January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

39 minutes ago, AJ said:

Agree with you about Rogic muchly, KSV.  Unfortunately, I think he has got alot of time left on his contract with Celtic.However Mooy was very ordinary in Melbourne and Thailand.

Possibly. However I think the English game suits his style. I haven't seen him alot but it appears he is killing it for Huddersfield. They love him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PompeyVillan said:

Why would Delph come back? I don't see what's in it for him. He's too good for the championship. 

Get first team football, be a real star at a club, and put himself in the shop window for a move to another Premiership club?

Although I agree his most likely destination would be another PL club.

12 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Can we please stop talking about Delph. He's not coming back.

Exactly, it's a pointless topic. There's simply no way he would come to us, as hard as it is to say or admit, he is a level of player that is beyond our reach. It's hard to admit but we are not what we once were and need to be realistic. A player like Delph, if made available, would be in demand in the Premier League - why would he drop down to the Championship and to a team that isn't really challenging for promotion at the moment?

We desperately need quality reinforcements as this team is fairly weak. I do believe we need a striker too as all except Kodjia have been fairly useless. If we've got to pay big for Rhodes or anyone else, so be it, we need to strengthen and shift the deadwood.

I'm so disappointed that Gabby has been brought back into the fray too. Forget all the other issues, the fact is that he is a poor player now and not a goal scorer. I don't really see what useful qualities he possesses anymore and lost patience with him long ago.

At least 2 proper midfielders and a goal scorer are a major priority and I will be feel very let down if we don't get those deals done. I can't see us getting into the playoffs and challenging for promotion otherwise, not with this squad. We simply haven't performed this season and the team/players have really let us fans down. I was excited for the start of the season and hoping we would be putting up a sustained challenge for promotion but that just hasn't happened. I hope we can make a major push now and get into those playoff positions but much will depend on our transfer activity this month...

On the other hand, it would be pleasing if we were at least enquiring about taking on players that would be viewed as unattainable and that could really help us but such deals would be unlikely. Wages would be a major issue too, but I guess we need to spend big if we really want a chance at promotion this season. 

• Like 2

Pat Murphy (I know...) said this:

I'm not sure it's that likely though, Norwich would be unlikely to sell to us, plus he's probably on a fairly big wage (but the good doctor could bankroll it). Other than for Norwich I don't remember seeing him that much before then, seems like an ok player though, and certainly would improve our midfield (what wouldn't?). 

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I'm not sure it's that likely though, Norwich would be unlikely to sell to us, plus he's probably on a fairly big wage (but the good doctor could bankroll it). Other than for Norwich I don't remember seeing him that much before then, seems like an ok player though, and certainly would improve our midfield (what wouldn't?). 

We might not like our striking options or RB or CM but we don't have an out and out left midfielder in the squad at all and I for one would be very pleased with this if they manage to fend off the inevitable interest from PL clubs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thunderball said:

At the risk of going off topic, I would say give Amavi a chance. I reckon he will be better, I think he is technically and athletically better than Staunton now, he crosses a bit better and has a broader game. Debatable about his defensive game just yet as he has played with rubbish around him, a few shaky games early but much better now.

Amavi isn't anywhere near the level Staunton was at. The only thing Amavi has is more pace but Stan didn't need loads as he read the game brilliantly. Amavi has a cracking chance to go onto be a brilliant player but he ant there yet. I hope we don't entertain thoughts of selling him as we've been weak at full back for ages. Keep him and get a right back of similar ilk and we'd be fine. De Laet getting injured just shows our luck. I'd like Jenkinson from Arsenal. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

We might not like our striking options or RB or CM but we don't have an out and out left midfielder in the squad at all and I for one would be very pleased with this if they manage to fend off the inevitable interest from PL clubs.

I would quite like to see Amavi at lm and look at getting in a new lb. When he gets forward he links up well with players like grealish and always shows for the ball, but most importantly for me he actually looks for a pass/cross and doesn't try to do everything on his own.

21 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

The fact he uses the phrase 'I reckon' strongly suggests it's just an opinion rather than something he's heard on the grapevine. It's not rocket science when it's plain to see:

a - We're in desperate need of a quality midfielder

b - Brady is somewhat available it seems and is a quality midfielder; and

c - Bruce has signed him previously for Hull

Pretty obvious link, but nothing in it. Brady will have offers of Premier League football I should think, or perhaps Celtic might come in for him and tempt him.

Just now, Villa Stu said:

I would quite like to see Amavi at lm and look at getting in a new lb. When he gets forward he links up well with players like grealish and always shows for the ball, but most importantly for me he actually looks for a pass/cross and doesn't try to do everything on his own.

I get this as an idea. if we had any options at LB that weren't Cissokho or Bacuna ;) but it kind of highlights the problem doesn't it that it could be argued that our best left midfielder is probably our left back?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Seems like the standard reply to one my posts.

Jedinak and Westwood are Premier League quality midfielders in my eyes. Jedinak has slowed down but would still be good enough for a team aiming for survival and Westwood's confidence is at rock bottom but if he can build that back up there is a quality player there and that would come out if he is paired alongside players which compliment him.

Westwood has never been quality. He's a decent footballer and I agree about his confidence affecting his game but that's the problem with limited footballers. On a good day they're at most a 7 out of 10 on an off day or out of form they're 2/3 which are the performances he's showing now. When we had Delph he'd be min 7/10 but had the capability to get up to the 9/10 games and win them on his own. I think Lansbury can do similar in the sense he will win you points on his own. We need better in CM and hopefully Lansbury will be the first. I'd love Cleverley back. 

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I get this as an idea. if we had any options at LB that weren't Cissokho or Bacuna ;) but it kind of highlights the problem doesn't it that it could be argued that our best left midfielder is probably our left back?

It certainly does mate, I think it is the route that I would take though because for where we are I don't think we would be able to find many wingers that could offer what amavi does, whereas I think we could find a decent lb for quite a lot less money than buying a lm. 

100% agree about bacuna and aly. They offer very little a lb 

37 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I'd like to think the Villa could at the very least match the wages that Norwich pay and even better them. 

• Like 1