Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

As is saying 'we are way off' where we should be IMO. 

I've commented on how irritating I also find the binary approach where you have to pick a side and defend it at all costs before. It's as if people think they'll look weak or something if they change their minds or just have a more balanced view. I think it might be a symptom of the gradual Americanisation of our society - a total lack of subtlety, nuance or shading. DERPOCRAT OR REPUBLIDER! CHOOSE NOW AND FOREVER BE THAT WAY!

Utter garbage!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why would he do any of those things?

Whelan isn't a 2 year old. He knows he **** up. He doesn't need Steve Bruce to tell him what he's done.

And Whelan has been one of our best players since the Blues game. He won't be benched for a mistake, and rightly so.

So, no accountability, then?  Can I work for you?

31 minutes ago, hippo said:

Bruce is on a rolling 1 year contract - that IMO protects the club more than Bruce - we can get rid of him at any point for a years salary £1-1.5m ?  - Had he been on bog standard 3 or 4 year deal it would be more costly to get rid of him.  

It was a mistake. He should have been offered a contract till the end of the season with an option to 1 yr extend if he either narrowly missed out on promotion (by bad luck or something) or indeed got us up.

The extension would also garantee him the rest of the 1yr sum if he failed that extension year to meet the clubs targets

That would have been fair

The coaching staff won't be on anything like that salary - in relative terms they will cost pennies to get rid of - I really don't see that protecting Bruce at all 

then you missed my point

The cost of „sack one - sack all“ would take us over ffp

I think Bruce would pretty easily get another championship Job - if he wants it. 

yeah 4 promotions, british, media friends....etc

I don't view the picture if we don't get promoted as gloomy as you do. Sure some of the better players will leave - but we are a championship club - if PL clubs come in for Chester, Kjodia we would probably have little option anyway. 

how much will it cost to replace them?

We are a tough to beat in unspectacular team - any new manager coming in has to tweak what is there , he isn't facing the total rebuild that RDM was faced with ...(and did poorly...) 

tweak it with how much to spend?

Whatever the reason, blame bruce or not - we need a guy who can stick the ball in the net - sort that and we are one of the better championship teams - either now or next season...

I believe we spent 30+mill on those types

We are F***ed

it only time that keeps it away from being apparent

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

So, no accountability, then?  Can I work for you?

I don't punish those who work for me for making an occasional mistake. You can interpret that as a lack of accountability if you like. But I can assure you that's not what it is.

If I had an employee performing well and then I punished him/her as soon as he/she made a mistake, I'd be a shit boss.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't punish those who work for me for making an occasional mistake. You can interpret that as a lack of accountability if you like. But I can assure you that's not what it is.

If I had an employee performing well and then I punished him as soon as he or she made a mistake, I'd be a shit boss.

If you dont address the problem then you‘re surely a shit boss by defintion?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

It was a mistake. He should have been offered a contract till the end of the season with an option to 1 yr extend if he either narrowly missed out on promotion (by bad luck or something) or indeed got us up.

The extension would also garantee him the rest of the 1yr sum if he failed that extension year to meet the clubs targets

Maybe so. But the original point was that a 1 year rolling contact helps keep Bruce in situ - I was just pointing out that it actually can make him cheaper and easier to get rid of than on a standard fixed term contract.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Maybe so. But the original point was that a 1 year rolling contact helps keep Bruce in situ - I was just pointing out that it actually can make him cheaper and easier to get rid of than on a standard fixed term contract.

Also, offering a contract doesn't mean it's accepted.

grasshopper's idea is a good one, but one that Bruce and any other decent manager would have probably turned down.

Maybe so. But the original point was that a 1 year rolling contact helps keep Bruce in situ

only to positive effect if he‘s doing well

He is not

I was just pointing out that it actually can make him cheaper and easier to get rid of than on a standard fixed term contract.

On a fixed „till the end if the season“ contract, the compensation amount reduces with every paycheck he gets paid.

There is nothing cheaper about a „roller“ over an „end of season“ contract

Easier to get rid of is not a matter of fact

To get rid of someone all you have to do is inform them that they are no longer employed and pay up the compensation.

It is simply that „easy“

(you need a board with balls though)

• Like 1

Maybe so. But the original point was that a 1 year rolling contact helps keep Bruce in situ

only to positive effect if he‘s doing well

He is not

I was just pointing out that it actually can make him cheaper and easier to get rid of than on a standard fixed term contract.

On a fixed „till the end if the season“ contract, the compensation amount reduces with every paycheck he gets paid.

There is nothing cheaper about a „roller“ over an „end of season“ contract

Easier to get rid of is not a matter of fact

To get rid of someone all you have to do is inform them that they are no longer employed and pay up the compensation.

It is simply that „easy“

(you need a board with balls though)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Also interesting to note how Terry praised Bruce last night. 

Usually a sign that something is imminent when players start praising their manager.. (especially when they are doing shit) usually see's them gone after 2 more shit results.

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Usually a sign that something is imminent when players start praising their manager.. (especially when they are doing shit) usually see's them gone after 2 more shit results.

I dont believe this to be the case at all in this situation. I think Terry has huge respect for Bruce thats why he came here. I also do not believe Bruce has lost the changing room either. I think its a combo of poor tactics and fatigue thats cost us last few games 

6 minutes ago, sne said:

One of the reasons this thread (and most others) look like it does is because this is very much a "pass/fail" season.

Only if we are promoted is this season a success, anything else and we will have failed. Think most, regardless where you stand will agree with this.

With that in mind it's obviously too early to judge, but anyone committed like we are will not just sit quiet for a whole season and just wait.

For me we should be further on with the building of a team, squad and way of playing after this lone and the amount of money invested.

One thing that was lifted from the more "glass half full" people was that it might have been a blessing in disguise that we were not promoted  last season as the team was no where near ready for the PL (fully agree it wasn't) and that one more season in the Championship to rebuild would do us good (didn't agree with that).

With half a season passed I think it's safe to say that we have failed at that. This squad is just as unready for the PL as it was last season, doubt we have a single player who would be ready to be a starter in the PL. 

And our manager have failed to build a team out of these players who have anything resembling a cohesion or tactic to compensate for the lack of individual skill needed in the PL.

To get out of the Championship you don't need a PL squad or amazing team tactics, it's overall poor and no team but maybe Wolves is close to the finished article.

My issue with Bruce is that even thou I didn't rate him very high I expected him to make much more out of the resources at hand given the time he's been given.

I just haven't seen anything to give me hope he can get us out of here. And since that is the only merit for the manager I don't see it ending the way we all want.

Absolutely spot on.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I dont believe this to be the case at all in this situation. I think Terry has huge respect for Bruce thats why he came here. I also do not believe Bruce has lost the changing room either. I think its a combo of poor tactics and fatigue thats cost us last few games 

Terry only came cause:

He didn't want to play for another PL team.

We offered more money than anyone else plus promotional bonuses.

We were among the favourites to be promoted.

I also agree that I don't think Bruce has lost the changing room either... yet.

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Terry only came cause:

He didn't want to play for another PL team.

We offered more money than anyone else plus promotional bonuses.

We were among the favourites to be promoted.

I also agree that I don't think Bruce has lost the changing room either... yet.

I dont think the money was the main focus to be honest. I think bruce did play  a major role in him coming here. Terry probably had interest from the likes of Boro and other top championship clubs. He also could have gone abroad if he wanted to for I am sure more money. 

I think if Bruce doesn;'t win weekend he is in massive trouble of losing the fans as a majority of them have been patient and seen strides have been made. But with a big crowd expected and on sky they are going to HAVE to put a performance in. 

Â