Next Villa Manager

Richard

Assuming the process was started a couple of games ago when it became obvious things weren't going to improve, I'd expect those weeks to have been used to evaluate who possible replacements might be.  Some discreet calls to agents and a list to be drawn up with Round, Wyness and Tony agreeing on the general direction.  When the trigger was pulled those approaches would be more formal.  I would want those approached to have looked at us and come up with a plan - short term, long term, recruitment, philosophy etc before being interviewed.  Again assuming that for most it will have come out of the blue (Wagner etc), that's going to take a few days.  Then have interviews - see who aligns best with the Club's direction, negotiate contracts, team they want to have with them, due diligence on dodgy pasts etc.  

I'd be amazed and frankly worried the process hasn't been thorough enough if it's done within a week or two.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Has the good Dr. himself not ruled out Bruce now through listening to the Villa fans.

It would be the wrong appointment through 3/4 fans will be at him from the word go. He will have no cushions, no time, no breathing space.

It would be McLeish MKII all over again.

I can't agree with this mate, for 2 reasons. 

I) Though he probably isn't my first choice there is no evidence to suggust that 3/4 of the fan base oppose the appointment of Bruce. On the contrary, of the couple of polls I've seen in the rags (which will admittedly be a small sample size) Bruce has came out on top. 

II) I think the appointment of Bruce would bare no resemblance at all to that of Mcleish. There was genuine and large scale anger with Mcleish, this wouldn't be the case with Bruce. You also need to look at the clubs postion at the point of each search, Mcleish was not anywhere near the correct appointment at the time. Steve Bruce may not be the best appointment either, but he is certainly not the worst, and i think that the vast majority would go along with that, even if Bruce isn't their prefered choice. 

Its interesting that Murphy and the Mail keep naming Dyche as a target.  

I be frankly amazed if we could tempt a PL manager. 

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

I can't agree with this mate, for 2 reasons. 

I) Though he probably isn't my first choice there is no evidence to suggust that 3/4 of the fan base oppose the appointment of Bruce. On the contrary, of the couple of polls I've seen in the rags (which will admittedly be a small sample size) Bruce has came out on top. 

II) I think the appointment of Bruce would bare no resemblance at all to that of Mcleish. There was genuine and large scale anger with Mcleish, this wouldn't be the case with Bruce. You also need to look at the clubs postion at the point of each search, Mcleish was not anywhere near the correct appointment at the time. Steve Bruce may not be the best appointment either, but he is certainly not the worst, and i think that the vast majority would go along with that, even if Bruce isn't their prefered choice. 

Bruce for me.

Wagner could be great. He could be average, or he could be poor.

Bruce probably won't be great. He probably will be average, he probably won't be poor.

I don't think we're really in the position to be taking gambles. Wait until we're back established in the prem before taking a punt on an unknown. Far less risk then.

I'm sure we have a list in order of preference who we want but until you sound them out you don't know if they're interested. The talk of lists is a good way of not boxing yourself in and then finding out your no1 isn't interested. Who ever we get in the club will say was their first choice and that's good for all parties. I think we want Wagner but will settle for Bruce if he doesn't want to come. I'd be happy with both. I'd even like Dean Smith but in our current plight I don't think it'd be the best move for him especially being a Villa fan. We can't allow sentiment rule decisions at present if Bruce got the job I'd be looking at Smith to take over in 2 years or so. 

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Don't think there's a chance in hell that Dyche would come anywhere near us. Could be career suicide for him.  

Or the best move of it!! We are probably the biggest club he could get but that's disregarding where we  are now. I'm sure if we were in the PL most would assume it's a no brainer. Sir Graham dropped a division because he knew our potential I'd love Dyche to do the same. Slim but you never know. 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Don't think there's a chance in hell that Dyche would come anywhere near us. Could be career suicide for him.  

I agree that it is highly unlikely, not sure about career suicide though mate.

When you consider that the top 10 or so clubs in the PL will always go for a "big name" manager, the only way that the vast majority of managers are ever going to compete at the top end of the league is if they take a team there themselves, and he isn't doing that with Burnley. 

Now i know that its an old cliche to talk about "higher ceilings" and i know that we are currently near the bottom of the championship, but lets look at it from the outside. We have a new chairman at the club who obviously takes no responsibility for our relegation. He has made bold (if a little excitable) claims of taking the club to the top, and has backed up that claim by providing his manager with significant funds. The only problem with the plan so far is that RDM was useless. 

Far from career suicide, this is an absolutely incredible opportunity for someone, i really do believe that. 

When you look at every manager we've had since MON, the job is looking like a bit of a graveyard to be honest. 

To be fair, in my lifetime as a Villa fan, I don't think any manager has gone onto something better apart from MON (if you count the ROI job being better?!?*)

* Or the Sunderland job :trollface:

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

When you look at every manager we've had since MON, the job is looking like a bit of a graveyard to be honest. 

To be fair, in my lifetime as a Villa fan, I don't think any manager has gone onto something better apart from MON (if you count the ROI job being better?!?*)

* Or the Sunderland job :trollface:

Take every manager before MON

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You don't sound out other managers unless you have already made the decision, 100%, to sack your current manager. You don't risk undermining him like that.

Really? I believe exactly the opposite. Same with players that are targeted. Same in every line of business, on the higher up level.