This kind of nonsense is why I stopped posting in this thread :D

I think I'll go back to that!

feel free to do so

its a forum

one does what one wants

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This kind of nonsense is why I stopped posting in this thread :D

I think I'll go back to that!

Only 4 weeks until the start of the season and we can finally put this to bed and get off this merry-go-round!

56 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

no one can possibly reason with you otherwise if you believe that is true.  You believe made up truths to suit your own agenda, rather than believe any real presentable facts, and for that reason, I'm out.

The most accurate thing posted in this thread for weeks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villarocker said:

I think Bruce failed last season. I think he would admit it too because, when he joined, he said that the target was to get at least into the play offs and try to get promoted. That's obviously not what happened so he failed to achieve that target. He also failed to buy in cover for Jedinak in January and that hurt us too because it was obvious were weaker without him. 

However, this is a new season and there's no way he's leaving anytime soon so now we all just need to get behind him and support everything AVFC as this season we have a much better squad to start off with and there's absolutely no reason for us not to go up. Bruce and the players have to hit the ground running and, if they do, the momentum will hopefully stand us in good stead for the rest of the season and promotion can be achieved. But, I think that Bruce will have 8-10 games to have us top 8 and looking good. Otherwise, I can see Dr Tony getting trigger happy. 

My thoughts exactly, last season was quite pathetic but we've just got to move on and hope for better now. I'm trying to see it as a clean slate or fresh start now. We can't change/affect what goes on at the club but obviously  can express our thoughts and opinions on the current state of affairs. I just hope this season will be a different story and various factors will mean that we will perform a lot better and have the success we crave - automatic promotion. 

I'm going to try and be positive now. Bruce is going to get the opportunity this year so might as well get fully behind it as the new season approaches. 

Terry, Baker and Chester are potentially the best defensive group in the league. 

Jedinak, Lansbury and Hourihane are one of the best midfield groups in the league. 

Kodjia, Hogan, McCormack and Gabby are one of the best forward lines in the league. 

Our spine of the team is potentially the best at our level and then we have the likes of Taylor, Bree, Grealish, Green and Adomah to put round it. 

I'm not 100% convinced a pre season is going to make all the difference but we should be so much better than last year. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'm going to try and be positive now. Bruce is going to get the opportunity this year so might as well get fully behind it as the new season approaches. 

Terry, Baker and Chester are potentially the best defensive group in the league. 

Jedinak, Lansbury and Hourihane are one of the best midfield groups in the league. 

Kodjia, Hogan, McCormack and Gabby are one of the best forward lines in the league. 

Our spine of the team is potentially the best at our level and then we have the likes of Taylor, Bree, Grealish, Green and Adomah to put round it. 

I'm not 100% convinced a pre season is going to make all the difference but we should be so much better than last year. Looking forward to it. 

I still think if any of our midfield get injured were screwed

Same for the defense.

• Like 1

Just wait till we lose a pre season friendly (which mean sweet FA as it is just for fitness etc), but as usual the usual suspects will be out in force with thier told you so's and we are crap's etc. 

3 minutes ago, nazvfc said:

Just wait till we lose a pre season friendly (which mean sweet FA as it is just for fitness etc), but as usual the usual suspects will be out in force with thier told you so's and we are crap's etc. 

I read they mean sweet FA every year. Yet issues that arise in pre season tend to also be there during the regular season. Or issues that were around the previous season seem to still exist in pre season. 

Things like sloppy defending, unable to keep the ball and struggling to create chances.

I don't agree that they mean sweet FA. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Things like sloppy defending, unable to keep the ball and struggling to create chances

I cannot seehow we will possibly be  "sloppy" at the back this year as long as JT is fit.

However the other two things may well raise their ugly heads, so pre-season will be a good marker for whether Brucie has got to grips with it or not.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

I cannot seehow we will possibly be  "sloppy" at the back this year as long as JT is fit.

Wants so much to make a joke about JT and certain things being left sloppy when he is around...

Thinks better of it

*Walks away*

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrytini said:

This friendly thing.

Id agree it doesn't matter whether we win or lose them.

But in every other respect they matter hugely.

Yeah I think that's a good way to look at it.

The result is not important but we should be seeing more than just running round to get fit. 

9 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Just a slight cherry picking of history there TRO old chap. Brucie knows what he's doing 4 promotions and one was just the season before last etc.....

people who live in glass houses, should refrain from throwing stones, Dave

you have a cheek Dave.....you too have picked the worst possible season to hit Brucie over the head with.

Tell me at the end of this season.

• Like 1

That's what I meant they are meaningless games and should not really be an indicator of the season to come. We've lost in preseason with O'Neill in charge but our season was not that bad. I meant the over the top moaning will start! 

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

people who live in glass houses, should refrain from throwing stones, Dave

you have a cheek Dave.....you too have picked the worst possible season to hit Brucie over the head with.

Tell me at the end of this season.

Ha ha, I knew you wouldn't let that one through without a response! :)

• Like 1

For what it's worth I think Steve Bruce has had a good summer so far. He's done what a manager with his history and experience should do, in that he's used his contacts and good reputation to make signings which perhaps a less experienced man wouldn't be able to. Well actually one signing so far, but all this banter with TRO must have got my Brucie tinted spectacles cleaned :).

However we are yet to kick a ball and my concerns have always been about tactics and mind set. The squad is coming together nicely and JT could be a game changer. We have the personnel to play a more positive, on the front foot game and so there can be no excuses if we don't. I would find it bizarre if we continue in the same cautious way as last season and so that conclusion gives me reason for optimism, albeit cautious. Yes he will start the season and yes he will be given time, hopefully not wasted time. 

• Like 1

I personally think tactics are over rated. It's all about having good confident players in every position and consistency, I.e. No weak links in the team. I don't believe we had that at for all of last season for one reason or another. This is was I expect should be rectified. 

57 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I personally think tactics are over rated. It's all about having good confident players in every position and consistency, I.e. No weak links in the team. I don't believe we had that at for all of last season for one reason or another. This is was I expect should be rectified. 

I absolutely agree that confidence and momentum are massive. Tactics play a part in that the players have an idea as to what they're trying to achieve. 

Â