Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, DCJonah said:

Beg, steal and borrow isn't really a phrase used other than to make out you haven't got any money. 

John Terry is probably the biggest signing ever made in this league and yet he uses phrases like the above to describe a summer transfer window in which he signed him..

But we don’t have any money, because of FFP. Everything he has spent he’s had to offset. 

That’s the truth. 

None of that implies that we can’t compete financially. He’s not referring to the value of the squad he already has. Just that to add to it we won’t have any money to spend. 

I think we’re at that stage where some people dislike the manager so much that they read what they want to read in his quotes. 

• Like 4

I am baffled how someone who usually is very balanced @Stevo985 can't see how Bruce is spinning what is going on. I would be happy to admit I am wrong if someone can find something about Bruce saying how much money has been spent on the squad and the talent in the squad. 

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I am baffled how someone who usually is very balanced @Stevo985 can't see how Bruce is spinning what is going on. I would be happy to admit I am wrong if someone can find something about Bruce saying how much money has been spent on the squad and the talent in the squad. 

He probably is spinning it a little bit. All managers do that.

But you soecifcally said that he was saying he had the lowest budget in the league, and when pointed out that that was ludicrous you said he implied that we can’t compete financially. 

If you’d said something like “he’s overplaying our lack of money a bit” then I’d have no issue. 

But you’ve exaggerated your point into nonsense. He’s said no such thing to my knowledge although I’m happy to be proved wrong. 

Edited by Stevo985

Saying this like beg, steal and borrow and get favours for mates etc is just spin to me. He already had a squad filled with high profile players and big signings. Only McCormack and Tshibola have not worked out. He has relied on our biggest signings from last year in Jedi, Chester, Kodjia and Adomah so he can't talk about the shit players he is inherited. In fact the shit players he inherited generated fees of c£20m. Only really Newcastle could have done that last year. That allowed him to spend and he spent around £28m in January. That is crazy money in the Championship. I totally understand with the summer window. I get that and I agree with him but even then we got Terry and Snodgrass. I can't think of another club apart from Boro that could have got them.

Edited by omariqy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But we don’t have any money, because of FFP. Everything he has spent he’s had to offset. 

That’s the truth. 

None of that implies that we can’t compete financially. He’s not referring to the value of the squad he already has. Just that to add to it we won’t have any money to spend. 

I think we’re at that stage where some people dislike the manager so much that they read what they want to read in his quotes. 

FFP is an issue. Why does he keep mentioning it though? It's clearly to spin how he is viewed otherwise he'd have mentioned it once and been done with it  

And while FFP is an issue he has still been able to build an excellent short term championship squad. Having his spending offset by sales is also a fortunate position compared to other teams in this league. All teams need to follow FFP, how many had the desirable players we had that could be sold for the fees we managed to sell them for? 

His comments make it seem like he is hard done by yet how many other clubs in this league would Terry and Snodgrass sign for? How many other teams have a 3rd choice striker signed for £12 million +? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He probably is spinning it a little bit. All managers do that.

But you soecifcally said that he was saying he had the lowest budget in the league, and when pointed out that that was ludicrous you said he implied that we can’t compete financially. 

If you’d said something like “he’s overplaying our lack of money a bit” then I’d have no issue. 

But you’ve exaggerated your point into nonsense. He’s said no such thing to my knowledge although I’m happy to be proved wrong. 

Ok fair enough I get what you are saying. I may have used the wrong wording. He is definitely spinning it though and telling one side of the story.

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Saying this like beg, steal and borrow and get favours for mates etc is just spin to me. He already had a squad filled with high profile players and big signings. Only McCormack and Tshibola have not worked out. He has relied on our biggest signings from last year in Jedi, Chester, Kodjia and Adomah so he can't talk about the shit players he is inherited. In fact the shit players he inherited generated fees of c£20m. Only really Newcastle could have done that last year. That allowed him to spend and he spend around £28m in January. That is crazy money in the Championship. I totally understand with the summer window. I get that and I agree with him but even then we got Terry and Snodgrass. I can't think of another club apart from Boro that could have got them.

Yep. Exactly why i said talking about lowering the wage bill and negative net spend ignores a lot. Seems to be ignored on purpose. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

FFP is an issue. Why does he keep mentioning it though? It's clearly to spin how he is viewed otherwise he'd have mentioned it once and been done with it  

And while FFP is an issue he has still been able to build an excellent short term championship squad. Having his spending offset by sales is also a fortunate position compared to other teams in this league. All teams need to follow FFP, how many had the desirable players we had that could be sold for the fees we managed to sell them for? 

His comments make it seem like he is hard done by yet how many other clubs in this league would Terry and Snodgrass sign for? How many other teams have a 3rd choice striker signed for £12 million +? 

I agree with a lot of this. 

But these weren’t the points I was arguing. 

None of the above lines up with Bruce claiming he has the lowest budget in the league or that we can’t compete financially. 

That’s what my posts were disputing. 

55 minutes ago, omariqy said:

He really does. He never talks about how good his players are, what talent he has at his disposal. He is very downtrodden and plays down the talent he has. I get why he does it. It helps with managing expectations. 

Bang on my friend!.. i.e he is out his depth here and what other way to deflect that away from himself by coming out with the constant bullshit that he does!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

“I have said before we are strapped with FFP (Financial Fair Play). We will have to beg, steal and borrow like we did in the summer, look at our options and see if one of my mates can do me a turn."

said this a few months ago. He has consistently made out like he is hard done by at this club. 

He is a clearing in the woods of a manager who is out of his depth it feels.. once a bluenose - always a blue nose sentiment feel to it if you will.

I cannot wait for the day until he's out of here.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
Spelling
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What part of that isn’t true?

and what part of that implies that we “can’t compete financially”?

Would you accept that such comments make us look even more small time than that gypsy camp of a football club across the city?

He has absolute no tact or interview etiquette about him. What a total dick!

**News flash**  The reason we have no money now Brucie is because you blew it all on players that you don't know how to utilise properly you bell end!

With such comments he is obviously going back to his Birmingham City managerial days where he DID have to steal, borrow and pull peoples pants down to get his signings!

• Like 1

See have no issues with him being a former Blues manager. I don't care. I wanted him in the role. I expected it to be ugly at times and it has been. I expected better with the squad though and I don't like managers lying/spinning. I am hoping Bristol is a sign of things to come and not just a one off.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Somewhere to the tune of £35m in 15 months! - That is just on transfers that did have fee's.

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

See have no issues with him being a former Blues manager. I don't care. I wanted him in the role. I expected it to be ugly at times and it has been. I expected better with the squad though and I don't like managers lying/spinning. I am hoping Bristol is a sign of things to come and not just a one off.

My head tells me I want it as a sign of things to come, but my heart is niggling away that it was a 'Fluke' if you will. Time will tell.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You said he makes out he has the lowest budget in the Championship and we should feel sorry for him. 

That is absolute nonsense. 

With this "beg, steal and borrow" rhetoric, he is certainly trying to lower the expectations, and convey the message he's been hard done by the club. Why else would he mention it? 

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes, he conveniently "forgets" to mention this part. 

8 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He is a clearing in the woods of a manager who is out of his depth it feels.. once a bluenose - always a blue nose sentiment feel to it if you will.

I cannot wait for the day until he's out of here.

Is Pep Guardiola one of his mates? 

Â