Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I didn't see today's game and have no idea how anybody played so my next comments have nothing to do with today!

I hope Bruce doesn't just throw Terry straight back into the first team for the next league game. Elphick lost his place originally because of the mistakes he made and rightly so. Players have done the same since and have been left out. Players have been injured or suspended and had to wait their chance again - Taylor, Elmo, Lansbury etc. So, Elphick has come in and been superb and for that reason I hope Bruce is consistent and leaves him in until he deserves to be left out. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, villarocker said:

I didn't see today's game and have no idea how anybody played so my next comments have nothing to do with today!

I hope Bruce doesn't just throw Terry straight back into the first team for the next league game. Elphick lost his place originally because of the mistakes he made and rightly so. Players have done the same since and have been left out. Players have been injured or suspended and had to wait their chance again - Taylor, Elmo, Lansbury etc. So, Elphick has come in and been superb and for that reason I hope Bruce is consistent and leaves him in until he deserves to be left out. 

Fair comment although I do think terry will start and not elphick . 

17 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Agnew must have taken the week off 

I expect big things from the next game, considering we have surrendered the cup the way we have done.

Not only did he take the week off, he took the instruction book with him. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NeilS said:

With the Championship season being a tough 46 game stretch, I am not overly  fussed about having a cup run that may have distracted us from our number one aim of promotion.

I still can’t help but feel a little disappointed though, as I am never happy to lose. It was a game for the fringe players to stake a claim, which sadly they did not. I had a feeling all week we would lose today, it is the Villa way to raise your hopes with a big win only to follow that with a crushing defeat. 

Well that’s the point, once again it was the manner of the defeat. If he had tried some youngsters and gone for it, then a bad result would have been more acceptable. But he didn’t blood a single youngster and we were played off the pitch. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NeilS said:

With the Championship season being a tough 46 game stretch, I am not overly  fussed about having a cup run that may have distracted us from our number one aim of promotion.

I still can’t help but feel a little disappointed though, as I am never happy to lose. It was a game for the fringe players to stake a claim, which sadly they did not. I had a feeling all week we would lose today, it is the Villa way to raise your hopes with a big win only to follow that with a crushing defeat. 

Im with you. Extra games that could be used for much needs rest....till we inevitably go out anyway.

I'd be fuming about a replay!

Happy with the result it's a shame it had to come with the extra pressure but on the manager (and everyone else) and the hit to confidence. A win on the weekend and this will be forgotten.

37 minutes ago, Eastie said:

That team should have been good enough to win yes , the fact that they weren’t  suggests maybe they should look at themselves - players far more to blame for  me today than the manager and I’ve been one of his biggest critics in recent weeks .

Posh were up for it and our players weren’t .

I wasn't there, but would be inclined to accept the feasibility of that.

53 minutes ago, Eastie said:

In some ways it justifies why Bruce doesn’t start those players very often - they blew their chance to shine . 

Which players? Bree who played CB? RDL? OHare? Who played well. Onomah was awful yet always gets picked. Birkir is attacking midfielder yet gets pushed every where. Who actually blew there chance? Did you go to the game?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Let's look at the facts. 

He started Green who was very clearly not fit for a start.  I said with 10 mins of the 1st half to go that Green would not be back out.

He does the right thing at Half Time in getting hism off but then brings Lansbury into the middle moving Bjarnason and O'Hare out wide, our 2 most effective midfielders mostly nullifying them and making us far worse as a team. 

He makes no changes when it's obvious a League 1 team are about to steamroll over us at home, but then reacts when it's too late.

He totally ignores one of the worst midfield performances I have ever witnessed from Onomah and leaves him on taking off the only players who are actually looking like creating anything when bringing the belated subs on. 

He's destroyed last weeks feelgood factor. 

All in all it would be difficult to imagine how Mr Bruce could have got today much worse if he had planned it. 

Bruce treats other clubs youngsters better than he does our own. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I agree with every bit of that Neil apart from you're worry that we would lose today. Even though I'm not a fan of Steve Bruce, and accepting of the fact that he would make an awful lot of changes, Peterborough are a bog standard League 1 team and i really didn't imagine losing to them so comprehensively. 

With changes in mind there are 2 ways to view today, either you think;

i) The squad is crap. 

ii) Bruce is crap. 

Given that Bruce signed 6 of this lot, even if you agree with the option 1, it follows that we must also agree on option 2?

Edited by av1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well this team certainly know how to play........with the fans emotions.

100%. The game was important in terms of fact that our priorities lie elsewhere, and we were never going to win the FA cup. But as a paying punter i expect a little bit more than being played off the park by Peterborough. 

Today was disappointing however people might want to dress up 'a meaningless fixture'. 

18 minutes ago, macandally said:

Bang on, utterly stinking team selection, performance and management.  All momentum lost due to poor management

People were screaming for resting players and giving some of the youngsters and fringe players a go. He did yet they did not deliver. I for one am glad it wasnt a pointless replay that we would have lost. There was no chester, adomah, Grealish, hogan, snodgrass, or jedinak. If it was a fall strength team then maybe you might have a point.

If we dont beat forest then bruce deserves critism. Forest is 10x more important than this game 

• Like 3

Ignoring that Green apparently wasn’t ready for a start, simply picking Clark example instead of Taylor we could’ve set up as:

Steer

Bree Clark Terry RDL

Bjarnasson Hourihane Onomah Green

O’Hare

Davis

and it already looks much better. Just a bizarre lineup and many questions have to be asked of the manager, whether you care about being in the cup or not.

Edited by fightoffyour

24 minutes ago, av1 said:

100%. The game was important in terms of fact that our priorities lie elsewhere, and we were never going to win the FA cup. But as a paying punter i expect a little bit more than being played off the park by Peterborough. 

Today was disappointing however people might want to dress up 'a meaningless fixture'. 

Surprised so many fans turned up for it.  Masochists! 

Â