Gareth Southgate

Richard

23 hours ago, calcifer said:

This bloke just kills the 'if you play well you can play for England' ethic. You can now sit on the bench at your club for 70% of a season and this word removed will pick you. 

I quite like the idea that the purpose of the England national football team should be winning football matches, rather than a kind of glorified player of the month award. 

56 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I quite like the idea that the purpose of the England national football team should be winning football matches, rather than a kind of glorified player of the month award. 

I don't, not if the player's can't get into their club team, makes getting into the national team a closed shop. Dangerous if you have players with duel nationalities. 

On one hand you have Boregate moaning there isn't enough English players then keeps picking his mates! 

But Mings and Watkins won't be getting back into that team. Same as our playere in the under 21, they have no chance of getting picked. 

Boregate has killed any interest in watching England.

46 minutes ago, calcifer said:

But Mings and Watkins won't be getting back into that team. Same as our playere in the under 21, they have no chance of getting picked. 

Probably not, but why care? I mean at the margin it's actually better for Villa, since England duty is a primary place where high-achievers get tapped up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Probably not, but why care? I mean at the margin it's actually better for Villa, since England duty is a primary place where high-achievers get tapped up. 

I just can't get behind a team with players that are stinking out the place with their club form but get picked because Boregate likes them. If that makes me unpatriotic so be it!

Given a choice between watching England and attaching a car battery to my balls, I would choose the latter! 

Yes players get tapped up, but some players once they have played international football get the taste for it and get told you need to be playing european football to get picked constantly  but before anyone say that Jack was tapped up, he was never tapped up he wanted to leave the club for years before he did. That's for another thread though!!

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is the lineup if VillaTalk posters who like 'picking on form' got their way:

lineup.png

I'm sure that would have been perfect, against Italy. 

But Southgate himself said he’d pick players in form, then does the opposite 🤷‍♂️

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is the lineup if VillaTalk posters who like 'picking on form' got their way:

lineup.png

Pretty sure Ben Mee would never make a VillaTalk team 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

But Southgate himself said he’d pick players in form, then does the opposite 🤷‍♂️

He said that in an interview to the Telegraph in 2017, 6 years ago and when he'd barely started the job. Pretty obviously, he's changed philosophy since then (hardly a surprise that doing the job for 6 years would change how he sees some things) and frankly it's better for England that he doesn't. 'Picking on form' just means tons of players with one cap, who were never really good enough. 

Now I think you can make a flipside argument, that he needs to ensure the player pool he's picking from doesn't get *too* small, and that a few other players get an opportunity if they seem like they will be good bets for a long-term international career. But I imagine he figures Italy and Ukraine are two of the harder games in the group. If he doesn't have any new blood at all when we play Malta and North Macedonia I'll be more concerned. 

35 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He said that in an interview to the Telegraph in 2017, 6 years ago and when he'd barely started the job. Pretty obviously, he's changed philosophy since then (hardly a surprise that doing the job for 6 years would change how he sees some things) and frankly it's better for England that he doesn't. 'Picking on form' just means tons of players with one cap, who were never really good enough. 

Now I think you can make a flipside argument, that he needs to ensure the player pool he's picking from doesn't get *too* small, and that a few other players get an opportunity if they seem like they will be good bets for a long-term international career. But I imagine he figures Italy and Ukraine are two of the harder games in the group. If he doesn't have any new blood at all when we play Malta and North Macedonia I'll be more concerned. 

Maybe they have more than one cap if Southgate didn’t keep picking his mates.

There's a balance between picking the best 11, your "tournament 11" if you will and rewarding players who have played well with call ups or players who are actually kicking a competitive ball.

Southgate is an absolute Representative for Wellingborough.

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

There's a balance between picking the best 11, your "tournament 11" if you will and rewarding players who have played well with call ups or players who are actually kicking a competitive ball.

Southgate is an absolute Representative for Wellingborough.

Thing is with the tournament 11 is this was game one in the new two year cycle

He played his tournament 11 and called up probably 20 of his tournament 23

I've no doubt in his head he knows his starting 11 for Germany 26 and if a journo was to press him on it he'd claim that was a good thing, it's **** not

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

lineup.png

I think the win against Italy and the one against Germany (World Cup?) are the only wins Southgate has had against similar competition.

A big reason for this is because he sticks rigidly to a team that does him so proud against the likes of San Marino, Slovenia, Malta, Hungary (well, no... wait) et al.

When it comes to the next tournament, England will again be starting players either out of form or not playing for their club sides at all and, again, will not win it.

If that's what it should be like, then so be it.  But it's incredibly predictable.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/05/2023 at 00:14, Tom13 said:

All Mings needs now is exactly what Jack was given.

He may be playing under the master tactician Unai Emery, but what he really needs is some advice off Southgate about how to 'get to that next level'. After some next level analysis, he gave Jack the great advice of 'get more goals and assists'. Now hopefully the great man can give Tyrone his own special advice, so he can truly fulfil his potential.

Southgate will ask him to look him in the eye and tell him he's ready to go that next level 

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

He's picked Mings....

Rather he picked no Villa players, don't want any of them anywhere near that clown and his setup.

Let's be honest.

Mings will just be a spectator.

4 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

He ain't got a clue. I honestly can't support England until he's gone. 

Grealish will be turning 30 in a few years.

This fraud has wasted a great generation of players.

• Like 1

Â