Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

You have. 

I have praised elements of what he has done in the past. I supported him to varying degrees, right up to the play off defeat (although in all honesty he had lost me mid-season, but won me back so to speak with the run of victories), and in particular he lost a lot of goodwill when he criticised the fans

What I have done is called out what I consider to be hyperbole in support of Bruce - things like operating on a small budget, "cash-strapped", claims that he was never supported, never backed, did really well to get us to the playoffs etc. 

The problem is then the "other side" come in with their defence, and things deteriorate from there (on both sides) and I think the initial point is lost in the noise, and positions become more and more entrenched. 

On the criticism side a lot of it comes from expectations. Many people see what Steve Bruce did at Villa as decent, the problem is we needed more than decent, and as a club, I and others expected more and felt that the club deserved more. Especially when the man himself says things like "who could they get that is better?" Others were happy to stop the slide and not do a Sunderland. To me (and many others), it felt like we were paying for a Bentley but actually getting a Ford Focus, whilst all the time being told how great the Ford Focus was, even though it did not get us to our destination. The problem is that in my view, the things he did achieve are the things we should have expected from any competent manager - as Dean Smith has since proven.

So criticisms are made, frustrations are aired, what then happens is a point is made, taken out of context and seized upon by the other side, and the discussion disappears down a rabbit hole - this happens in both directions. 

What is certain that I think we can all agree on is that this man is now on his second club since leaving us, and yet he is still dividing the fanbase of this great club, and during the most exciting (and important) transfer window in many many years, the most active forum at the moment is the one arguing about Steve bloody Bruce (which I admit I am guilty of), which is wrong and we need to stop doing it and move on.

We should stop talking about his time here and if we do talk about him, talk about what he is doing now.

fair comment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

:D

Nah, I be terrible in a fight even on a good day.

And at the moment I'm nursing a broken bone in my hand and a dislocated finger.

Much more of a keyboard warrior me 😉

I’d say the keyboards winning if you’re nursing a busted up hand and finger ;)

• Haha 3

Just seen a stat that in his career he's walked out on seven of the ten clubs he managed before Newcastle, and on four occasions after walking  out on teams, he was in another managerial job within a week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, useless said:

Just seen a stat that in his career he's walked out on seven of the ten clubs he managed before Newcastle, and on four occasions after walking  out on teams, he was in another managerial job within a week.

loyalty is his middle name

3 hours ago, useless said:

Just seen a stat that in his career he's walked out on seven of the ten clubs he managed before Newcastle, and on four occasions after walking  out on teams, he was in another managerial job within a week.

Dean Smith "walked out" on Walsall to join Brentford, he then "walked out" Brentford to join us - so is he a dick too? I mean, that's a 100% record of "walking out" right?

Fact is, Managers will almost always "walk out" (i.e. leave, move on from, exit - insert term dependent on angle of comment) or be sacked from a club - the only other option is to retire.

24 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Dean Smith "walked out" on Walsall to join Brentford, he then "walked out" Brentford to join us - so is he a dick too? I mean, that's a 100% record of "walking out" right?

Fact is, Managers will almost always "walk out" (i.e. leave, move on from, exit - insert term dependent on angle of comment) or be sacked from a club - the only other option is to retire.

If he did so a few months after taking the role and they were against him leaving, I would say yes he would be a dick for walking out on them.

I wouldn’t blame him for doing so. But it would be a pretty shit thing to do. 

Walking off = resigning obviously. If all departures are "walking off" why is that figure 7/10 and not 10/10? What did he do in those other 3 scenarios? :lol: 

Steve Bruce getting sacked by Villa and Steve Bruce resigning from Wednesday after a few months and joining Newcastle before compensation was properly sorted out is exactly the same thing apparently. This is actually getting ridiculous.

And it begins..

"Whoever was going to sit in this seat was going to find it difficult" - Steve Bruce

This is the flag pole he will now cling on to during his tenure there whenever the situations get tough.

And regards his transfer budget...

"Make no mistake, this is going to be difficult. I have big boots to fill," Bruce, 58, said at a news conference on Friday.

"I'm under no illusions, there's a bit to do.

"I'm going to need all of my 20 years experience to get my way through choppy waters. But I've got skin as thick as an elephant!"

Sounds to me like 'they need to put wor boots on, roll up wor sleeves, batten down the hatches and flick through wor little black book'.

• Like 2

Â