Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

If he was any use as a manager we would of come out 2nd half with belief we were gonna win the game especially after scoring just before half time 

This is something else which has baffled me, we consistently come out looking MORE shite than we did in the first half consistently!

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is something else which has baffled me, we consistently come out looking MORE shite than we did in the first half consistently!

Maybe the half time kebab just knocks the stuffing out of them.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

get rid now and look abroad for a progressive manager that can get us doing the basics right and has a decent style of play.

Hard to find many decent candidates two-thirds of the way through the season. It's a gamble but I would find a caretaker and try and find the right man to join us at the start of the summer

1 hour ago, BOF said:

If we weren't playing well I'd probably still want to give him time, but we ARE playing well.  We're just not currently getting results.  What if we beat Newcastle?  OK what if we don't, but what if we do?  The good play will eventually get its rewards.  We're not a mile off here.  This would be the worst time to pull the trigger.

Are we?

Brentford was appalling. Forest was appalling. Ipswich wasn't horrendous but there's no way I could say we played well. I didn't see last night but I can't imagine it was a really positive performance. 

Di Matteo was sacked for 1 win in 11 games (or 10 points from 11 games). Bruce is now 8 games without a win (1 win in 9) (or 5 points from 9 games). I think if we fail to win one of the next two (bearing in mind we have Newcastle away next still!) I think he has to go. Criminal given the amount we've spent in January.

8 minutes ago, NulliSecundus said:

Di Matteo was sacked for 1 win in 11 games (or 10 points from 11 games). Bruce is now 8 games without a win (1 win in 9) (or 5 points from 9 games). I think if we fail to win one of the next two (bearing in mind we have Newcastle away next still!) I think he has to go. Criminal given the amount we've spent in January.

Agreed, and likely to be 5 points from 11 after Toon and Derby - twice as bad as the record that got RDM sacked

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Are we?

Brentford was appalling. Forest was appalling. Ipswich wasn't horrendous but there's no way I could say we played well. I didn't see last night but I can't imagine it was a really positive performance.

I think we are, yes.  Brentford and Forest were our first 2 games after the transfer window.  Some people literally castigating Hourihane after 90 minutes of football.  The mistake Bruce made, and admitted to, was throwing all the signings on in that game.  Forest we were unlucky, and it ended bitterly, but we'll agree to disagree on the performance in that one.  Ipswich and Barnsley were good performances that didn't get what they deserved, and that's the point I'm making.  The play is there and the luck isn't.

Pound for pound, we have genuinely been the worst, most embarrassing team in the entire football league over the last 5 years. I genuinely hand on heart wish this club no longer existed. Its not like having a child who lets you down because you play a part in raising the child so the buck stops with you. With this joke of a team, all we can do i watch the mess like idiots.

44 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Bruce Out!!!!

(latest monday final whistle)

Is that "otherwise there will be a major rant from me"? If so, can we not just get the rant from you now, out of the way? I mean, it's clear you no longer want Bruce here so maybe you could share with us your thoughts regarding who we should replace him with and, if you think there's any way back for Bruce?

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think we are, yes.  Brentford and Forest were our first 2 games after the transfer window.  Some people literally castigating Hourihane after 90 minutes of football.  The mistake Bruce made, and admitted to, was throwing all the signings on in that game.  Forest we were unlucky, and it ended bitterly, but we'll agree to disagree on the performance in that one.  Ipswich and Barnsley were good performances that didn't get what they deserved, and that's the point I'm making.  The play is there and the luck isn't.

I'd go with this BOF, last night we were fine until that shocking decision to gift them a lead. We didn't deserve to be behind at HT and I thought 4231 was showing igns of being a decent formation - even if I personally wouldn't have chosen it - then we went 442 and lost our way. Another team came and took their chances, whilst in the last two games we've had 44 'attempts' and scored only one. Before Xmas we weren't creating and were conceding so things have moved on ...

I don't think we're being particularly creative now.

how many of the 44 chances were clear cut or even half chances? Not many for me.

admittedly every shot against us does seem to be going in at the minute which makes us look a lot more wasteful, but I don't buy the lots of shots = lots of chances/creativity = good performance line 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slowandlow said:

but I don't buy the lots of shots = lots of chances/creativity = good performance line 

It's not just a shots=good performance line though.  By all accounts the movement last night was good too.  We were playing well. 

1 minute ago, BOF said:

It's not just a shots=good performance line though.  By all accounts the movement last night was good too.  We were playing well. 

All accounts?? My view was we played decent up to the point they scored then had a bit of momentum for all of 2 or 3 mins up to half time

not great other than that. Still too much hoofing from baker. Partly due to a lack of movement

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

Would you not agree though that our 2nd half performances are just woeful. If you only play for 45 minutes it needs to be an exceptional 45 to get 3 points

Here's what I know:

1. Just because you pay a player lots of money, it doesn't guarantee they are successful on the field. Hogan's wages are 7 x times more than he was getting at Brentford. Does that make him a better player. No. It still needs the manager to guide the player and have a style of play that suits the player and team.

2. Bruce does not take training. He delegates all training to Calderwood. Why?

3. The Man management of McCormack was a disgrace. The fact that he thought it necessary to drive up to his house and check teh gates just sums up teh elationship he has with the team.

It really is time for him to go. Maybe not now, but at the end of the season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

Would you not agree though that our 2nd half performances are just woeful. If you only play for 45 minutes it needs to be an exceptional 45 to get 3 points

Yep that's a mystery.  Is it fitness, or mentality?  The 1st half performances show us that they are well able to play.  So it's neither the personnel nor the system that's the problem.  How we continue that into the 2nd half is the big question.  And obviously that change in luck would be nice too.  Perhaps if we got what our endevour deserved in the first half then the heads wouldn't be so low in the 2nd ?  I dunno.

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

We played OK last night. We had a lot of good situations but the final ball or decision making at times was poor. You couldn't say we missed a lot of good chances though and despite a lot of shots I don't remember their keeper having to make any good saves.

There is no doubt though that performances haven't yielded the points they deserved overall recently. Certainly against Preston, Ipswich, Barnsley on the balance of play we could have taken 7 or 9 points and no one would say we'd been fortunate. A point at Forest was probably also deserved.

A lot of struggling sides have a hard luck story tough. Certainly RDM earlier in the season could point to a number of games where had we had more a rub of the green we'd have taken another 7 or 8 points during his 11 games in charge. 

I don't want Bruce sacked but few managers will survive an extended dire run of more than around 10 games. We are now on a run of no win in 8, 2 points from a possible 24. I'd imagine that run goes to no win in 11 and he is in serious trouble. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

My take for what it's worth....

Sacking him now will achieve little. New manager comes in and has the ready made 'not my players' excuse, and we're back to square one. We have to stick with Bruce, whatever happens between now and May. It is pretty much his team now. Players he has kept in the side are clearly players he rates. I don't think we'll go down, but if we do we do, we wont be the first or the last....at some point the club has to wake up and smell the coffee, clearly relegation to the championship hasn't worked.

I actually don't think we will go up next season either. It's going to take 18-24 months to stabilise in the championship from where we are right now in my opinion. I was chatting to a friend on facebook last night who follows Barnsley, he was at the game last night. He summed us up in a nutshell...we still play like we're in the premier league. No tempo, no passion, no urgency, no pressure on the ball. He actually couldn't believe how easy it was to come to Villa park and win. We had a very interesting chat about Hourihane. At Barnsley he had a player alongside him in midfield that did all his running, allowing him to get on the ball....we have bought him in and he is not being allowed to thrive in that way. 

This got me thinking about our recruitment policy. Spending big money really is not necessary to get out of this league. We have spent more money this season than Brentford have in their entire history....and they gave us a lesson. Barnsley have spent next to nothing, lost their two best players last month.....and they gave us a lesson. Something is fundamentally wrong at the club...still!

These smaller clubs have a system and a style of play. They recruit players that will fit into that system. It's not rocket science. If they do sack their manager, or he moves on to better things, they bring in a manager that suits the players/philosophy in place. Revolutionary!

We seem to just go out and buy the 'name' and then try and get all the names to play together...and it just don't work!

Good examples...we buy two full backs in January, presumably after watching them play as full backs for their previous clubs. We bring them in and play them Wing Back! 3 games later neither are playing, for whatever reason.

We bought a proven goalscorer in McCormack, who has scored goals everywhere he's been, every season. Has he ever done that playing as a lone striker?..No...where did we play him?..yep, lone striker. 

Gestede scored goals as part of a front 2 for Blackburn, thriving off crosses. Was he ever used in a front 2? No. Did we ever cross the ball for him? No....has he ever shown any form anywhere as a hold the ball up type lone striker?...No! Then our fans slate him for being poor.

The list goes on and on. For me this is one of the reasons Rowett was so successful at Blues. As money was not an option for him, he had to find players that would fit his style and with the hunger to progress. 

In a way I hope Dr Xia pulls the plug on future funding. The last 3/4 windows proves that spending money without a plan is completely futile, and in a lot of respects detrimental to team building. The big money players are expected to perform from day one, or they are classes as 'crap' by our experts fan base. Make no mistake, most of these big money signings will be gone inside 3 years, I'll be amazed if we recoup what we have laid out again! 

For me Bruce has to decide how he wants to set up, decide on whether we are passing side or a more direct side. Decide if we are a high pressing side or counter attacking team....and then get players in that thrive in the chosen system/formation/tactic.

This is Level 1, day one team management surely?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I wish we played for 45 minutes. We usually switch off after 15.

Â