Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I agree calderwood is shit, he needs to go with Bruce. Why Bruce didn't attempt to bring phelan in over the summer I will never know.

i had a dream last night that Bruce was sacked after reading and we appointed dean smith before weekend and we won next game 3-0! God if only we could have that kind of wins week in and week out like the old days, not this utter shit we have had over the last 3 years

34 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not claiming to. But I'm not the one saying my approach was the sensible one and everyone else was wrong. 

I may have got it completely wrong regarding Bruce, I said so many times. But having the opinion he should go because of the issues I saw was not the foolish thing to do IMO. 

Firstly, I never once said everyone else was wrong, you just made that up. My main issue was with the way dissenters chose to express their concerns. As I said above, I didn't/don't have any particular affection for Bruce, I simply prefer taking a balanced view and attempting to articulate it in the same way. On balance, he's finished, so you were right all along.

Rinse and repeat until we find someone competent enough to actually take this club forward. Club is too big for him and when he keeps on making the same mistakes week in week out we all know he has ran out of ideas and that time is up. He has been backed; this is his squad. Bree for example may well turn out rubbish but persisting with Hutton is much worse at this point, doesn’t utilise the squad and then moans about FFP and balancing the books. Not good enough. Signs the likes of Hogan and Hourihane has no idea how to get the best out them, lumping it forward isn’t the way so persisting with it like it’s some magic formula is mind boggling. The sheer neglect the previous managers including this current manager has had to width/wingers is scandalous especially in this league. 

• Like 1

We don't need any more changes, there's been too many in recent years. We have to find stability.

However, we have to find the right person to bring that stability. Bruce is not that person. Unfortunately, we have to make another change, the sooner the better.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is we tried gambles with lambert, sherwood, and garde. At the time a lot of people on here wanted someone proven at this level and a "safe pair of hands" 

wagner was deemed another gamble one we couldn't really afford to take, so I don't think it was a bad decision to appoint Bruce ahead of Wagner. It's easy to say now it was mistake now  that Wagner got Huddersfield up.

there is no guarantees he would have done any better. He may have but we will never know.

But it's not hindsight. Many said Wagner was the progressive and right choice and many said Bruce was not but the "tried and trusted" view won out sadly 

No doubt in my mind that under Wagner we would be a PL team now. We need to find the next Wagner now cos that ship has sailed

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

But it's not hindsight. Many said Wagner was the progressive and right choice and many said Bruce was not but the "tried and trusted" view won out sadly 

No doubt in my mind that under Wagner we would be a PL team now. We need to find the next Wagner now cos that ship has sailed

I don't think we would have been. Wagner has never managed at a huge club like this where the pressure is immense. He quite easily could have flopped.

I would give Dean Smith a go at it if I was Tony Xia. He's a Villa fan and would share the same ambitions and frustrations as us and would surely produce better football than Bruce and co. I also think the fans would be even more understanding and patient with him, being a fan too. 

Bruce is going to lose his job because of multiple reasons but it's his own fault when picking the likes of Hutton, Gabby and Bacuna when everyone else knew they are very poor. He's bought Bree and needs to play him. Lansbury is being played all over the park and probably just needs to play goalkeeper now to complete the set. When Bruce makes subs it seems to never be a straight swap and two or three players need to change around - it's odd. 

We struggled last season whenever Jedinak and Kodjia were missing and absolutely nothing has changed. Get Lansbury out of the team, play O'Hare behind Hogan. Bree needs to play right back. Gabby needs to get out of the team and maybe play Adomah or Elmohamady left wing until Green is fit again. 

It seems that those of us that had faith in Bruce had it very much misplaced. Yesterday, the writing was on the wall. Yesterday, the tide turned. He needs to go. He knows it, we know it and we just have to wait for Tony to act upon it.

Conpletely agree now that we need a young, dynamic manager who can get this decent squad playing to their potential. I think Tony is already plotting his next move. A Silva, Wagner type. I think, when Tony was saying how impressed he was with something Silva done at the end of the game at VP, then his mind might be turned to this kind of movement!

I doubt it has turned Tony's head,he'll always have back up plans but I doubt he has considered it in the slightest yet. He will be disappointed with our start but like any plan and any business plan, you always expect hurdles and/or bad times, it's the reaction from the bad times that people like him look at not the bad time itself. If we react poorly he will look at his options but if we step up he'll just see it as a glitch.

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't think we would have been. Wagner has never managed at a huge club like this where the pressure is immense. He quite easily could have flopped.

That's your view but the only evidence we have to draw on does not support that. He's taken a team with few expectations and fewer resources to the PL - we missed out big time

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I doubt it has turned Tony's head,he'll always have back up plans but I doubt he has considered it in the slightest yet. He will be disappointed with our start but like any plan and any business plan, you always expect hurdles and/or bad times, it's the reaction from the bad times that people like him look at not the bad time itself. If we react poorly he will look at his options but if we step up he'll just see it as a glitch.

If we step up? 

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

It would be foolhardy to have not considered it in the slightest and I would expect being the businessman he is that he will be prepared to pull the trigger to protect his investment - there have been too many glitches under Bruce - there should be no way back now . 

Enough is enough !!!!

Should have gone at the end of last year. What a waste of another pre season and season. 

If it's true that we could have got Wagner instead of Bruce then we got what we deserved really. 

I'm so glad I've found another hobby which has completely overtaken my interest in football. I'd be going **** crazy if I followed football/villa in the same way I did a few years ago. 

Edited by PieFacE

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

If we step up? 

Even being poor we could just as easy win the next two games as lose them as while we are playing poorly somebody like hogan could nick a goal or two in a game and should've scored yesterday or Terry scores a goal from corner.

Just now, nick76 said:

Even being poor we could just as easy win the next two games as lose them as while we are playing poorly somebody like hogan could nick a goal or two in a game and should've scored yesterday or Terry scores a goal from corner.

We could win the next two. It wouldn't change anything though, the same problems would still be there lurking under the positive results waiting to scupper us again.

Bruce just won't win enough games to get us up so we should make a change sooner rather than later. Bruce sounds like he has given up already.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

It would be foolhardy to have not considered it in the slightest and I would expect being the businessman he is that he will be prepared to pull the trigger to protect his investment - there have been too many glitches under Bruce - there should be no way back now . 

Enough is enough !!!!

Not going to happen though, he didn't go in the summer so not likely to go so soon now especially after Tony let Bruce bring in his players this summer. He's not going to think of plan B after 2 league games, that's just what us over reacting football fans do not real life

Just now, TrentVilla said:

We could win the next two. It wouldn't change anything though, the same problems would still be there lurking under the positive results waiting to scupper us again.

Bruce just won't win enough games to get us up so we should make a change sooner rather than later. Bruce sounds like he has given up already.

The interview given by Bruce sounded like a man throwing in the towel and accepting he has failed .

• Like 1

Â