Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Bruce is underaceiving at present. He is 7 points from his 2pts a game target. He is 5 points off of the automatic places. Those are just facts. We’ve won 3 games on the bounce after an awful December. Fans trying to go tit for tat about him being in or out is silly. Most fans want Bruce to be successful as that means the Villa are and that’s ultimately the biggest priority. I’m not a Bruce fan for a few reasons. The football we’ve had had to watch in the main has been crap. We play not to lose too often. He has a go at the fans for justifiable fears. He’s mates in the media See no wrong in him. And there’s more but the last 2 games give me hope. Even the first 10 min against Sheffield Utd showed a bit. Our last 2 games we’ve showed attacking intent and especially v Forest a Control to our game ive not seen. Hopefully Agnew is the missing link and we can keep that improvement up. We actually looked like a team that wants to pass the ball about and knows how to do it. If Bruce keeps this up we will go up and I’d even be happy for him to have next season. Let’s hope it’s not a false dawn. 

• We are in touch with the automatic place, we know what we have to do, we are slightly behind our aspirations, but have plenty of time to fulfill them.
  • Your are right, the in or out argument is futile....but more seriously could damage our burgeoning confidence.
  • The football spectacle is in the eye of the beholder, for me I wished it was better, but welcome the cautious approach too.... we are well in touch in terms of goal "for" with the teams who have a stronger reputation for more open football....glean from that what you wish.....buts its a fact not an opinion.
  • He has a go at a certain section of the fans who are less sure of our progress than him and subsequently let their frustrations over spill in to direct criticism of the man himself.....In my opinion, he deserves to defend himself.....as it is one man against many his only course of redress is sadly the press and interviews.
  • I think it is a wise move for any manager to have a good relationship with the press moreover an opportunity to promote the team and the club in a positive light.....needles to say Graham Taylor in his wisdom sought to develop his relationship with the press too, maybe because his father was a journalist and he could see the benefits.
  • Ironically the game you pick out as a form of warming to him in terms of attacking football, particularly the first 10 minutes, the Sheff Utd game, was the one that ****** me off.....it was in the bag had we of shown the same professionalism of late in closing down and a bit more caution, we would of secured the 3 points.....I put that game down as a set back, but hey shows how we all think differently.
  • I like you have been heartened by the recent improvement, but as you say we have to keep this up.....I am hoping too that Steve Agnew has made the difference, but we have to give SB some credit for that too, he tried to get him here months ago but failed....it shows he knows what is required but can't always have his own way.....that WHY things take time....that is why time is mentioned.
  • First things first we need to get up and then take stock.....We are improving, but progress is brought with caution, every club is motivated to beat us....we have a cup final shortly and Brentford seem to think now, due the Dean Smith perhaps we are their cup final too......There are no easy games and every one is a potential banana skin......This manager and team needs us to get behind them, confidence is crucial and WE can make a difference.

I genuinely do understand the reticence to get excited, but it can't be heads you lose, tails you lose.....lets enjoy this run, bite our lip at the set backs and go again.....We can do this even if we do it like Huddersfield, which ideally we don't want to.

UTV

Edited by TRO

17 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

I think Terrys influence off the pitch is what makes him a lot better than Baker but as a duo Baker and Chester we’re up with the best in this league. I hope Terry will come more into his own as the pressure mounts. 

Terry's positional play and composure is far better....I think this also has a calming affect on players around him.

Great players seem to have more time.

I could see good things in Baker and not so good things, I liked his aerial dominance.....didn't want him to go, but decisions at the club are not always clear to us.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

The only player Bruce played regular was Baker that she my point. The others he didn’t want and sold or loaned out and used the money on his players. Now It’s arguable if those he brought in were better than those he let go but that’s his decision. For me Westwood Amavi and Ayew would all get in our side and improve it. Never mind Veretout Sanchez and Gil. 

I dont believe Westwood would get in the side, no chance. 

Not even sure Amavi and Ayew would either but it's irrelevant as they both wanted to leave! 

Don't even know where to start with veretout, gil and sanchez but I can confidently say that if you were picking the team we'd be relegated again. To say they didn't give a shit about the shirt/club is an understatement. 

Baffling. 

5 hours ago, andym said:

Terry is probably the best CB in the league, so yes i think he has done more than Baker would have. Don't discount his calmness on the ball at the back and his distribution, and obviously his leadership and communication.

But i agree using Bruce's net spend is slightly spurious; ultimately you need to look at the playing staff he has had available to him, and overall it simply is better than most of this league, i'd argue better than anyone but Wolves. Its definitely not any worse than the likes of Derby, Cardiff etc.

People were getting angry a couple of weeks ago because halfway through the season we looked way off achieving 2nd, and we were not even comfortably in the playoff places. There were teams with inferior squads and resources outperforming us on the pitch, and i think we were right to be critical in that situation, given the style of football was also dire. 

Now 3 excellent wins on the spin, including now actually taking the shackles off and playing some good football, and things are looking a lot healthier. We need to keep it up though, we are still 5 points behind 2nd, and there's still a nagging worry in my mind, based on Bruce's time here so far, that we could quite easily slip back into a run of 3 poor performances just as likely as 3 good ones. 

Yep, we could.

and so could our competitors.....some of their fans are feeling exactly the same, nervousness.

thats why, no one is going up in January.....We need to keep our nerve, because it resonates on to the pitch during a match.

We have had many years to be forgiven for our feelings......but we need to try and shake them off an be pompous and up beat.

The famous words of Ron Saunders rings in my ears in 1980/81 season .....when a doubting Journalist said to him( all the old uns will remember this) "do you think you will win it" he responded " do you want to bet against us"

and that is the exact spirit from every one associated with our club, that will get us up.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

The only player Bruce played regular was Baker that she my point. The others he didn’t want and sold or loaned out and used the money on his players. Now It’s arguable if those he brought in were better than those he let go but that’s his decision. For me Westwood Amavi and Ayew would all get in our side and improve it. Never mind Veretout Sanchez and Gil. 

Fine, as ever everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. ;) The only player I miss is Baker fwiw. 

• Like 1

Gil, Amavi, Westwood, Bacuna, Cissokho, Kozak & Sanchez for me are all Premier League quality.

The only players of similar quality Bruce has signed are Johnstone, Snodgrass and Terry. Johnstone and Snodgrass are both on loan and Terry is at the end of his career and we'll be lucky if he can still have a positive impact at Premier League level.

For me, the squad is in a far worse position now than when Bruce took over which is the most disappointing thing. He swapped a lot of untapped potential for 'safer bets'', but players with lower ceilings.

If he gets us promoted, then great, but if he doesn't and we change managers, I think we've taken some giant steps backwards under him.

Edited by Michael118
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Michael118 said:

Gil, Amavi, Westwood, Bacuna, Cissokho, Kozak & Sanchez for me are all Premier League quality.

The only players of similar quality Bruce has signed are Johnstone, Snodgrass and Terry. Johnstone and Snodgrass are both on loan and Terry is at the end of his career and we'll be lucky if he can still have a positive impact at Premier League level.

For me, the squad is in a far worse position now than when Bruce took over which is the most disappointing thing. He swapped a lot of untapped potential for 'safer bets'', but players I thought, in general, had much lower ceilings.

If he gets us promoted, then great, but if he doesn't and we change managers, I think we've taken some giant steps backwards under him.

Amavi apart.....that sentence....words fail me!! IMHO

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

For me, the squad is in a far worse position now than when Bruce took over which is the most disappointing thing. He swapped a lot of untapped potential for 'safer bets'', but players with lower ceilings.

I honestly can't tell sometimes if you're being serious or are super-trolling us.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well you seem to be quite vocal about your displeasure with him, silly me for thinking it bothers you.

I've been more entertained this season than I have for the past 7-8 years so yes, on that basis I will tell you I find it entertaining (in comparison to the shit we've put up with since MoN left). I, and others are seeing progression in most if not all aspects of the football club at the moment, of course we could lose the next 3 games and be back at square one but then that's football and you're only as good as your last result and all that.

I just would have thought that after 20 years of not really enjoying football, that a great home record, regular wins and regular goals and trending for promotion might have appeased you, again, silly me.

Again , my displeasure is with the style of football . You did see the bit where I said I was happy when we win .  As for thinking I'd be appeased ,well ,your right ,slightly presumptuous , silly you .

7 hours ago, Dave J said:

Last time I checked this was a forum where all views and opinions are welcome - I suggest you Stevo and others might like to consider this ahead of posting sometimes - I don't actually believe you even understand my post re: Garde - all I said was that he was forced to work with his hands tied behind his back - whilst Bruce like it or not has had resource made available to him - but hey it's a forum.

Well actually this all boils down to opinion - you can throw stats around all day long - but are you sure in your own mind this team will not start blowing cold again - my point is that City apart we are not tearing this league up and are far from consistent in my view.

would I bet money on us finishing 2nd ? Good gosh no I would not

" would you bet against us"

now where have I heard that before?

33 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

100% serious.

The first 6 in particular I rated fairly highly.

For me, they're all Premier League quality players who underperformed while they were here. I honestly can't see how anybody doesn't see it.

Because it’s obviously not true. They’re all shit. Amavi possibly being the exception. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

I think I’ve finally twigged this thread. It’s a piece of absurdist/surrealist performance art where people take turns to invent more and more outlandish arguments, claims and ideas and then take videos of the reactions of ordinary citizens.Which Gallery is it going to be shown at?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because it’s obviously not true. They’re all shit. Amavi possibly being the exception. 

If we had a different manager in 15/16, we would have finished midtable and the general perception of these players would be completely different.

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I think I’ve finally twigged this thread. It’s a piece of absurdist/surrealist performance art where people take turns to invent more and more outlandish arguments, claims and ideas and then take videos of the reactions of ordinary citizens.Which Gallery is it going to be shown at?

you cynic....it's just a simple wind up.

24 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

If we had a different manager in 15/16, we would have finished midtable and the general perception of these players would be completely different.

No. 

• Haha 1

Â