The retro gaming thread!

BOF

Just now, Chindie said:

I'd chuck money on it being a mini Steam machine. They aren't going to succeed with a pure retro console and they aren't going to release a completely unique machine.

And I can't imagine them releasing something with the processing power to blow the other 2 out of the water either.  So yeah, something like a Steam machine would at least have its uses.

Iirc Atari retro stuff is a huge minefield legally anyway, the rights are all over the place (even Atari itself is owned by some random company who basically sued a bunch of businesses for using the name or Atari IP - hence Jeff Minter being careful these days...). Meaning the only way for retro Atari enthusiasts to get a modern Atari box is via emulation... Which is so accessible a retro console would be doomed even without the lawyers.

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

Iirc Atari retro stuff is a huge minefield legally anyway, the rights are all over the place (even Atari itself is owned by some random company who basically sued a bunch of businesses for using the name or Atari IP - hence Jeff Minter being careful these days...). Meaning the only way for retro Atari enthusiasts to get a modern Atari box is via emulation... Which is so accessible a retro console would be doomed even without the lawyers.

Exactly I have this on my modded xbox. 

• 2 months later...
On 18/07/2017 at 16:18, Chindie said:

I'd chuck money on it being a mini Steam machine. They aren't going to succeed with a pure retro console and they aren't going to release a completely unique machine.

On 18/07/2017 at 16:20, BOF said:

And I can't imagine them releasing something with the processing power to blow the other 2 out of the water either.  So yeah, something like a Steam machine would at least have its uses.

Some details have come out finally. Shocking nobody at all, it's a low power Steam machine running Linux and with ready installed a large selection of Atari classics (which classics, they haven't said...). Powerful enough to run Minecraft and Terraria. And it's overpriced. Being funded on Indiegogo, allegedly.

Doomed, doomed!

• Like 1

My missus got me a SNES classic, absolutely love it! It's amazing how 20 years later, I still remember all the tricks and secret little hidey holes from Donkey Kong Country.

Really hope they do a N64 Classic, Mariokart 64 remains the greatest pickup and play multiplayer game of all time.

• Like 1

**** DPD, they delivered it to ring address and then went back to collect. So I went to do re delivery to my local Halfords and they said would deliver in next 24 hours on Saturday that I would receive a message. Received nothing no idea where my product it.

bloody crappy dpd. They better not have lost it or I will be fuming

giphy.gif

The 1982 8-bit system is getting a mini version, scaled down to 50% of the size of the original. The new version looks exactly like the real deal, though it does away with the original 9-pin joystick connectors, replacing them with USB ports. Those USB ports will likely come in handy if you want to use the C64 Mini as a full computer, rather than just a gaming system, since the mini keyboard is just for show, and you’ll need to plug in an actual keyboard if you want to type and run programs in BASIC. If you prefer your systems full-sized, the company says they’re working on a 100% scale version of the updated Commodore 64, which will have an actual working keyboard built in.

https://technabob.com/blog/2017/10/01/commodore-64-mini-price-release-date/

c64_mini_1-620x428.jpg

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

After a caterlogue of eff ups finally got my snes classic yesterday. love it. honestly feel like a kid again. Ive had loads of people making me offers of a £100 for it 

CEX are offering £110 cash at the moment too. Bonkers!

On 06/10/2017 at 17:30, Dr_Pangloss said:

Demand for this is a bit silly, more will be made available and prices will fall, and in the mean time you can just use an emulator and play more games.

You can play an emulator as I have it. But it crashes an awful lot and has major glitches which is really annoying 

Yesterday I found my old GB Micro from years ago! Only got advance wars 2 though so just bought a few carts off eBay. Got FFVI, Golden Sun, Zelda four swords & Minish cap incoming! What a cracking little thing, I'd forgotten all about it :D.

I think I'm going to look at doing some repairs on mine as the shoulder buttons are faded and the faceplate has a few little scratches so needs changing I think so I'll be looking for donar micro's for parts. Im willing to pay so DM me if anyone has any old games or consoles they are willing to let go!

Â