The retro gaming thread!

BOF

RE: Chrono Trigger, they've already got RPG / Action RPG covered with FF3/VI, Mario RPG, Earthbound and Secret of Mana, so I don't think it's really required (although given the choice I'd swap out SoM for CT).

There's a fair balance of genres, I think.

RPG / Action RPG / Action Adventure
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Final Fantasy III -Final Fantasy VI-
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Earthbound -Mother 2-
Secret of Mana -Seiken Densetsu 2-

Platform
Donkey Kong Country -Super Donkey Kong-
Mega Man X -Rockman X-
Super Ghouls n Ghosts -Chomakaimura-
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island -Super Mario: Yoshi's Island-

Shooter
Contra III: The Alien Wars -Contra Spirits- *Probotector: Alien Rebels*
Star Fox
Star Fox 2

Racer
Super Mario Kart
F-Zero

Fighter
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Punch-Out!!

Metroidvania
Super Castlevania IV
Super Metroid

Er...Kirby Games
Kirby's Dream Course -Kirby Bowl- (this is a golf game)
Kirby Super Star -Hoshi no Kirby Super Deluxe- *Kirby's Fun Pak* (this is basically a mini-game comp)

The only other thing I'd change is swapping out Super Star for Kirby's Dream Land 3, but again, for balancing of genres, maybe they wanted a bit more variety. Which is a good thing, as although it was the age of platformers being king, who doesn't want to try out a novelty golf game from 1994 for something a bit different?

I would kind of like one. The NES I didn't ever own, but the SNES was my first home console, and I had 7 of these games on it. It'd be cool to play them again. I didn't manage to get online early enough to order last night, and I see the Argos site is down this morning...so probably no chance, unless more stock is released.

55 minutes ago, hogso said:

RE: Chrono Trigger, they've already got RPG / Action RPG covered with FF3/VI, Mario RPG, Earthbound and Secret of Mana, so I don't think it's really required (although given the choice I'd swap out SoM for CT).

There's a fair balance of genres, I think.

RPG / Action RPG / Action Adventure
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Final Fantasy III -Final Fantasy VI-
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Earthbound -Mother 2-
Secret of Mana -Seiken Densetsu 2-

Platform
Donkey Kong Country -Super Donkey Kong-
Mega Man X -Rockman X-
Super Ghouls n Ghosts -Chomakaimura-
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island -Super Mario: Yoshi's Island-

Shooter
Contra III: The Alien Wars -Contra Spirits- *Probotector: Alien Rebels*
Star Fox
Star Fox 2

Racer
Super Mario Kart
F-Zero

Fighter
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Punch-Out!!

Metroidvania
Super Castlevania IV
Super Metroid

Er...Kirby Games
Kirby's Dream Course -Kirby Bowl- (this is a golf game)
Kirby Super Star -Hoshi no Kirby Super Deluxe- *Kirby's Fun Pak* (this is basically a mini-game comp)

The only other thing I'd change is swapping out Super Star for Kirby's Dream Land 3, but again, for balancing of genres, maybe they wanted a bit more variety. Which is a good thing, as although it was the age of platformers being king, who doesn't want to try out a novelty golf game from 1994 for something a bit different?

I would kind of like one. The NES I didn't ever own, but the SNES was my first home console, and I had 7 of these games on it. It'd be cool to play them again. I didn't manage to get online early enough to order last night, and I see the Argos site is down this morning...so probably no chance, unless more stock is released.

I cant believe street fighter 2 original is not on there, killer instinct, bomberman, a footie game and the list goes on!

You cant order this anywhere already sold out every where ridiculous 

Not really sure why you'd want the original Street Fighter II when the edition included is the definitive on the console. Super Bomberman is the sort of thing you would have expected to be on there yeah, as for a footie game...struggling to think of one that would be worth including and/or possible to include...

11 minutes ago, hogso said:

Not really sure why you'd want the original Street Fighter II when the edition included is the definitive on the console. Super Bomberman is the sort of thing you would have expected to be on there yeah, as for a footie game...struggling to think of one that would be worth including and/or possible to include...

Mate i loved street figher the original!! Just a class game.  Maybe they could have added  a street figher classic with all of them in a special edition feature on the game.

Sensible soccer?

No double dragon either ! 

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Mate i loved street figher the original!! Just a class game.  Maybe they could have added  a street figher classic with all of them in a special edition feature on the game.

Sensible soccer?

No double dragon either ! 

SF2 world warrior was painfully slow on the SNES. The megadrive got turbo edition first as there was talk about Capcom not knowing how to get it to run any faster on the SNES. Then they found some extra beans from somewhere, maybe superFX? So turbo edition was way better as you could drop the speed back down to WW anyway.

Ah, yes there was SNES Sensi, can't say I ever played this version though

88541_front.jpg

I guess Codemasters have the rights to it now? Maybe it was a bit too messy legally to get it on the mini.

• Like 2

Tbf there's very little stopping Nintendo releasing this with more or less every SNES game ever released on it. But Nintendo are obsessively protective of their back catalogue and dole it out like pharmacy lest you OD on it. So instead they release 21 games, some of which are hardly the cream of the crop.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for Killer Instinct. I think that would reside with Microsoft now.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You cant order this anywhere already sold out every where ridiculous 

dont know how it works but the comments from nintendo yesterday about significantly more being made suggested to me the early pre order buzz and inevitable "sold out" (the nintendo business model) should turn in to a fair few of them kicking about shortly after launch

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

dont know how it works but the comments from nintendo yesterday about significantly more being made suggested to me the early pre order buzz and inevitable "sold out" (the nintendo business model) should turn in to a fair few of them kicking about shortly after launch

I think what has happened some a holes have brought about 2-3 with different cards or addresses and plan to sell them almost double the price :angry:

Edited by Demitri_C

17 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

SNES mini is up for pre-order for £70-£80. 

£70 at Smyth's and £80 at Game. 21 Games, most of the classics but still a couple missing for me. Most glaringly its missing Chrono Trigger but it does come with the previously unreleased Star Fox 2. Not sure if its worth it at £70-80 but its up for pre order nonetheless. 

Chrono Trigger is a huge miss. Hopefully it can be hacked like the NES mini...would be an absolute steal at 80 bucks,

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

"The Nintendo business model", haha yeah :lol: In other words, no one will have a clue if there are more of these things knocking around or not for months. Or maybe tomorrow. Cos Ninty.

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

As Jim Sterling pointed out, Nintendo operates like a toy manufacturer. Trying to manipulate sales for buzz.

Yeah and its failed miserably with their last few consoles 

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah and its failed miserably with their last few consoles 

It arguably worked with the Wii.

The NES Mini? I don't think anyone knows what their plan was. I'm not sure a retro console is something that will ever be a multi million seller.

Is retro such a thing?

21 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It arguably worked with the Wii.

The NES Mini? I don't think anyone knows what their plan was. I'm not sure a retro console is something that will ever be a multi million seller.

Is retro such a thing?

The wii was a sucess the wii u flopped and the switch hasnt done greay from sales from what i have read.

The nes classic didnt they only make a small amount of them? I think they are now discontinued so if you have one could worth a bit of cash in years to come

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

As Jim Sterling pointed out, Nintendo operates like a toy manufacturer. Trying to manipulate sales for buzz.

thats what i meant by my post, apple do exactly the same, generate buzz using a marketing campaign based on queues of disappointed kids

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Tbf there's very little stopping Nintendo releasing this with more or less every SNES game ever released on it. But Nintendo are obsessively protective of their back catalogue and dole it out like pharmacy lest you OD on it. So instead they release 21 games, some of which are hardly the cream of the crop.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for Killer Instinct. I think that would reside with Microsoft now.

Yup, most snes games are tiny, very few even get anywhere near the old maximun 4mb (a photo taken on your phone is bigger). You could fit every single game on a 1gb sd card comfortably.

No idea why they wouldn't sell these & the nes version all year round, they must cost pennies to make and they would make millions if people could actually buy them.

They are sold out everywhere because people saw the nes version selling for 300-400 last year & nobody taking pre orders yesterday seemed to be capping the amount you could buy. You will see plenty of ebay/facebook posts like this again because people were able to pre order 50 without paying a penny until they are actually released.

AfzyxYS.jpg

Â