Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Thanks Dave

Dave....for some this thread is becoming a life support machine for any Aston Villa ills....It appears to be an effigy of the man....quite frankly its a distraction from the good football Dean is offering.

You make reference to the spectacle of football of boredom and being underwhelmed, well it may come as a surprise, but you were not on your own....those comments make sense, but inevitably with some they are wrapped up in a package that includes stuff that is debatable and unfair.

It was his own undoing that we lost that final, but it was not his undoing that we mortgaged everything to do it and subsequently decimated the squad, the "Mess" as some describe it, was not all entirely his doing, but I guess that doesn't fit the agenda.

I know you major on the negatives of his comments to a small section of fans and I am not going to defend that, but frustration rares its ugly head in ways that are misguided...I would fancy he regrets that now....

I guess, If i respond, I have to take responsibility for keeping it alive yes....but not to claim the moral high ground here, but if I thought there was no justice to a degree, I wouldn't respond.

I am not going to write a manuscript of his tenure, but he still left us some good players and I am sure Dean Smith would tell you so too.

There are things/criticisms written about Steve Bruce that are on the money and some IMO wide of the mark.

Fans have there views,on this subject, they are not going change on this subject and I am not going to change mine, but I will tell you something Dave, If the same happens to Dean Smith in the fullness of time, I will defend him against what I see as injustice on selected issues too.

As always - well measured and articulate.

Dont agree with all of it - but this is what keeps us coming here.

3 points today - UTV👍🏻

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

For me after the years of decay at the club we needed a manager like Steve Bruce to come in. He stopped the rot, last season we fought for victories, the players fought for the club. That is better than seeing the likes of Bacuna laughing round the pitch taking the piss out of us. What was it, 27 victories last year? 

Yes he ultimately failed by not getting us up, yes he should’ve left after the play offs (but with all things going in behind the scenes I can see why he didn’t and why the new owners kept him). But for me he is nowhere near one of of our worst managers.

Much where i am positioned, but we have to respect alternative views.

I just want to look forward now and put all my energy in supporting Dean Smith and of course AVFC

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

For me after the years of decay at the club we needed a manager like Steve Bruce to come in. He stopped the rot, last season we fought for victories, the players fought for the club. That is better than seeing the likes of Bacuna laughing round the pitch taking the piss out of us. What was it, 27 victories last year? 

Yes he ultimately failed by not getting us up, yes he should’ve left after the play offs (but with all things going in behind the scenes I can see why he didn’t and why the new owners kept him). But for me he is nowhere near one of of our worst managers.

I really don't get all the hatred myself. Sure, ultimately he left during a run of awful form, and it was probably going to take too long to turn that around so it was the right decision to swap and a good appointment in Smith..however, at times last season we looked just as effective as we do now i.e. winning 10 out of 13 from Jan onwards including 5-0 v Bristol C, 2-0 v Blues, 4-2 Sheff W, 4-1 Wolves, 3-0 Sunderland. Yes there were disappointing slip ups afterwards, but there were always going to be! I always got the feeling Bruce created great team spirit which is 80% of the battle, we were nowhere near as defensive as people make out - we scored more than enough generally - though not as attacking as Smith granted. The financial side I don't see why Bruce gets ALL the criticism either. If he gets the blame for bringing in some cloggers, can we also give him praise for sorting Grealish out, uniting the fans after several awful years and respecting the club, brining in Terry, Getting the best out of Kodjia, giving O'Hare a chance, keeping the net spend within reasonable limits and persevering through his personal trauma to keep us in the promotion hunt then sticking with us through the summer when it unarguably looked like we were against the wall.

Not saying I'm not thoroughly loving Villa under Smith but I am getting weary of this attitude we have that anyone who leaves is mud and anyone in post is untouchable - it's a bit boring. It's not even just here, I had to hear my family going about him like he'd personally financially ruined us and played every game like Pulis. Tin hat prepared.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

I really don't get all the hatred myself. Sure, ultimately he left during a run of awful form, and it was probably going to take too long to turn that around so it was the right decision to swap and a good appointment in Smith..however, at times last season we looked just as effective as we do now i.e. winning 10 out of 13 from Jan onwards including 5-0 v Bristol C, 2-0 v Blues, 4-2 Sheff W, 4-1 Wolves, 3-0 Sunderland. Yes there were disappointing slip ups afterwards, but there were always going to be! I always got the feeling Bruce created great team spirit which is 80% of the battle, we were nowhere near as defensive as people make out - we scored more than enough generally - though not as attacking as Smith granted. The financial side I don't see why Bruce gets ALL the criticism either. If he gets the blame for bringing in some cloggers, can we also give him praise for sorting Grealish out, uniting the fans after several awful years and respecting the club, brining in Terry, Getting the best out of Kodjia, giving O'Hare a chance, keeping the net spend within reasonable limits and persevering through his personal trauma to keep us in the promotion hunt then sticking with us through the summer when it unarguably looked like we were against the wall.

Not saying I'm not thoroughly loving Villa under Smith but I am getting weary of this attitude we have that anyone who leaves is mud and anyone in post is untouchable - it's a bit boring. It's not even just here, I had to hear my family going about him like he'd personally financially ruined us and played every game like Pulis. Tin hat prepared.

What have you gone and done?.....I swear fans on here that may disagree with you ( joke!    They will want you certified) will think I have PM'd you and paid you for this.😀

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Paul Ince on Final Score just said Bruce did a great job here and that we never gave Bruce a chance.

**** hell the media love him.

Same Paul Ince that said Bruce was better choice for United than Solskjaer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Same Paul Ince that said Bruce was better choice for United than Solskjaer

Did he really ? Talk about jobs for the boys. Bruce would have lasted at least until the end of January at Man Utd 

5 hours ago, Mantis said:

Paul Ince on Final Score just said Bruce did a great job here and that we never gave Bruce a chance.

**** hell the media love him.

That will the same Paul Ince who is critical of others conduct around moves despite the famous Man United shirt picture. The same Paul Ince that gave himself the nickname Governor and who claims he is discriminated against due to his colour.

Thos despite getting the boot from Notts County because he was hardly seen at the training ground because he was always playing golf.

The guys an ass hat, he hasn’t a clue.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

If he rocks up at Forest I might have another 9 month absence from Villatalk, this time I’ll be doing time.

Ha I only thought it was a squad that would suit him  more than Sheff Weds. They have Grabban who he knows well and plenty of boring defensive midfield grafters in Yacob, Ben Watson and Colback so a Steve Bruce wet dream right there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

That will the same Paul Ince who is critical of others conduct around moves despite the famous Man United shirt picture. The same Paul Ince that gave himself the nickname Governor and who claims he is discriminated against due to his colour.

Thos despite getting the boot from Notts County because he was hardly seen at the training ground because he was always playing golf.

He also said SB should've got the Man. United job aswell! It's just looking after old mates really.

37 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I agree - totally overrated as a player to boot.

Limited in ability - but in fairness worked his socks off 

The more I think about Bruce’s actions in the summer transfer window the more I’m convinced it was a swipe at the critics.

He was continually criticised for being too defensive so what does he do. Bring in a load of attacking players but let go of a defender and a keeper whilst leaving us ridiculous light at the back.

He wanted the last laught and a payout.

Very petty indeed. 

Well I think it stands to say that in the world of football, you got the elitists, that pack of managers who think there a cut above the rest, that will always back eachother up in the media or on tv. 

So when you have someone like bruce who gets basically made a joke of through all he did and add the cabbage to that, expect a world of defence for him. There are those other managers and pundit that will jump out and defend the guy without question, all because they played in that era with him, came up in management with him and won't let a crowd of fans belittle one of their own.

I think it's now looking like Bruce is Wednesday manager, a 2 million deals is done by looks of it. For some reason Wednesday are taking ages to appoint bruce and fans are not happy with how long its taking.

I can't wait to see what stupidness bruce starts doing, he is capable of the silliest of mistakes. I think he will be the ruin of Wednesday,  but maybe I'm thinking that because of his history with us. I would say I feel sorry for wednesday but us fans who have had the experience of him know what disaster awaits.

I will never forget the crap bruce has put us in, it seems as though sheffield Wednesday need there bruce before they relise they need a coach like ours. now I'm pumped for a Wednesday v villa game more than ever.

Won't we be more peed off with bruce though if he does do the promotion thing at Hillsborough and takes Wednesday up??? while he failed at Villa, I for one would be mad I think if he does get Wednesday promoted, but then maybe it's our own faults also, as some have said we were to impatient with bruce. I'm not saying we should of stuck with bruce any longer, but if it does happen for wednesday next season under bruce, then we would know for certain that we need to be patient more under Smith. I don't think the usual three season some give managers is enough, I think four to five or longer, would be better.

Edited by Dave-R

He'll probably do fine there. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him take them up. Smaller club, less pressure, can play some old clogger tactics and probably have a bunch of thugs built to get results that way. Similar to Warnock at Cardiff. 

Â