Top Gear

Jez

The electric cars thing summed up what Top Gear can do well - they did a segment that was both informative, but clearly had an argument to make and made that argument (and made it entertaining) by exaggerating or taking things in a slightly less than fair situation (those cars I would suspect the manufacturers would call 'City cars' or 'city runarounds', not big commute machines, for example), but at heart the argument (electric cars are potentially good but batteries are dumb, don't buy them) is sound.

There is a blog on the Guardian about this. Apparently they ran the batteries down to 40% before they set off on their trip to make sure it ran out in Lincoln which is a city without any public charge points.

They also ignored the fact that the Leaf has a quick charge option to get it back to 80% power in 30mins.

It turns out the Top Gear road show is sponsered by Shell who are pushing hydrogen cars over electric so Top Gear is towing the line by fakeing electric cars breaking down and suggesting (Shell's) hydrogen is the future.

The electric cars thing summed up what Top Gear can do well - they did a segment that was both informative, but clearly had an argument to make and made that argument (and made it entertaining) by exaggerating or taking things in a slightly less than fair situation (those cars I would suspect the manufacturers would call 'City cars' or 'city runarounds', not big commute machines, for example), but at heart the argument (electric cars are potentially good but batteries are dumb, don't buy them) is sound.

There is a blog on the Guardian about this. Apparently they ran the batteries down to 40% before they set off on their trip to make sure it ran out in Lincoln which is a city without any public charge points.

They also ignored the fact that the Leaf has a quick charge option to get it back to 80% power in 30mins.

It turns out the Top Gear road show is sponsered by Shell who are pushing hydrogen cars over electric so Top Gear is towing the line by fakeing electric cars breaking down and suggesting (Shell's) hydrogen is the future.

Hydrogen is the future.

Battery powered electric cars are just fatally flawed because batteries are crap.

The quick charge option requires the use of a rapid charger, you cannot "rapid charge" on a domestic supply which is how they charged it.

tbh it doesn't really matter that they faked it, the scenario remains plausible that you can run out of range miles away from a charging point. They're just not suitable for long journeys, as city run abouts sure, but you'd need a 2nd car if you ever want to cover a significant distance. Which kinda defeats the cost savings.

I think electric cars with be like rabbit phones (remember them?). By the time there are enough charging points and enough suscribers to make them passably economically viable, something will come along that will make them obselete overnight (possibly Hydrogen).

tbh it doesn't really matter that they faked it, the scenario remains plausible that you can run out of range miles away from a charging point. They're just not suitable for long journeys, as city run abouts sure, but you'd need a 2nd car if you ever want to cover a significant distance. Which kinda defeats the cost savings.

That's what the Chevy Volt/Opel Ampera (while it will be available in RHD for the UK market, will it be as a Chevy Volt, Vauxhall Ampera, or a Vauxhall Volt?) is for. Batteries die miles from a charge point? Gasoline generator kicks in to start charging.

Which is precisely the point the Top Gear executive producer has made in the show's rebuttal.

• 4 months later...

they need to reinvente it now, it's all a bit old hat now.

they should do more reviews of the cars, give a more informed opinion of the car not just whether it can do drift and ridiculous doughnughts.

Star in reasonably priced car is fine that works.

I did also enjoy it when they had to try and find a certain type of car on a budget and then do a series of tests with it. That made more sense to me than these silly challenges to all corners of the globe.

the super car under £10k was an awesome one I remember.

If it happened naturally, maybe.

Of course it didn't happen naturally..

I think people get too bogged down in the thinking that Top Gear is a car review show. It's an entertainment show. Clarkson, May and Hammond are characters. If people want car reviews and sensible tests then watch Fifth Gear.