Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

The house were trying to buy is on a new build estate from about 20 years ago and we've just found out that there's loads of weird covenants in place set by the developers. For instance, a ban on work vehicles parked on the drive, no caravans (not an issue), no pets except dogs or cats, no plants in the front garden, the lawn must be kept mowed etc. 

Has anyone got experience of living with these covenants and know of a developer actually chasing it through to try and enforce? 

Is it a leasehold?

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Nope, freehold. Apparently the covenants are fairly common as the developers want to maintain a certain aesthetic. 

Hmmmm that's a bit odd (to me anyway!). As a freeholder, you own the property and land its on. No one can tell you if you can have a pet or not, surely? Or what colour front door to have. 

A quick google shows they are called restrictive covenants. I'd seek legal advice, just to be safe 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Hmmmm that's a bit odd (to me anyway!). As a freeholder, you own the property and land its on. No one can tell you if you can have a pet or not, surely? Or what colour front door to have. 

A quick google shows they are called restrictive covenants. I'd seek legal advice, just to be safe 

Solicitors looking at it. 

I'm used to Covenants and they can cover future sales so even if you own something you might have clauses covering it. They can be used to protect your interests after a sale. Think of it as like a sell on fee if we sold a young player or something. 

I've just never lived in an estate like that so not sure if they're actually followed through with. 

Edited by Rds1983

Just now, Rds1983 said:

Solicitors looking at it. 

Covenants can cover future sales so even if you own something you might have clauses covering it. They can be used to protect your interests after a sale. Think of it as like a sell on fee if we sold a young player or something. 

I think my estate I live on here and the one I'm moving to has all of these covenants. Loads of house building happened in bromsgrove about 25 years ago and they wanted to keep the estates looking nice so no caravans, grass kept mowed, etc.

No-one takes a blind bit of notice. There's caravans on drives. If grass isn't mowed then either the local busybody mows it or it looks a mess. Half the developers went bump anyway. 

I think the only one I are about is there's something about not being able to convert a garage to a room. I wouldn't care but it could be a snag for building regs so I might have to buy the covenant out for something like £30 I think.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

I think my estate I live on here and the one I'm moving to has all of these covenants. Loads of house building happened in bromsgrove about 25 years ago and they wanted to keep the estates looking nice so no caravans, grass kept mowed, etc.

No-one takes a blind bit of notice. There's caravans on drives. If grass isn't mowed then either the local busybody mows it or it looks a mess. Half the developers went bump anyway. 

I think the only one I are about is there's something about not being able to convert a garage to a room. I wouldn't care but it could be a snag for building regs so I might have to buy the covenant out for something like £30 I think.

I thought I saw stuff like caravans on drives but as we're relocating I can't drive around again and check. 

There was a covenant about not building extensions or conservatories in the first 5 years and the sellers breached that. Solicitors asked them to take out insurance to cover us just in case. 

They've also turned half the garage into a room so that's one I'll look out for. Thanks 

45 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The house were trying to buy is on a new build estate from about 20 years ago and we've just found out that there's loads of weird covenants in place set by the developers. For instance, a ban on work vehicles parked on the drive, no caravans (not an issue), no pets except dogs or cats, no plants in the front garden, the lawn must be kept mowed etc. 

Has anyone got experience of living with these covenants and know of a developer actually chasing it through to try and enforce? 

I don't know much about them at all, but think you can arrange for some to be removed but it can take a bit of time, so if you don't want any delays or it might cause an issue to the buyer of your (if you're selling) then that might be a problem.

Only know this as our seller decided she wanted one removed from her purchase but the estate agents warned her she might lose us if she went ahead. She hasn't gone for it, thankfully. That was a flat so a leasehold though.

No idea who would enforce it though? surely after 20 years the developer has little to do with the estate. Most modern estates have a service charge to a housing association who look after public areas but I'm not sure if that was the case 20years ago and don't know if it would be them either anyway.

Did you see any work vehicles parked. I don't think I've seen an estate anywhere that doesn't have someone living there with a work vehicle.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I don't know much about them at all, but think you can arrange for some to be removed but it can take a bit of time, so if you don't want any delays or it might cause an issue to the buyer of your (if you're selling) then that might be a problem.

Only know this as our seller decided she wanted one removed from her purchase but the estate agents warned her she might lose us if she went ahead. She hasn't gone for it, thankfully. That was a flat so a leasehold though.

No idea who would enforce it though? surely after 20 years the developer has little to do with the estate. Most modern estates have a service charge to a housing association who look after public areas but I'm not sure if that was the case 20years ago and don't know if it would be them either anyway.

Did you see any work vehicles parked. I don't think I've seen an estate anywhere that doesn't have someone living there with a work vehicle.

Yeah i figured nobody would enforce it but wasn't sure if developers might try and follow through with it to cream some money off down the line. 

Can't remember seeing works vans but I'm sure there probably was. 

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Seen one property, liked it, offered just below asking, accepted.

Now the hard part, selling our own place.

I’m surprised they let you look at their house having not sold yourself, I wouldn’t have done :D 

I certainly wouldn’t take my house off the market if the buyer hasn’t mentioned sold. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m surprised they let you look at their house having not sold yourself, I wouldn’t have done :D 

I certainly wouldn’t take my house off the market if the buyer hasn’t mentioned sold. 

Yeah, no idea of the ins & outs but the seller has been waiting a while and isn't fussed about waiting a bit longer as she's got a price she likes.

14 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I would look elsewhere personally. Trying to sell that in ten years time will be a pain in the arse.

Yesterday wasnt a day I would like to repeat. Had a call on Monday that the property we are looking to buy, and we are already balls deep in this. They were for the 2nd time looking at a different property. We are basically completing on the 12th. 
So we make the threats, we will pull out, this does **** all. So we are faced with an immovable date we need to be out. The 12th, and nowhere to go to. We can’t rent as its short term and we have 2 pets. Cat and a dog.
we discussed if that was it. We just walk away and stay put. 
Frantic calling around and we have secured a bit of space in a near derelict house of a hoarder who is now in a home. His son is a friend and he is helping. I reckon I can do 2 weeks in it tops. 
So we have storage costs, stamp duty most likely and the stress. We still persist. 

• Sad 3

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Yesterday wasnt a day I would like to repeat. Had a call on Monday that the property we are looking to buy, and we are already balls deep in this. They were for the 2nd time looking at a different property. We are basically completing on the 12th. 
So we make the threats, we will pull out, this does **** all. So we are faced with an immovable date we need to be out. The 12th, and nowhere to go to. We can’t rent as its short term and we have 2 pets. Cat and a dog.
we discussed if that was it. We just walk away and stay put. 
Frantic calling around and we have secured a bit of space in a near derelict house of a hoarder who is now in a home. His son is a friend and he is helping. I reckon I can do 2 weeks in it tops. 
So we have storage costs, stamp duty most likely and the stress. We still persist. 

Hope it goes OK for you. I remember being really young and living in a dirty horrible flat in Rowley for quite a while between houses. Then moving to the new house was like a palace.

Is it worth keep trying to find somewhere else temporary knowing you've got somewhere as a fallback?

16 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Hope it goes OK for you. I remember being really young and living in a dirty horrible flat in Rowley for quite a while between houses. Then moving to the new house was like a palace.

Is it worth keep trying to find somewhere else temporary knowing you've got somewhere as a fallback?

Kind of started doing that, I am fairly tolerant but if it looks like it may drag on it would get old quickly. 

One thing when your fixing up your property before you move in , when you see the progress and its taking shape to the home you have always wanted. The blood sweat and tears has all been worth it 😁

Hopefully movobg in in 2-3 weeks

• Like 1

Covenants on newer houses are completely normal and won’t impact ability to sell.

Where I live there were loads designed to keep the estate looking nice.

Theres plenty of breaches around, as far as I am aware they are never enforced. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Covenants on newer houses are completely normal and won’t impact ability to sell.

Where I live there were loads designed to keep the estate looking nice.

Theres plenty of breaches around, as far as I am aware they are never enforced. 

Covenants may impact when coming to sell as some mortgage providers may have issue with it. I work for a later life mortgage company and we have an issue with covenants but they are judged on a case by case basis and do not automatically get rejected. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Got seven confirmed viewings after being on the market two days.

Is that good? I have no idea. It sounds OK.

Thats good. Very promising. If you have a largish family. Kick them out, they crowd a property, one person at home and let the viewers enter the room first. 

Â