Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I wanted Bruce because I was desperate for us to get back to the Premier League asap, which meant I was willing to sacrifice "sexy" football. (Plus as I've said he has always seemed like a nice, direct bloke "an honest lad" if you will.

Now that is not happening anymore, I am firmly in the uproot the whole management team, and throw a shitload of money at a high tech, modern thinking regime which will start working NOW and have us set for next season and beyond.

A young manager which will well and truly grow with the club.

Screw this, I have thought about it and the time is NOW.

We have pretty much brought the championships best players, and yes it's a new team but they are not only disjointed, they have literally morphed into shit.

Teams with great new players are always disjointed, but still find a way to put together results either through moments of brilliance etc.

We can't even do that because of the system and tactics, as well as player placement.

(I actually like 3-5-2) but it seems we are indeed 5-3-2 ing it!

• Like 3

I guess Bruce will have a few more games to turn it around, but if we lose to Barnsley on Tuesday the next home game against Derby could be his last.

The problem is where do we go from here ? On paper we have one of the best squads ever assembled in this league, 2 managers have been backed by the owner to get their players in, yet there is no change.

This season, we've had one manager who won the Champions League, and one who got promoted 4 times from this division, and yet nothing changes. 

So assuming Bruce isn't here at the end of the season, who could we bring in to work with these players and make a difference ?

on another thought, is Chris Kirkland still available on a free transfer ? 

8 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

He's not playing even able to implement negative tactics correctly. Embarrassing. Hoofball to no one. At least 8 men just in front of our box. Signings that don't fit his s¤itty tactics. makes me want to cry.

It's pathetic really. Playing what amounts to 5-3-2 at home to Ipswich is a disgrace, Taylor and Hutton are hardly marauding wing backs known for their quality of service into the box. If you have to play 'wing backs' then at least pick Amavi who might be half way decent in that role given he has a decent delivery into the box and a lot more pace than Taylor. 

He signs two ball playing central midfielders in Hourihane and Lansbury and sets us up to play through the midfield. So you have no real quality service going into the box, and no real quality in terms of through balls coming from central midfield, just kick and rush. Absolutely disgusting football and an absolutely disgusting result. 

I see people quoting the shots stats, but this just reminds me of the early days under RDM where we were having lots of shots on goal, but not creating many great clear cut chances in the penalty area, and ultimately either drawing or losing these games. 

Bruce is doing a terrible job and it is purely down to his pathetic tactics and fossilised footballing ideas, rather than any 'curse' that is looming over the club. At this rate we are heading to League One.

• Like 3

No one expects SB to take Villa to play-off. But the bottom line is to stay in this league.

Check the league table now, we are only 7 points away from relegation. Considering the fact that we are at the top of the poorest form table, relegation is REAL now.

A lot of VTers argued that we should give SB more time, at least till the end of the season. Yes, I do agree.

But we have to stay in this league at the end of the season, surely? 16 games to play, 7 points away from safe, we will get relegated if we don't improve.

And Aston Villa playing in League one? Not only a disgrace, but it is not impossible that the club staying there (perhaps) forever, and maybe got bankrupt very soon.

3-4 more games, if less than 3 points, SB has to go. Relegating this club to league one is a CRIME.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Woodytom said:

The jobs too big for him. He's a journeyman manager used to journeymen footballers and perhaps the odd star (dugarry for example). He's the ultimate grinder out of results at a poor level. Any higher he's pretty useless.

He has no experience of taking a decent footballing side (which we have the players to be) anywhere and has no (to my knowledge) any proof he can stop a rot. He just ends up looking sorry for himself and closing his eyes in response to the latest **** up.

Enough of this 'stop sacking the manager nonsense' and just start employing the right one!! 

Oh okay, good idea, let's do that then. Hang on though, what if appointing 'the right one' doesn't work immediately though?

Should we get angry, frustrated and sack him in 5 months too, despite the fact we were all sure he was progressive and a much better fit than Bruce?

Ok, yeah, let's do it right now. No time to waste. Can't take this pain any more, we absolutely have to have new hope immediately.

14 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

No one expects SB to take Villa to play-off. But the bottom line is to stay in this league.

Check the league table now, we are only 7 points away from relegation. Considering the fact that we are at the top of the poorest form table, relegation is REAL now.

A lot of VTers argued that we should give SB more time, at least till the end of the season. Yes, I do agree.

But we have to stay in this league at the end of the season, surely? 16 games to play, 7 points away from safe, we will get relegated if we don't improve.

And Aston Villa playing in League one? Not only a disgrace, but it is not impossible that the club staying there (perhaps) forever, and maybe got bankrupt very soon.

3-4 more games, if less than 3 points, SB has to go. Relegating this club to league one is a CRIME.

If all Bruce will do this season is keep us up then he has to be sacked at the end of the season. Whilst I've given up on play offs, we need to finish as high as possible i.e. in the top half, get very good results and play well in order to have some sort of momentum going into next season. Bruce needs to turn around and show that he can get this team playing and get good results, if all he will do is scrape some wins here and there, having more results like yesterday and have us bottom half not far from the drop zone then that's a terrible indictment of his managerial skills and will have proven to us that he's not the man for the job.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

Do our players look like they're getting better the more time they spend with Bruce?

Do our tactics, formations and subs look like they're getting better the more time we spend with Bruce?

Our results improving the more time we spend with Bruce?

No. 

I think we're kidding ourselves if we think more time is going to turn a Bruce villa team into promotion. 

• Like 3

Xia will stick with him in my opinion and has tweeted overnight words to that effect - his latest tweet minutes ago stating -

"4years,we had culture asking changes if things not going well. We need rebuild but stability is important. Dedication after belongingness."

Edited by Eastie

33 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

I'm thinking you are referring to now but when joining the club as manager playoffs were the very least most fans were expecting from Bruce. I honestly feel losing the next two games will see Bruce sacked despite what Xia is tweeting.

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Xia will stick with him in my opinion and has tweeted overnight words to that effect - his latest tweet minutes ago stating -

"4years,we had culture asking changes if things not going well. We need rebuild but stability is important. Dedication after belongingness."

"Belongingness", now there's a fine word. Give The Oxford English Dictionary a call! You've got to love The Doc :)

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

He needs time, we can't keep chopping every 5 minutes we need stability, for better or worse we have Bruce. I would however review Calderwood we've not won since he joined, has he put noses out of joint? 

Naa Bruce's has always been like that. 

21 minutes ago, striker said:

I'm thinking you are referring to now but when joining the club as manager playoffs were the very least most fans were expecting from Bruce. I honestly feel losing the next two games will see Bruce sacked despite what Xia is tweeting.

Not a chance in hell of Bruce being sacked in 2 games time even if we lost both heavily .

He will get to the summer at least .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

Naa Bruce's has always been like that. 

Ditch Calder wood who Bruce has never worked with before and bring in mike phelan as his number 2 , they work well together and got hull promoted .

Phelan was unavailable when calderwood got the job but results have been poor under his training and phelan is now available .

1 hour ago, dukes said:

This season, we've had one manager who won the Champions League, and one who got promoted 4 times from this division, and yet nothing changes. 

Depends how you look a it, both those managers were also sacked from previous jobs for being s**t. 

2 hours ago, sonic_bouma said:

It is defendable when we had 22 shots to their 11. Are you saying if we had four defenders we would have had 32 shots or 42 shots? We played attacking enough yesterday to win that game. 

I don't know where the 22 shots comes from ? I remember at half time one bloke said his phone stats told him we'd had 17 attempts and we all pissed ourselves.

We certainly didn't threaten to score 17 goals so I'm not sure what counted.

But what DID count was we lost at home to a poor side. We set up incredibly negatively again, and lost again, it isn't 'luck' it's 11 points from 12 games or thereabouts.

And the NATURE of those chances we did create is the issue. We had some corners which resulted in scrambled efforts.  There is most your attempts ... we had a few free kicks around the box, there's a few more, and we had a few genuine efforts of course.

But there was no creativity, no football, no attempt to put any meaning ngfil passages of play together. At least half the time our attacks were either long balls from Baker to thin air or left at the feet of Hutton of all people.

We certainly could've won, if that's your point, but we were a long long way from being in any sort of control at any stage, and played - again - in a way which was poor to watch, failed to get anywhere near the best out of our best players, and failed, again.

• Like 1

For me as bad as we have been recently I think ALOT of our problems stem from all the manager changes and changes. I think we definitely need stability.

I think bruce should be given until end of season see where we are at. If it gets worse then questions should be asked.

What I would love for one just once the fans even when we hit a rough spell get behind the manager and team. Against Barnsley fans sing Bruce's name to show he hasn't lost the fan Base.  I think that would reflect so well on the team instead of all the moaning and.complaining.  always a majority of the fan Base ask for the head of the manager when you hit a rough patch.

Ferguson would have been sacked after a few games of the fan Base bck then was like it is now. The impatience is ridiculous 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Do our players look like they're getting better the more time they spend with Bruce?

Do our tactics, formations and subs look like they're getting better the more time we spend with Bruce?

Our results improving the more time we spend with Bruce?

Seriously, though. 

This is painfully true, and people think we should allow him more time and carry on doing what he's doing now, Why? He's not doing anything differently. It's the same, week in, week out. These tactics aren't suddenly going to start working. If anything, more opposition scouts are going to learn exactly how to counteract us, and it'll get worse. 

• Like 1

Â