Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

11 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

NOBODY has said that. 

What people have disagreed with is the hyperbolic narrative that he was forced to wheel and deal and had no money to spend. We had some valuable assets that we turned into cash - from which he spent plenty and was backed financially to the point where the club basically went bankrupt. The money he had available to him here will seem like a kings randsome compared to what he is likely to be able to spend at the toon.

Plus he benefited from RDMs spend as some of the players RDM signed were crucial to Steve Bruce's Aston Villa, just as some of the players Bruce signed were critical to Smith's promotion team. 

Nobody has said that, then you go on to basically say the thing you just said nobody has said.... Love it please don't stop this is quality entertainment

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Walk into this thread expecting more capers from Tyneside and we're back to arguing over Potato Head's time here!  Who gives a shit anymore?

He's about to make a laughing stock of Newcastle Utd. Let's enjoy it and breathe a sigh of relief he has been here and gone.

What do you mean Make them a laughing stock, that would imply that they weren't already which isn't true as they have always been a laughing stock.

8 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Nobody has said that, then you go on to basically say the thing you just said nobody has said.... Love it please don't stop this is quality entertainment

If you think that, you clearly have some comprehension issues. Its quite comical really.

32 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

His first winter transfer window we had a net spend of £5m. We were then 21st in net spend in his full season, then we had a net spend of £3m last summer. He wasn't able to reinvest all sales in to signings. I don't think anyone is suggested we were the poorest, least spending team on the planet, but this idea that we were even remotely competing with our outlay under Bruces tenure (Not RDMs) is completely false.

This idea that "He had more to spend than most Championship clubs!" (which is debatable given the above), the fact is he did finish above those clubs. People are acting like he didn't finish 4th and that we spent more than Rotherham and finished below them.

Given that we're the biggest spending club in the country right now, what exactly are people's expectations for Smith? Genuinely interested given people seem so fixated by how much Bruce supposedly spent?

This 100% this. It's madness an outsider reading this would believe that Bruce had us fighting relegation all the time he was here.  The way some are going on and on making out Bruce was the worst manager we've had are making themselves look a bit stupid when you actually look at what he did here by stopping a 6 year slide and then getting us to 1 game away from the premier league in his 1 full season. 

Yes he failed, yes he should have been sacked after the playoff final but we couldn't afford to. When the new owners came in imo he was never going to last the season he was kept on whilst they sorted the finances out and got advice so his replacement would be the correct one (which it was). The fact they kept him instead of sacking him and getting someone like Henry in says to me we have decent owners now.

Edited by Stuartc445
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

This 100% this. It's madness an outsider reading this would believe that Bruce had us fighting relegation all the time he was here.  The way some are going on and on making out Bruce was the worst manager we've had are making themselves look a bit stupid when you actually look at what he did here by stopping a 6 year slide and then getting us to 1 game away from the premier league in his 1 full season. 

Yes he failed, yes he should have been sacked after the playoff final but we couldn't afford to. When the new owners came in imo he was never going to last the season he was kept on whilst they sorted the finances out and got advice so his replacement would be the correct one (which it was). The fact they kept him instead of sacking him and getting someone like Henry in says to me we have decent owners now.

Exactly this.

I would even add, if we had gone up - I would've supported bringing in a new manager over Bruce anyway. Maybe not the classiest move, but I wouldn't have been confident in keeping us up because of his negative style.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

His first winter transfer window we had a net spend of £5m. We were then 21st in net spend in his full season, then we had a net spend of £3m last summer. He wasn't able to reinvest all sales in to signings. I don't think anyone is suggested we were the poorest, least spending team on the planet, but this idea that we were even remotely competing with our outlay under Bruces tenure (Not RDMs) is completely false.

This idea that "He had more to spend than most Championship clubs!" (which is debatable given the above), the fact is he did finish above those clubs. People are acting like he didn't finish 4th and that we spent more than Rotherham and finished below them.

Given that we're the biggest spending club in the country right now, what exactly are people's expectations for Smith? Genuinely interested given people seem so fixated by how much Bruce supposedly spent?

But we weren’t “cash strapped” throughout his tenure, which is what some sections of the media are suggesting/implying. It’s certainly the way Bruce would like to tell the tale. He had to sell a few players to buy the players he wanted, anyone would think he was the only manager ever to face such an indignity.

Regarding Smith, I don’t know, it’s literally a different league in terms of spending, the club are trying to assemble a squad with quality throughout, filling in the sizeable gaps that have appeared through loan players returning, players out of contract etc. I suspect the majority will be very happy with anything other than a relegation battle.

Personally, I’m not fixated on what the figure Bruce spent, net spend or otherwise. My biggest gripe is the pretence his hands were tied during every transfer window. If you can buy Bree for £3m and not play him or if you can offer Bolasie £80 grand a week, etc etc etc then you aren’t exactly on the breadline.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

So basically you are saying that he did well here? Perhaps you should go to the Newcastle forum and tell them how good he is and how well he did here and help reassure them that this is not a bad appointment. 

Let us know how you get on.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

stuart pearce on talksport

he's done well at every club he's been at

he's a good man

this is part of the reason some people hate him, pisses me off that's for sure

Another of the old boys club and his media buddies.

Chris Waddle was spouting some similar shit last week about biggest job if his career.

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Exactly this.

I would even add, if we had gone up - I would've supported bringing in a new manager over Bruce anyway. Maybe not the classiest move, but I wouldn't have been confident in keeping us up because of his negative style.

and that's why I could never buy in to him, from day 1 for me it was if he did get us promoted I would want him gone because his PL record is pretty poor

he always seemed like pissing in the wind to me

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

But we weren’t “cash strapped” throughout his tenure, which is what some sections of the media are suggesting/implying. It’s certainly the way Bruce would like to tell the tale. He had to sell a few players to buy the players he wanted, anyone would think he was the only manager ever to face such an indignity.

Regarding Smith, I don’t know, it’s literally a different league in terms of spending, the club are trying to assemble a squad with quality throughout, filling in the sizeable gaps that have appeared through loan players returning, players out of contract etc. I suspect the majority will be very happy with anything other than a relegation battle.

Personally, I’m not fixated on what the figure Bruce spent, net spend or otherwise. My biggest gripe is the pretence his hands were tied during every transfer window. If you can buy Bree for £3m and not play him or if you can offer Bolasie £80 grand a week, etc etc etc then you aren’t exactly on the breadline.

Exactly this. 

Just now, TheStagMan said:

So basically you are saying that he did well here? Perhaps you should go to the Newcastle forum and tell them how good he is and how well he did here and help reassure them that this is not a bad appointment. 

I agree.

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Different situation Bruce is a championship manager and we appointed him when we was a championship team unlike Newcastle. He did well for us because he managed to stop the slide and got us competitive again which we hadn't been for years, I agree with @kurtsimonw if we had gone up i still would have changed managers because he isn't a premier league manager. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

What do you mean Make them a laughing stock, that would imply that they weren't already which isn't true as they have always been a laughing stock.

An even bigger one now with this clown in town.

It's very entertaining for some of us to witness with the shit we had to endure from him in his time here.

I've said it already, another other club I would have a bit of compassion, but Newcastle have short memories.

Not so long ago laughing at us having Steve Bruce as manager, Relegated and reminding us we will see them in a few years after they went up, laughed we hardly had no money, laughing at us being hours from administration. - on a grudge cause we relegated them! Make no mistake, They certainly enjoyed watching our catastophy with smiles.

So yeah, **** Bruce and **** them and their empty, historyless, shitty little club. 

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You personally are pretty fair and balanced in your view. Some posters seem to defend him like he’s a relative or something and like to constantly point out that those that criticise him on a Steve Bruce thread are ‘obsessed’. 

Anyway anyone know how the Newcastle fans have reacted to his appointment? If it hasn’t been positive then this is has disaster written all over it.  It’s probably the most bizarre appointment since Mcliesh in my opinion. 

My understanding is everyone on here who has so called " defended Bruce" has done so  in aspects of his job only.....Most of his defenders have baulked at the football style.They have defended parts of his work against a full blown on rubbish manager, that has failed to be recognised.

I personally have tried to remind folk of the 24 wins......and all have declared their love for Dean Smith, putting things in perspective.

so i don't know where yo get obsessed from....I would say that claim lies on the other side.

However you are right, His defending of Bruce is balanced.

Ps I hope he loses every game at Newcastle, so where obsession comes from God only knows.

Edited by TRO

Yeah, I don't get it, here's my view on Bruce

*I said the way he moved to Newcastle was a bit of a dick move
*His football is very poor
*I wasn't excited with his appointment
*Even if we were promoted under Bruce, I'd have liked him to be replaced
*I want him to fail, badly, with Newcastle
*I don't think he's been a great manager over his career, other than the odd season
*I felt it was the correct decision to get rid of him, probably a few weeks late if anything

*I think criticisms of him (even some I agree with) are generally overboard.

But it seems, rather than people seeing that most "Bruce defenders" have a list of things they didn't like with him, they focus on the 1 or 2 things where Bruce has been "defended" - and some of those disagreements are only slight.

• Like 3

When we had financial problems and Bruce said he would stick around I think many fans were relieved. We were in a mess and the last thing we needed was more change. 

Once the takeover happened nobody felt Bruce was the right guy and I think even he knew that he was on borrowed time. Owners didn’t seem to want to sack him without giving him a chance and there was no way (understandably) he was going to resign. 

In hindsight as soon as the takeover happened he should have been replaced.

Now that is balanced and I agree.

When we had financial problems and Bruce said he would stick around I think many fans were relieved. We were in a mess and the last thing we needed was more change. 

Once the takeover happened nobody felt Bruce was the right guy and I think even he knew that he was on borrowed time. Owners didn’t seem to want to sack him without giving him a chance and there was no way (understandably) he was going to resign. 

In hindsight as soon as the takeover happened he should have been replaced.

But if you dared suggest this at the time you got some pretty colorful replies from what I remember.

5 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Yeah, I don't get it, here's my view on Bruce

*I said the way he moved to Newcastle was a bit of a dick move
*His football is very poor
*I wasn't excited with his appointment
*Even if we were promoted under Bruce, I'd have liked him to be replaced
*I want him to fail, badly, with Newcastle
*I don't think he's been a great manager over his career, other than the odd season
*I felt it was the correct decision to get rid of him, probably a few weeks late if anything

*I think criticisms of him (even some I agree with) are generally overboard.

But it seems, rather than people seeing that most "Bruce defenders" have a list of things they didn't like with him, they focus on the 1 or 2 things where Bruce has been "defended" - and some of those disagreements are only slight.

Abosolutely, spot on.

Where i vary from you, is just one item.......I wanted him short term to steady the ship and stop the rot, thats all, thats the poor position, i thought the club was in......The rest, i am with you.

I never did see Steve Bruce as a long term solution to our progression, but to be fair, I didn't know who that person should be.....I was a tad sceptical of Dean initially, but delighted in all aspects of the mans work and hope he is with us for a long time.

I think you have it in a nutshell, just a shame some can't comprehend it.

Edited by TRO

Just read he's now at Newcastle, what a move to pull on Wednesday, does bruce have no Loyalty to his job and the people around him. He's sposed to be trying to take Wednesday higher and had only been at it since February or March after joining his team late as is right??

Honestly the guy I do not think he knows what he's doing or even cares what he does to others, the sooner he's out of management the better.

Bruce doesn't deserve to be in the Premier, for me he has done nothing special in management terms to earn it.

Looks like Newcastle could be on way down and have booked a one way trip to the championship, that's worth betting on I think.

Â