January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

Elphick is more than capable cover. He's not had the best of starts with us but that's just poor form. He was great for Bournemouth at this level. 

Not a fan of Taylor. Plus Wrexham get no sell on fee if he's swapped :( ^_^

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Swansea forum saying Taylor/Ayew swap is a done deal referencing this article:

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/calciomercato-aston-villa-swansea-si-chiude-per-lo-scambio-ayew-taylor

I can't read Italian so good luck...

Unless there is money involved that doesn't sound like the best deal we will have made. I like Taylor but he's not a direct swap for a forward and he also can't be valued the same

I'm sure it's not just speculation but I'm also certain that it's not as simple

Edited by Tubby
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think Rhodes is going to happen. Just a feeling

Me too. Hes clearly last in the pecking order at Boro so no sense in them paying his wages for the rest of the season if he wont play. Think they are just holding out for as much as they can get but will end up ripping someones arm off on Monday/Tuesday.

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Swansea forum saying Taylor/Ayew swap is a done deal referencing this article:

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/calciomercato-aston-villa-swansea-si-chiude-per-lo-scambio-ayew-taylor

I can't read Italian so good luck...

Yeah the title says the deal is done, then the one paragraph article explains it's a straight swap, Ayew for Taylor. I'd have my doubts about the source though.

8 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

We had one real job to do this window, and that was to revamp our midfield. On paper, and hopefully in reality, we have done that. Our defence has also hopefully been marginally improved.

However, what I didn't expect was to leave January with poorer strike force options. Selling Gestede and not trying to use him as a bargaining chip for Rhodes seems silly (but then paying £6m for Gestede is even sillier!), McCormack has killed his career, RHM still has the biggest ego for a player we've never seen score/perform for us, Gabby has proved he's never going to be the prodigal son and Ayew is looking increasingly likely to be off. 

Although we're looking likely to largely playing Kodjia upfront alone, we still look in desperate need of a striker before the window closes.

If we look at it as gestede plus £4m for Rhodes it's not a bad deal - Rhodes will score far more goals that gestede and with our new midfield could be the final piece in the jigsaw.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Taylor's a lb right? You think he is dropping down a league to battle for his position or is this because Amavi is as good as gone in the summer?

My guess is that Aly will be gone so Taylor & Amavi can compete for LB and cover for each other during injuries, suspensions and hectic fixture schedules. Plus I reckon Bruce may be tempted to try Amavi at LM

Edited by Marley the Bognor Villan
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

My guess is that Aly will be gone so Taylor & Amavi can compete for LB and cover for each other during injuries, suspensions and hectic fixture schedules. Plus I reckon Bruce may be tempted to try Amavi at LM

Aly went last week , taylor for me would probably be a more solid defender than amavi who despite his attacking forays down the left still is prone to defensive errors and caught often out of position.

Edited by Eastie

Taylor and Amavi as left sided options in this league will be very good. I just hope that Swansea are giving us something other than just Taylor for Ayew. I guess this must be the (%+X) bit of Tony's equation.

I would not be surprised to see some movement on the Rhodes deal today / tomorrow. Just need to see if someone will take McCormack off our hands as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Aly went last week , taylor for me would probably be a more solid defender than amavi who despite his attacking forays down the left still is prone to defensive errors and caught often out of position.

Hes only out on loan though. I was responding to the question that Amavi might be leaving at the end of the season. Aly will be back with us then but I imagine he will be the one leaving on a perm

3 minutes ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

Hes only out on loan though. I was responding to the question that Amavi might be leaving at the end of the season. Aly will be back with us then but I imagine he will be the one leaving on a perm

Wouldn't be surprised to see cissokho and amavi both go permanently in the summer - Taylor is a solid option - depends what sort of cash we get as part of the deal but I'm not worried about ayew  going .

4 minutes ago, chappy said:

We should keep Ayew, don't understand the criticism he gets on here. Since Bruce came in he has been in and out of the team and we have always looked better with him on the pitch than not.

Better options now though and I don't see where he fits in - we will be fine without him