Crap Hometown Clubs

Xann

22 minutes ago, tinker said:

I always used to end up in there Xmas eve late afternoon, I think it used to be open all day, very messy. Anyone remember Stoodi Bakers laser show and the big bang they used to have that always made me shit myself? I can also remember a wine bar down by the law courts on the corner, Hawkins bar i think.   

Yes,  Hawkins was at the bottom end of Corporation Street. I never actually went there but I used to go to Horts in Five ways quite often and there was one on Priory Queensway /Old Square. It was just a doorway which led to the bar upstairs. It seems to have been called Megas Wine Bar though that doesn't ring any bells with me. 

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes,  Hawkins was at the bottom end of Corporation Street. I never actually went there but I used to go to Horts in Five ways quite often and there was one on Priory Queensway /Old Square. It was just a doorway which led to the bar upstairs. It seems to have been called Megas Wine Bar though that doesn't ring any bells with me. 

Loved Horts. Wasn't it the first 'wine bar' in Birmingham?

On a Friday afternoon it was packed and I'd wager 75% of it was the company I worked for. 

As this has kind of turned into a general club nostalgia thread, a couple of months I read they are going to knock down the building on the corner of Hurst Street (number 1-5). While that might not mean much, people will know it better as the numerous clubs it has been: Locarno, Powerhouse, Ritzy, Pulse, Zanzibar, Oceania and finally Electric, when it was permanently shut after a stabbing and double shooting during an 'urban and grime event' (who would've thunk there would be trouble at that?)

Had some great days in some of its former guises. 

Albert's was a other wine bar I used to go to although I think it was really more of a normal bar that called itself a wine bar to jump on the bandwagon. 

All the buildings round D there have been knocked down but I think the one it was actually in might still be there,  it's hard to tell. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

As this has kind of turned into a general club nostalgia thread, a couple of months I read they are going to knock down the building on the corner of Hurst Street (number 1-5). While that might not mean much, people will know it better as the numerous clubs it has been: Locarno, Powerhouse, Ritzy, Pulse, Zanzibar, Oceania and finally Electric, when it was permanently shut after a stabbing and double shooting during an 'urban and grime event' (who would've thunk there would be trouble at that?)

Yes the powerhouse and Ritzy in my clubbing days. Went there for my 20th birthday never went to any of its later guises. 

I used to go to Pagoda Park a lot the amazement of the DJ going up and down between the floors in a lift was legendary. . Also used to frequent Millionaires occasionally. 

I probably went most under its Zanzibar name, but was there when it was Pulse as well. I think I tried when it was Ritzy but was turned away as I would have been about 16 at the time and looked about 12, even though I was packing fake ID!

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Another one where it used to get messy

normal_libertys.jpg

I recall the first time I went there, must have been 18-19 (around 1993)

Paid £20 to get in but drinks were then free!

loads of women in there, who were all very 'friendly', which I soon realised was not down to my natural charm but because they were all prostitutes! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I recall the first time I went there, must have been 18-19 (around 1993)

Paid £20 to get in but drinks were then free!

loads of women in there, who were all very 'friendly', which I soon realised was not down to my natural charm but because they were all prostitutes! 

I went there about ten years later and the same offer was on (although it may have been £25 then). I certainly got my monies worth on those nights. 

it used to be quite an upmarket place, always nice cars in the car park but towards the end it attracted the dregs... like me! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

@theboyangel How was your nights out in Brum and Sutton... nice to be back on home turf? 

Just got back home to Devon! 

Friday in Sutton was decent and a chance to catch up with a few old mates. Went to the bishop vesey, brewhouse and the station. Was surprised how busy Sutton was, which was good to see. 

Saturday, started at the station again at 2pm before meeting a few lads in Birmingham. We did the joint stock, the bureau, Bacchus, lost and found, sun on the hill(?) and the trocadero.

all went well initially  and managed to get me and my very drunk mate onto the last train. However he decided to get off the train at Aston!!!! 

Sorted a taxi, piled him in and had to take him to mere green first, passed my folks in Walmley where he promptly decorated the outside of the taxi door. 

Had to carry him into his house, placate the taxi driver before getting back to walmley - cost me £30..... the train would've been a lot cheaper!!!

cracking weekend though, cheers for asking @Xela

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xela said:

All dayers in Locarno because we weren't old enough to go Wigan or Torch. 

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Just got back home to Devon! 

Friday in Sutton was decent and a chance to catch up with a few old mates. Went to the bishop vesey, brewhouse and the station. Was surprised how busy Sutton was, which was good to see. 

Saturday, started at the station again at 2pm before meeting a few lads in Birmingham. We did the joint stock, the bureau, Bacchus, lost and found, sun on the hill(?) and the trocadero.

all went well initially  and managed to get me and my very drunk mate onto the last train. However he decided to get off the train at Aston!!!! 

Sorted a taxi, piled him in and had to take him to mere green first, passed my folks in Walmley where he promptly decorated the outside of the taxi door. 

Had to carry him into his house, placate the taxi driver before getting back to walmley - cost me £30..... the train would've been a lot cheaper!!!

cracking weekend though, cheers for asking @Xela

Sounds a cracking weekend. Can't believe you missed my favourite out - The Wellington! You were right by it 

My folks live in Walmley as well - small world :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sounds a cracking weekend. Can't believe you missed my favourite out - The Wellington! You were right by it 

My folks live in Walmley as well - small world :)

Almost popped into the Wellington, nice in there too! 

Feeling jaded now though and relaxing to the big painting challenge on bbc1 (how very rock n roll!)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mechu closing down after 14 years blaming the ongoing roadworks in Brum. 

Yeah, it was a bit pretentious but had some good nights there in the early years. I've still got a Mechu ashtray, which I 'acquired' when I went there the night it opened. 

Mechu-in-2007.jpg

Â