Tavern used to be a laugh. I think @Seat68 would agree?

vvkiaQQ.jpg

The Shuttle from May last year:

A KIDDERMINSTER pub is set to host the first Market Tavern Legends show, 20 years after the original venue was forced to close its doors.

The Boars Head will stage the event on Saturday (May 14), to commemorate popular 80s and 90s pub, the Market Tavern, which was located in Comberton Hill.

The premises closed down in 1996 when it made way for a new building development - with its closure even making headlines in NME magazine after regulars appealed for the venue to be saved.

Established and up-and-coming bands including rock icons Radiohead, new wave band the Alarm, indie-rockers Carter USM, and 80s group Chumbawumba, all previously played at the venue.

...more on link

On Weavers - was that in Blackwell Street?

Edit: And I do remember going to Gas a couple of times but that depended upon someone volunteering to drive.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Â