Next Villa Manager

Richard

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

I absolutely agree with the thrust of your post.  Not sure I agree on the end bit as for me Wagner is just flavour of the month.  I want someone with at least some length of time of achieving something on his CV

I get that and to be honest I'm favouring Wagner because my knowledge of managers outside of this country is very limited.  If there's a better guy out there in a similar vein but with a greater degree of success then I'm all for him.

One thing I would say is that, whilst I was arguing the need for quality rather than just experience, I do think that any manager coming in from abroad has to deal with that 'settling in' period.  You know, relocating and adjusting to a new country, culture etc... Wagner has a head start on that and would be better equipped to hit the ground running so to speak.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

We have proven players? Proven at what? I cannot think of one player of ours that is proven at success, which is what we want / need.

Elphick got promoted from this league, Adomah too, and Jedinak, and Chester, and Mccormack, and Da Laet.

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

@Richard the idea that Steve Bruce is on the decline doesn't really fit with Hull being promoted. 

I don't doubt his ability in this league I doubt it in the next, appoint Bruce and all we've done is fought our way back to being a painfully dull prem team happy to be there clinging on to 17th every season 

He has a ceiling and it's one I'm bored of, I'm not desperate to get promoted , not if it means going back to that, I want a running jump in to the prem

If we appoint Bruce he'll either get us promoted and be sacked when we're shit in the prem or he'll be shit in the championship and get sacked, either way he won't last 3 years 

• Like 1

That is one hell of a smoke screen.

I bet really it will be Roberto Manchini we get with the Dr. showing the world he really means business!

Go on Tony son, make it happen!

Steve Cotterill    :crylaugh::crylaugh:

Edited by AvfcRigo82

5 minutes ago, sidcowans21 said:

Sky sources : 'Steve Cotterill will be interviews for the Villa job'

That came out the blue.

Ring the bells of optimism, Steve Cotterill's coming in.

.. I think (hope) in this case the 'Sky sauces' are somewhat off.

Just now, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Am I the only one annoyed about all these supposed 'interviews'? IMO if you're sacking a manager you should have a pretty clear idea about who the next one should be, should have even approached them, etc. Hated this under Lerner. 

I'm not annoyed by them because it's paper talk.  What's happening in reality behind the scenes probably bears no relation to the shit we read about.  So you should only be annoyed if you've decided that the papers are always telling the truth.

"If there is any glimmer of chance of getting Dyche or Howe, they both fall in the middle and offer the best balance.   Would be delighted with either and would be a massive statement of intent."

Really?  I think they might be decent appointments.  But I would hardly think that the rest of the division would be thinking "oh **** - Villa are really going for it now".  Also given Xia's stated ambition I hardly think that either will get us to the top levels of the Premier League.  A massive statement of intent would be signing a manager who a team in the Top 10 of the Premier League would be happy with.  A bit like the BFS at Newcastle.  That is a massive statement of intent.  I don't think we'll be getting a massive statement of intent this time around - as we are too much of a gamble (big difference between fighting for survival in the PL than in the Championship).

7 minutes ago, sidcowans21 said:

Sky sources : 'Steve Cotterill will be interviewd for the Villa job'

That came out the blue.

The Steve Round effect ?  - doesn't want a ballsy manager , wants someone he can push around...

Just now, BOF said:

I'm not annoyed by them because it's paper talk.  What's happening in reality behind the scenes probably bears no relation to the shit we read about.  So you should only be annoyed if you've decided that the papers are always telling the truth.

I think they're telling the truth an awful lot more often than we would give them credit for and has been proven again by the latest Villa developments, e.g. Grealish story, RDM given 2 games, etc. 

Just now, allani said:

"If there is any glimmer of chance of getting Dyche or Howe, they both fall in the middle and offer the best balance.   Would be delighted with either and would be a massive statement of intent."

Really?  I think they might be decent appointments.  But I would hardly think that the rest of the division would be thinking "oh **** - Villa are really going for it now".  Also given Xia's stated ambition I hardly think that either will get us to the top levels of the Premier League.  A massive statement of intent would be signing a manager who a team in the Top 10 of the Premier League would be happy with.  A bit like the BFS at Newcastle.  That is a massive statement of intent.  I don't think we'll be getting a massive statement of intent this time around - as we are too much of a gamble (big difference between fighting for survival in the PL than in the Championship).

"Really going for it now" might be hiring an ex-Champions League winner...  Or, we could hire someone who really knows what they're doing.  But I think any talk of Eddie Howe is embarrassing tbh.  The notion that we have any right to even make that phonecall and expect anything but convulsions of laughter on the other end of the phone is frankly insulting to Bournemouth AFC.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't doubt his ability in this league I doubt it in the next, appoint Bruce and all we've done is fought our way back to being a painfully dull prem team happy to be there clinging on to 17th every season

He has a ceiling and it's one I'm bored of, I'm not desperate to get promoted , not if it means going back to that, I want a running jump in to the prem

If we appoint Bruce he'll either get us promoted and be sacked when we're shit in the prem or he'll be shit in the championship and get sacked, either way he won't last 3 years

Sometimes I am lost for words...

Lets not hire the guy who has a great chance of achieving our immediate goal of getting promoted because he might not be the man for the phase after that?????

So whats the solution then?

5 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I think they're telling the truth an awful lot more often than we would give them credit for and has been proven again by the latest Villa developments, e.g. Grealish story, RDM given 2 games, etc. 

It very much depends on the source.  "The press" is an umbrella term that encompasses good journalists and hacks.  I would believe certain individuals and I would dismiss the rest. So it's not enough for me to hear "Sky Sources", especially if it's followed by a handy link to SkyBet.