Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes, vast majority of the time you complete and move on the same day. 

Obviously you don’t have to move in right away (for example if you want to have work done first) and you can stay where you are for a bit longer. Not usually possible if you’ve sold the house you’re in.

The day of completion the solicitors will be talking to each other and moving the money to where it needs to be. If there’s a long chain it will take several hours to get the thumbs up from everybody. Once the money is all in place for everyone in the chain then solicitor will call you to let you know. They’ll usually call the estate agent too who will release the keys.

Cheers Genie. I appreciate that, going back to a solicitor and asking them to clarify something eats into time. Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Cheers Genie. I appreciate that, going back to a solicitor and asking them to clarify something eats into time. Thanks. 

No worries, I’ve bought and sold a few houses over the years so have been through the process several times. 

• Like 2

Half expected it the way it's been stuttering in the final stages but we didn't exchange today 😠

Hopefully won't change the expected completion date, which was due to be the 29th but changed to 1st but frustrating nonetheless.

In the words of Paul Lambert, We go again.

• Sad 2

What's the reason that Natwest won't deal with all Solicitors? Was a little surprised to be told by a local solicitor who had been recommended to me for my upcoming sale / purchase that they won't (can't?) work with them.

15 minutes ago, hogso said:

What's the reason that Natwest won't deal with all Solicitors? Was a little surprised to be told by a local solicitor who had been recommended to me for my upcoming sale / purchase that they won't (can't?) work with them.

I believe its the same with Halifax. They have a list of recommended. We were considering a mortgage with them in Stafford but the solicitor was in Lichfield. We decided against them but for other reasons. 

On 23/01/2021 at 10:54, hogso said:

Welcome to the murky world of bankers and solicitors.  Lenders set up panels for many reasons.  They set a number of criteria which they feel make the solicitor competent to deal with THEIR money.  Its easier for the lender, they can have efficiencies by dealing with multiple transactions with the same solicitor.  There may also be a financial benefit to them.  But you are unlikely to find that out. 

What can you do about it? Very little at this stage.  In retrospect you need to ask bluntly if they are on the panel of your prospective lender.  

It's a frustrating loop hole that needs to be fixed. 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Speeling mishsteaks

On 22/01/2021 at 17:12, AlwaysAVFC said:

Half expected it the way it's been stuttering in the final stages but we didn't exchange today 😠

Hopefully won't change the expected completion date, which was due to be the 29th but changed to 1st but frustrating nonetheless.

In the words of Paul Lambert, We go again.

So we are trying again today, but our solicitor is sceptical that the issue on Friday for the top of the chain will have been resolved, so not holding our breath.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Just had our estate agents round to take pics and video.

They are pretty sure we should sell easily, but I'm ever the pessimist.

Hope when you do get viewers your mongy neighbours will be.....well, less mongy, or out 🙏

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Hope when you do get viewers your mongy neighbours will be.....well, less mongy, or out 🙏

Yes indeed. Although a lot of their noise is what most would class as normal, dogs barking, kids whining. It's the nob who thinks Alexa is his girlfriend I'd like to string up.

• Haha 2

On 23/01/2021 at 10:54, hogso said:

The official reason it fraud. Lots of lenders tightened the pool of solicitors they would work with to try and reduce fraud losses. The theory being that less solicitors would mean they could tighten systems and policies. If the bank wont work with the solicitor, it doesn't mean they have been guilty of fraudulent activity, it more likely means they arent a big enough organisation to adhere to the banks additional policies. Tends to be enforced by the larger lenders.

14 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

The official reason it fraud. Lots of lenders tightened the pool of solicitors they would work with to try and reduce fraud losses. The theory being that less solicitors would mean they could tighten systems and policies. If the bank wont work with the solicitor, it doesn't mean they have been guilty of fraudulent activity, it more likely means they arent a big enough organisation to adhere to the banks additional policies. Tends to be enforced by the larger lenders.

With the larger solicitor firms within the pool then being audited for compliance to those policies. 

20 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I don't really get why the sols don't advertise who they're on the panel for. Are they not allowed to? I've had quotes from a whole bunch and many of them haven't even asked who our mortgage is with. Our broker is keen to get things moving with the mortgage application though, which is good, no reason to dilly dally after all - but I still haven't settled on one and need to asap.

From what I can gather it's simply a case of phoning them and saying 'are you on the panel for x', and ignoring the quote altogether. Dumb. 

Its been a shit show but I am moving out of my house, all being well, on the 12th. To where god knows. Certainly not anywhere long term. Is there a way of stopping my post, not redirecting but stopping it and being able to collect it when I choose?

54 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Its been a shit show but I am moving out of my house, all being well, on the 12th. To where god knows. Certainly not anywhere long term. Is there a way of stopping my post, not redirecting but stopping it and being able to collect it when I choose?

I'm not sure, you can certainly get Royal Mail to hold your mail and collect from the office. I'm not sure whether it will be an issue if your not actually at the address its being delivered to and someone else is though. The local delivery office might be able to help and do it for you, otherwise could you redirect to someone you know for a short term solution? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I'm not sure, you can certainly get Royal Mail to hold your mail and collect from the office. I'm not sure whether it will be an issue if your not actually at the address its being delivered to and someone else is though. The local delivery office might be able to help and do it for you, otherwise could you redirect to someone you know for a short term solution? 

Thats a good idea. I have people I can redirect to. 

The house were trying to buy is on a new build estate from about 20 years ago and we've just found out that there's loads of weird covenants in place set by the developers. For instance, a ban on work vehicles parked on the drive, no caravans (not an issue), no pets except dogs or cats, no plants in the front garden, the lawn must be kept mowed etc. 

Has anyone got experience of living with these covenants and know of a developer actually chasing it through to try and enforce? 

Â