Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree. I've said many times I'm not a fan of Bruce but when I see post after post about what a bad manager he is and how literally ANYBODY could do a better job I feel the urge to defend him. 

He is not doing a good enough job but to suggest all our problems lie with one man and changing that man will mean promotion is absurd! 

Thats what motivates me to defend him.......and yes i agree.

However, i am not intransigent enough to ignore his short comings.

"We just remain crap and learn to be happy with it"

just quote me one poster on here who is happy with our quality of football.

they may seek solace in some of the results, they may offer levels of mitigation.....but happy, Nah.......I think you have misinterpreted that.

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I disagree completely.

if we were set up with

SJ

Bree/RDL/Elmo Chester Terry Taylor

That defence should be able to keep a clean sheet

Snod Lansbury/Onomah Grealish/O‘Hare Hourihane Adomah

Hogan/Davis/Gaby/Kodjia

those MF/CF front 6 could press the F*** out of EVERY team in the CH and half the PL teams Burnley and downwards in the table.

I couldn't possibly disagree with you more

23 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Will he tell Whelan to stop making blind passes back to the keeper?  Will Bruce bench Whelan when he does?  Did Bruce tell Whelan to stop making blind passes back to the keeper last time he did it? (This isn’t the first) if so will he bench Whelan now?  He didn't bench him last time.

Why would he do any of those things?

Whelan isn't a 2 year old. He knows he **** up. He doesn't need Steve Bruce to tell him what he's done.

And Whelan has been one of our best players since the Blues game. He won't be benched for a mistake, and rightly so.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

"We just remain crap and learn to be happy with it"

just quote me one poster on here who is happy with our quality of football.

they may seek solace in some of the results, they may offer levels of mitigation.....but happy, Nah.......I think you have misinterpreted that.

yes, but you can't blame me for getting one word wrong, because I got a lot of other words right, and other people have certainly used worse words. 

More seriously, if I'd said we learn to tolerate it, would have no complaints at all with my post?  In which case, you're much quicker to hold a poster accountable than a manager.    

4 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

You know full well yourself that ^ this comment is purely for effect

Sad response.."......and yours was beyond reproach?, sure.

Edited by TRO

34 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Like addicts with a death wish, we cannot resist returning to the scab, certain that one last chance to pick at the crust and expose the moist canker, will offer insights not previously understood. It won't, we are all still dying.

On that cheerful note......

36 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Like addicts with a death wish, we cannot resist returning to the scab, certain that one last chance to pick at the crust and expose the moist canker, will offer insights not previously understood. It won't, we are all still dying.

I actually found that quite apt

Edited by Grasshopper

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree. I've said many times I'm not a fan of Bruce but when I see post after post about what a bad manager he is and how literally ANYBODY could do a better job I feel the urge to defend him. 

He is not doing a good enough job but to suggest all our problems lie with one man and changing that man will mean promotion is absurd! 

I think you're making this up. I've not read posts where people claim ANYBODY could do better or that sacking him means promotion. 

You're creating made up posts to defend your position of constantly defending him. 

That's absurd. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think you're making this up. I've not read posts where people claim ANYBODY could do better or that sacking him means promotion. 

You're creating made up posts to defend your position of constantly defending him. 

That's absurd. 

There are some posters who think that.

Probably not many at all and they may post the same thing over and over again but it has been said.  @Grasshopper will tell you any manager could do a better job. 

I'm not constantly defending him either. In fact I wouldn't even say I do defend the job he is doing at Villa because it's hard to do that.

I just try and keep it as balanced debate rather than it being as simple as - Bruce is manager so we are not getting promoted. 

I'm not looking for an argument. I just don't think Bruce is the reason for all our problems. 

Saying that if he was sacked in the morning I wouldn't be upset about it.

• Like 1

I thought we were in the mix for automatic until this month started - however 2 points   from 9 coupled with other results now makes it far more unlikely and probably the play offs is the best hope now .

Fir the money spent under xia and Bruce spent a fair amount of it whatever he says anything other than a top 2 finish with the squad assembled is failure .

we are well adrift of a Cardiff side who have spent peanuts in comparison but who have a wily manager who has forged a style and team spirit which gets them results .

i can accept poor football if it brings results on this league - we are now facing 4 very tough games and I cannot see us taking even 6 points from them which could leave us around 10th by new year - we will see what the next fortnight brings but there can be no excuses for starting a game without a striker - he could have given gabby and hogan 30 minutes each if needed - he has mckirdy scoring for fun in the u23 side and o hare provides more creativity than onomah in my opinion .

we were beaten at Derby the moment the team was named - Bruce has got to throw caution to the wind and use his creative  players .

Should he be sacked now - probably not but he is is lucky he wasn’t fired in September - anything other than promotion and he must be gone , however failure this season will mean a very different team next season with our better players having to be sold I fear and a lot more  of the younger lads coming through - 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

A lot can happen in 4 games. It's an absolutely abysmal run for all teams involved as there are far too many in such a short space of time. The Championship is nowhere near as cut and dry as some seem to make out. 

I agree. Bruce or no Bruce there is still a long way to go! 

We are 7th in the form chart. The meltdown may be slightly premature. It could however be just in a few weeks down. 

Hopefully there is no call for one. 

If we can all agree that Bruce has most likely failed in his target of automatic promotion and start to believe playoffs is still very much a possibility. It might actually happen. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

56 minutes ago, Eastie said:

we were beaten at Derby the moment the team was named - Bruce has got to throw caution to the wind and use his creative  players .

Bruce has a fear of losing games that leads to negative line ups. This gives the opposition the initiative and sends a message to our players and fans, were scared to lose and we are willing to risk the chance of winning a game to prevent it.This is Bruce and he has never changed , we got what we expected and so did the chairman who's football knowledge brought him here. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Tro, there are sides in this league getting similar results to us playing a far superior brand of football with players widely regarded by experienced pros to be of a far lower quality than ours.

So whilst i agree with you to a degree, i think a different manger could get far more out of the players we have than Bruce is getting.

Very true - there are some small clubs that have been very well run over a number of years to get to where they are now. We have been run with neglect for around 6 or 7 years - quite how we stayed in the prem as long as we did is some achievement in itself.  None of that is to excuse Bruce who is doing poorly with the resources at his disposal - however with players coming back from injury and the chance to bring in a decent loan striker - I am not writing of this season just yet.

Bruce is accountable for results sure - but in my opinion when he arrived the infrastructure was probably close to zero. The chap I sit next follows Brentford quite a lot. He reckons beyond training and picking the team Dean Smith doesn't do much else- the scouting and recruitment is handled by others at the club - (also said DS isn't held in that high regard by Brentford fans). 

I would love to have seen us bounce back at first or even second attempt - if we don't we have to keep taking baby steps in the right direction - with no obvious candidate available to Bruce ,personally I would hold back until such a candidate becomes available - jetting in an overseas unknown , or a small club 'Dean Smith' type would be disastrous for us in IMO. 

33 minutes ago, hippo said:

Very true - there are some small clubs that have been very well run over a number of years to get to where they are now. We have been run with neglect for around 6 or 7 years - quite how we stayed in the prem as long as we did is some achievement in itself.  None of that is to excuse Bruce who is doing poorly with the resources at his disposal - however with players coming back from injury and the chance to bring in a decent loan striker - I am not writing of this season just yet.

Bruce is accountable for results sure - but in my opinion when he arrived the infrastructure was probably close to zero. The chap I sit next follows Brentford quite a lot. He reckons beyond training and picking the team Dean Smith doesn't do much else- the scouting and recruitment is handled by others at the club - (also said DS isn't held in that high regard by Brentford fans). 

I would love to have seen us bounce back at first or even second attempt - if we don't we have to keep taking baby steps in the right direction - with no obvious candidate available to Bruce ,personally I would hold back until such a candidate becomes available - jetting in an overseas unknown , or a small club 'Dean Smith' type would be disastrous for us in IMO. 

This is where we lack in my opinion - the likes of Warner and Nuno have came in and shown what can be done with no experience if this league - Round and Wnyess  went for the safe option in Bruce because they are both old school - football has changed and progressed , not sure that round and Wyness  have moved with it along with Bruce . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

Â