Top Gear

Jez

The X1 has at least got a semblance of a point to it.

I like the Top gear web site review of it

"really quite a good car for something , but we're not exactly sure what ...answers on a postcard "

:-)

interestingly Top Gear site hates the X3 and give it 7/20 and yet Whatcar reckon it's the " best compact 4x4 you can buy " and give it 5 stars (out of 5)

I'd drive an M3. I don't care about the stigma. They're too good to turn down :) It's the wannabes that are worse. The 320i drivers who want to be in an M3 and drive in such a way that they can use your wing mirrors too.

I finally saw an Evoque on the way to work the other day.

I still think it's a pretty ugly thing. I think I said before that it looks to much like a concept car, and exactly like what a comic book artist would draw if you said 'draw me a Landrover from 2050!', and it really, really does.

I still think it's a pretty ugly thing. I think I said before that it looks to much like a concept car, and exactly like what a comic book artist would draw if you said 'draw me a Landrover from 2050!', and it really, really does.

See, to me, that's exactly what makes it beautiful

I would never buy a BMW. Wouldn't want the reputation that comes with it.

would you buy a Evoque though :winkold:

I took our Freelander in for a service...... got driven to work in an Evoque.

Its ugly

Its really small

It has pointlessly massive wheels.

Why the **** does it need sport seats?

Surely the only point of buying such a revolting car is to advertise the fact you can't afford a RRSport or Vogue. Or that you are interested in the fact the design consultant is a brainless stick-insect.

For the same money you can have your pick of the much better Freelander range and it will be vaguley practical.

Yuk

:puke:

Nah, for me it's too brash and lacking subtlety to be beautiful (like most 4x4s in that) and it lacks the quiet stylishness that things like the original 'new' Range Rover had (which Land Rover went on ruin by constantly fiddling with it).

I think the styling of the Evoque is quite bold and many people won't like it. It has proved to be an enormous success with JLR having to go back to the supplier base several times to ask for them to agree new capacity figures.

I also recently went on a LR expereince day at eastnor Castle and all the instructors agreed it can do anything and go anywhere that the other Land Rover / Range Rovers go.

Its proving to be a massive success for JLR.

Nah, for me it's too brash and lacking subtlety to be beautiful (like most 4x4s in that) and it lacks the quiet stylishness that things like the original 'new' Range Rover had (which Land Rover went on ruin by constantly fiddling with it).

You're going to hate the 405 later this year then ;)

I think the styling of the Evoque is quite bold and many people won't like it. It has proved to be an enormous success with JLR having to go back to the supplier base several times to ask for them to agree new capacity figures.

I also recently went on a LR expereince day at eastnor Castle and all the instructors agreed it can do anything and go anywhere that the other Land Rover / Range Rovers go.

Agreed.

And on the Victoria Beckham point, which is who i assume Eames was referring to, that has everythign to do with marketing and nothing to do with design (although she did have input into the design)

In this country, we may feel she's a "brainless stick insect",.

But as Tv and I mentioned, our focus is on the far east. It's where we're making all our profits and it's where we're focusing on gorwing so we can grow as a company.

And regardless of what we think, over there they love the beckhams, so having Victoria beckham's name anywhere near the car is a massive selling point for them.

You're going to hate the 405 later this year then ;)

Seen spyshots of it, even under the camo it looks grim already.

Well you can't tell anything from those shots, so don't go by that.

But yeah, it incorporates similar styling to the Evoque, so if you don't like that, you probably won't like the 405.

FWIW, i personally think the new RRS (next year) looks better than the RR

Agreed.

And on the Victoria Beckham point, which is who i assume Eames was referring to, that has everythign to do with marketing and nothing to do with design (although she did have input into the design)

But as Tv and I mentioned, our focus is on the far east. It's where we're making all our profits and it's where we're focusing on gorwing so we can grow as a company.

And regardless of what we think, over there they love the beckhams, so having Victoria beckham's name anywhere near the car is a massive selling point for them.

I'm sure it will sell bucketloads but doesn't change the basic fact that it is one ****-ugly vehicle. Popularity has never been a measure of aesthetic appeal...... after all, 18,000 inbreds visit the Sty twice a week.

Oh, and I'm not down on JLR at all. I love both brands and would happily never buy another car again if it were at all practical.

In fact I'm currently weighing up the possibility of selling my Golf to enable me to buy my dream Landy.

An Old T reg.... (XXX 765 T) Green Defender 90 pick up with canvas back front and rear winches and white wheels. :firefox:

Agreed.

I'm sure it will sell bucketloads but doesn't change the basic fact that it is one ****-ugly vehicle. Popularity has never been a measure of aesthetic appeal.

That's kind of the point I was making. It's nothing to do with what it looks like.